The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 28, 2017, 01:46 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

SBR a dying concept?

So with all of these pistol braces out there, I'm wondering what the point of an SBR is anymore. Especially since (current interpretation) you can shoulder said pistol braces. Unless you really want an adjustable stock, what is the advantage of paying $200 and waiting 6+ months for an SBR tax stamp?
Old August 28, 2017, 02:03 PM   #2
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711 View Post
So with all of these pistol braces out there, I'm wondering what the point of an SBR is anymore. Especially since (current interpretation) you can shoulder said pistol braces. Unless you really want an adjustable stock, what is the advantage of paying $200 and waiting 6+ months for an SBR tax stamp?
I have both a brace and a registered SBR. The rifle buttock makes a big difference in accuracy and comfort. I am planning to SBR my evo once funds are available.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
Old August 28, 2017, 04:09 PM   #3
GE-Minigun

The current interpretation is only for one brace...SB Tactical
Old August 28, 2017, 04:20 PM   #4
TrueBlue711

Quote:
True, but let's be realistic. No NFA agent will be hunting you down for shooting from the shoulder. Even the big YouTube gun channels are shooting from the shoulder now and they're not even getting a warning to stop.
I would think they only way you would get hit for it is if you have heavy felony record, which makes you worth their time, and openly record yourself (i.e. providing proof) that you shoot from the shoulder.
Old August 28, 2017, 04:29 PM   #5
GE-Minigun

True that. However most gun people are the biggest bunch of nannies I have ever run across. Ask the question...your SBRing and AR and have a chance to get a 10.5" upper for $20, should you do it?

It will be 2 seconds before someone says don't do it constructive possession, blah, blah, blah.
Old August 28, 2017, 05:39 PM   #6
9x19

I have an Andersen lower with KAK brace. It does not come close to comfort or convenience of a collapsible Magpul stock.

I have 4 SBRs, and would do it again without thinking.

Last edited by 9x19; August 28, 2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old August 28, 2017, 06:10 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
TrueBlue711
Quote:
Quote:
True, but let's be realistic. No NFA agent will be hunting you down for shooting from the shoulder. Even the big YouTube gun channels are shooting from the shoulder now and they're not even getting a warning to stop.
You are making the assumption that ATF is who you should be worried about. State laws also apply, and to my knowledge no state has addressed the legality of an arm brace that looks like a shoulder stock.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 28, 2017, 06:11 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
9x19 I have an Andersen lower with KAK brace. It does not come close to comfort or convenience of a collapsible Magpul stock.

I have 4 BARs, and would do it again without thinking.
How's the recoil?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 29, 2017, 07:43 AM   #9
agtman

Quote:
* * * Especially since (current interpretation) you can shoulder said pistol braces. Unless you really want an adjustable stock, what is the advantage of paying $200 and waiting 6+ months for an SBR tax stamp?
That's the problem right there.

It's only a BATFE "interpretation" (Agency-issued letter opinion) regarding one brace, which happens to be issued under a pro-2d Amendment President.

If the next Prez is some form of Obummer/Hillcrat, that "interpretation" could be revised and re-issued in the opposite direction by the next appointed Agency head.

Having to wait 6-8 months for a tax stamp is b.s., I agree, but it's that stamp and BATFE's sign-off on your approved Form 1 or F-4 that gives you a "guarantee" (under current federal law) that your little SBR toy is legal.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:43 AM   #10
TrueBlue711

Quote:
State laws also apply, and to my knowledge no state has addressed the legality of an arm brace that looks like a shoulder stock.
Also true. Very dependent on the state. Coming out of legal talk and into reality again, I don't think most cops would touch this. I lived in northern Cali for the past 4 years (finally got out of that state!) and talked to a lot of police officers about this subject and the answer is the same from all of them: they don't touch this. Not unless you're doing something stupid, unsafe or illegal (breaking laws, not shouldering a pistol brace), they won't even bother you. That being said, I didn't live in the communist cities of north Cal (San Fran, Sacramento, etc). Those cops may be different.

Quote:
If the next Prez is some form of Obummer/Hillcrat, that "interpretation" could be revised and re-issued in the opposite direction by the next appointed Agency head.
Yeah, no argument here. Their opinions change with the regime. I'll probably SBR my AR pistol, but I may wait until the 3rd year of Trump's term.

So final question. Even when ATF's pistol brace interpretation was NO shouldering allowed whatsoever, can anybody name a case where somebody got in trouble for it? During that whole time and all the fear talk of "don't do it", I never heard of a single case where somebody was prosecuted for it. At least not successfully. I know people were doing it regardless of what ATF said.
Old August 29, 2017, 12:43 PM   #11
raimius

It depends. How much are you willing to spend for exactly what you want, and what the legal considerations are. Some people use the brace because interstate travel is considerably easier with a pistol and/or laws on loaded pistols are more convenient for them.

I had a braced pistol, but Form 1'd it so I could add a real stock. I'm about to build out some pistol lowers for travel though.
ARs make it easy. If you have an SBR, a pistol lower, and a 16+in upper, you can mix and match to suit the legal environment in most places. If you are talking about guns that aren't able to mix and match, a little more consideration would be required.
Old August 31, 2017, 02:09 AM   #12
armoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711
So final question. Even when ATF's pistol brace interpretation was NO shouldering allowed whatsoever, can anybody name a case where somebody got in trouble for it? During that whole time and all the fear talk of "don't do it", I never heard of a single case where somebody was prosecuted for it. At least not successfully. I know people were doing it regardless of what ATF said.
Only thing I ever heard, and I have no link to back it up, anecdotal only, was someone was arrested for it up in the Northwest, but nobody prosecuted. That's all I've ever heard.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:43 PM   #13
TruthTellers

I've never had an interest in an SBR in anything other than a .22 LR or pistol cartridge chambered gun and probably never will. 16 inches is just a great all around barrel length and is the minimum I'd want to shoot any rifle cartridge from.

And not all states legalize SBR's.

I have similar feelings about SBS's as the KSG exists now.

I would still SBR if the gun fit a certain philosophical use. A Ruger Charger Takedown with a folding stock gives me wet dreams at night and a CAA Micro Roni with a 9 inch extended barrel makes me want to go to confessional.
Old August 31, 2017, 10:05 PM   #14

I tend to agree with the last post.
Years ago, the SBR and the SBS seemed like something I had to have (I never was interested in, or saw the purpose in a "pistol" aka a rifle with no stock). I registered a half dozen or so various guns: both rifles and shotguns.
But, after a year or so (and once I actually owned them and played with them) the novelty wore off for me. I almost never shoot them any more.
I think it was the forbidden fruit thing. I wanted something that not everybody else had I guess.
I guess another aspect of it is that my interest in firearms changes periodically. I have gone in many different directions over the years. Big bore handguns, "tactical stuff", full auto and various NFA things; but today, what pulls my chain is long range rifle shooting and trying to achieve ultimate accuracy. That doesn't really fit in with SBRs for me. The only NFA thing that still interests me these days are suppressors. I use them all the time.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 1, 2017, 01:17 PM   #15
cjsoccer3

I think they are still relevant and will always be. The wait has always been there. The legal status of the braces are not stable for the $ they cost. I can slap a rifle length upper on my SBR and go to town at 600 yards any day and vice versa.

One you got the sig brace, youre in the corner of always having it in that setup. It's not the best at what it does and can't do other things. I got my SBR after the braces were out and would do it again.
Old September 1, 2017, 01:47 PM   #16
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsoccer3
I can slap a rifle length upper on my SBR and go to town at 600 yards any day and vice versa.
You can do the same thing with an AR pistol -- brace or no brace. And you can even put a stock on it once the barrel is 16" or longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsoccer3
One you got the sig brace, youre in the corner of always having it in that setup.
Huh? Where did you get that from? You can take the brace off any time you want, and you can also turn the whole thing into a regular rifle any time you want.
Old September 1, 2017, 03:51 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So with all of these pistol braces out there, I'm wondering what the point of an SBR is anymore.
The point is what it has been since 1934, to comply with Federal Law.

There are other guns than ARs you know, and the ATF has a long record of changing their minds about what is, and is not legal.
Old September 1, 2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Nanuk

I have been running AR's since the late 70's when Uncle Sam taught me to run one. I carried one as a patrol rifle in LE for decades. Last year I put together an AR pistol in 5.56 to try the concept out.

Today I have a pistol upper in 300BLK and one in 5.56. It has replaced my carbine for 99% of what I use an AR for. I do not have any sort of brace on my lower, to me it detracts from the utility of the pistol.

I shoot it with a cheek weld, nose to charging handle, that may have to change as I plan on installing a LAW Tactical folder. With the 7.5" 300 BLK BBL and the Law folder it will fit in a laptop case.

To me, the benefits of the pistol far outweigh the SBR. Try taking your SBR on a cross country road trip legally. I can legally carry a loaded pistol in many places I cannot a carbine or SBR. I compete in IDPA side matches with it against pistol caliber carbines and other carbines and beat most of the easily.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 2, 2017, 09:19 AM   #19
9x19

It really is the best $200 accessory I could buy, for my money.

Folks spend that much on the latest silly hand-guard fashion, or a better trigger without batting an eye, I prefer the stamp.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:57 PM   #20
TruthTellers

After thinking about it for a bit, I will say that I can see the benefit of having an AR or other type of long gun that you can change uppers on to make the barrel longer or shorter.

I don't like the idea of something like an Uzi or AK or other less modular guns and making them an SBR. What if you do the SBR and you don't like the result? You spend $200 on the stamp and probably more than what you would have paid on a standard length rifle. It's very tough to sell, gun stores may not even bother with them because they'll probably have a tough time finding a customer to buy it and wait months to take possession of it after they get the OK from Uncle Sam.

So, AR's and takedown style rifles like the Ruger 10/22's or Chiappa lever actions are the best long guns to SBR if you want to.

But, when it comes to the AR, I'd just put the Sig brace on it. Yeah, they're not adjustable, but I get the feeling that Sig will come out with an updated brace that "lengthens or shortens the amount of brace on the user's forearm for added comfort."

At that point, I'd save the $200 and hours of paperwork and spend it on ammo or a decent optic.
Old September 2, 2017, 03:46 PM   #21
Sharkbite

I have both pistol AR's with braces and SBR's. i build the gun as a pistol and use it with the brace while im wating on the stamp to come back.

Once i get the stamp, a real stock is a much better way to go.
Old September 2, 2017, 05:16 PM   #22
ttarp

I've never used a brace, so I can't comment on whether real stocks are really that much better, but in the world of Hk's and clones, it doesn't make much sense as a long term solution to limit your stock options. jmo ymmv
Old September 2, 2017, 06:18 PM   #23
Nanuk

Quote:

Folks spend that much on the latest silly hand-guard fashion, or a better trigger without batting an eye, I prefer the stamp.
$200 accessory???? The can will run you over $1000 + $200 for the stamp.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/omega/

I can carry my AR pistol pretty much every where I go without asking anyone's permission.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:56 PM   #24
ttarp

I'm not sure how you could spend $1K on a stock, but often folks already have one laying around so all is needed is the $200 stamp. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old September 2, 2017, 09:00 PM   #25
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19

$200 accessory???? The can will run you over $1000 + $200 for the stamp.
He was referring to the cost to Form 1 an SBR. After all, that's what this thread is all about.

Last edited by Theohazard; September 2, 2017 at 09:46 PM.