The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 3, 2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Venom1956

Temprid SC around firearms?

I had to get my house treated we had some bug issues and orkin used temprid SC on my house. I've got to leave it sit for a few more days then I can clean up the residue and hopefully the odor but unfortunately my safes needed to be treated as well.

I am hoping cleaning them out with soap and water will be good enough but I am curious has anyone here had to do anything similar? Seems my safes and gun room are really holding the chemically odor.

I've contacted orkin and they said it's safe on firearms but ive already learn the hard way people have very different definitions of safe for firearms when it comes to chemicals and vapors.

I'm planning on moving my collection back in the next two weeks so I'll have some time to prepare everything.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions or experiences I'd love to hear them. Kinda hoping there are a few professional exterminators here on TFL that have used this stuff.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 3, 2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Rachen

I was just perusing the MSDS for Temprid SC and at a glance, the compound does not seem to possess any corrosive properties. Reactivity, decomposition when exposed to air, water, etc... seems to be nil.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...B_RvsJPXAHeEWB

Quote:
SECTION 10: STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
Reactivity Thermal decomposition Not applicable Chemical stability Stable under normal conditions.
Possibility of hazardous reactions
No dangerous reaction known under conditions of normal use.
Conditions to avoid Extremes of temperature and direct sunlight.
Incompatible materials No data available
Hazardous decomposition products
No decomposition products expected under normal conditions of use
From the ingredients, it seems to be entirely glycerin based. If the material in your house was applied via aerosol, it would have most likely been an inert gas propellant or a hydrocarbon gas (I doubt the latter because the product is used indoors, pilot lights, electric power sources, etc..)

Quote:
SECTION 9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Appearance white to beige Physical State suspension Odor characteristic Odour Threshold No data available
I always prefer to be on the safe side, so I would field strip the guns and wipe them down with a cloth lightly soaked in Birchwood Casey SHEATH. Run a swab of SHEATH down the bores and chambers. I have always used Birchwood products and they really hold up to the elements.
Old December 3, 2018, 05:01 PM   #3
jag2

What’s the question? If you care enough about your guns to have a gun room and safes then you’re gonna wipe them down. You know you will.
Old December 3, 2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Rachen

Quote:
What’s the question? If you care enough about your guns to have a gun room and safes then you’re gonna wipe them down. You know you will.
I do it whenever I know for a fact that a spell of wet/damp weather is moving in. Especially in summer, when that forecast for the next week says "hot, hazy and humid"...That kind of stuff. Then yep, I am going to take a few moments to give my guns a quick wipedown with SHEATH. If a gun is being stored and not used for some time, I would spritz an extra layer on every part, then catch the drip-off on a cloth and put the weapon back in the drawer. The guns that are being used/carried get the wipe-down treatment and bore-swab every couple of days.

It has been well known in the metallurgy field that steel surfaces are actually covered in microscopic pores. The more you oil guns and tools, these pores get a semi-permanent coating on them and over time, the steel "develops it's own immunity" to corrosive agents. Seasoning a frying pan uses a similar process too.

Last edited by Rachen; December 3, 2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old December 3, 2018, 11:24 PM   #5
Venom1956

All the firearms were removed for the treatment. They haven't been exposed to anything so far. My question is because now where they usually rest has been treated with the chemical do I need to take any special steps with the carpet on the shelves and walls or anything that could still be introduced into the air. The stuff is supposedly safe for people at this point. I don't want to close the guns up with just normal Eezox coatings and find them all rusted bores and finish gone to hell next time I pop the safe open. Just mainly paranoia tbh but I'd prefer to be safe.

Thank you for that break down of the chemicals I'm not great with the science. I figured someone would beable to help here
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug