The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 1, 2020, 03:34 PM   #1
KyJim

Snake Bit

I really dithered back and forth about it, but I finally decided to buy a 2020 Python (4.25 inch barrel) from an area dealer. He has it on hold and I'm picking it up Tuesday. And I did something normally against my principles, agreeing to pay over MSRP. Why? Because I really wanted a first-year reissue of the gun and it's my retirement gift to myself (soon to retire).

I'm convinced that some problems reported about the earliest manufactured guns were minor and Colt has resolved them. I also continue to be impressed with my reissued King Cobra, especially its trigger. If the Python's trigger matches it, I'll be happy.

If nothing comes up, I plan on taking it to the range the same day I pick it up.
Old November 1, 2020, 03:57 PM   #2
RayGee

Congrats on the the retirement and the Python! A fitting gift indeed. Best of luck with both.

I looked at several but eventually bought myself a S&W 629 5". Have been seeing way too many bears during hunting season the last few years and really liked the 5" option.

Regards -------------
Old November 1, 2020, 07:23 PM   #3
KyJim

Quote:
Congrats on the the retirement and the Python! A fitting gift indeed. Best of luck with both.
Thanks! Chances are that I'll end up doing something down the road. Other than one semester as a freshman in college, I've never been without a job for more than two weeks since I was 16 years old (that is a blessing), so I'm looking forward to a little down time.
Old November 1, 2020, 07:44 PM   #4
ilmonster

Let us know your thoughts after getting it out to the range. Congrats! Interesting revolver and very good looking.
Old November 2, 2020, 07:11 AM   #5
CajunBass

Congratulations on the retirement, and the Python. You're going to like both.

I took an early retirement in 2008. I still work part-time, as much for something to do as anything else.

And it helps me to buy toys. (Shameless showing off here.)

The 6" one is one of the first. SN is in the 2700 range. I've got about 800 rounds through it. Mostly 357's. The sideplate screws worked loose, but a couple of seconds with a screwdriver took care of it. No more problems.

The 4.2" one has a SN in the 5500 range. I haven't fired it yet, mostly because the Covid hit hard about the time I got it and I haven't wanted to go to the range with all the restrictions they have these days. I suppose I'll get around to it one of these days.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 2, 2020, 02:30 PM   #6
KyJim

Beautiful guns. Makes me keener to get mine.
Old November 2, 2020, 03:07 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

Congrats on your retirement,,,
I'm only 68 days away from mine.

That Colt is a fine choice for a retirement gun,,,
I too am going to go that route,,,
But mine will be a rifle.

Again,,,
Congratulations!

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 2, 2020, 07:24 PM   #8
dyl

Congrats!

I would love to hear a comparison between the old and new Colts. With S&W for example, some stuff has changed like an inner barrel sleeve, MIM, trigger lock holes etc, and I can't always divine whether it's an improvement for the user, or improvement for the production line / cost savings. It would be interesting to see what has changed between the old and new Colts.
Old November 2, 2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

The old Python and the new Python are two totally different designs.
The only thing they have in common are interchangeable grips.
EVERYTHING else is different.

The 2020 Python is essentially a much modified 1980's Colt King Cobra transfer bar safety/ignition design, but with a trigger return system that at least resembles the old Python's rebound lever.
It has a "vee" mainspring, but it's much different then the old Colt mainspring.

The new Python corrects any issues of being a "weak" action as the old model was accused of being, and the new Python is one strong gun both in the frame/cylinder and the action.

Owners report accuracy is as good, and often better then the legendary original Python, but the double action trigger feels different, and the single action is somewhat heavier then the old model.
The good part of the new double action is it doesn't "stack" like the old trigger, but still has the old Colt "Bank Vault Lockup" of the cylinder when the trigger is pulled.

Grips will interchange with any of the old Colt's going back to the 1908 Army Special up to the original Python, and holsters interchange with the 6 inch models.
The 4 1/4 inch barrel guns will have fit problems with closed toe holsters and may stick out slightly on open toe holsters, but the frame and cylinder are the same size and shape as the old Python.

From all accounts Colt has a world beater of a ultra strong, tough, and extremely accurate new Python that doesn't use two piece barrels or MIM main parts.
Old November 2, 2020, 09:24 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Congrats on both fronts.

I've got a 1961 Python, amazing gun, accurate and a wonderful trigger. I've got a new King Cobra and an old King Cobra. To me, the new King, while smaller in size, is simply an amazing gun. Much better than the old King.

If the new Python comes close to the new standard, it's going to be amazing.

I can't wait till you get yours and post a review or two. I think you are going to have one hell of a retirement gift to yourself.

Congrats on both again.
Old November 2, 2020, 09:26 PM   #11
dyl

Wow. Nice. Dfariswheel, that makes me think I'll have to get one someday. Here I thought after I get a S&W 686 I would have my bases covered. They managed to stay away from MIM parts? How did they do that? My guess... the price It's nice to have some makers keep to traditional methods so it's at least on the market somewhere.
Old November 3, 2020, 08:15 PM   #12
KyJim

I picked it up today and got to the range very briefly. Only had a chance to put about 40 rounds through it, a handful of .38 specials and some 125 gr and 158 gr magnums.
Quote:
but the double action trigger feels different, and the single action is somewhat heavier then the old model.
The good part of the new double action is it doesn't "stack" like the old trigger, but still has the old Colt "Bank Vault Lockup" of the cylinder when the trigger is pulled.
I would agree with this. I'm pleased with the trigger, but it does feel different than my older Pythons. I was expecting this because I have one of the new King Cobras and the triggers feel similar to each other.

I can't really say much about accuracy. I was shooting to get a feel for the gun. And the fact I haven't been to the range in quite awhile showed (it also showed when I did a quick test with a couple of 1911s I brought along).

The finish is nice, certainly not as nice as the old Colt blue and not as nice as the "ultimate stainless" on one of my other Pythons. But I'm pleased with it.
Old November 6, 2020, 06:03 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

While not the triggers of old, I think the new KC trigger is much better than the old KC triggers.

I think I would be happy with a new Python based on that alone. My 1961 Python is a bit beat, but it's accurate with an amazing trigger but I'm open to a new Python for sure.

Look forward to hearing more about yours KyJim.
Old November 6, 2020, 01:10 PM   #14
hdbiker

You won't be sorry friend, I bought the one gun I always wanted my whole working life just before I retired. A 1911. I bought a Springfield Loaded Target 1911., with all the bells and whistles. Paid up some but the most fun gun I own today . hdbiker
Old November 7, 2020, 10:29 PM   #15
KyJim

Quote:
Paid up some but the most fun gun I own today
That's the role I see for the Python, a fun gun. But I can also see it doubling as a casual carry gun or for home defense.
Old November 8, 2020, 04:22 AM   #16
shurshot

Very nice!!! And MSRP or higher on a Colt Python or SAA is the norm due to the waiting list. No worries!