The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 23, 2016, 04:56 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

Franchi Affinity Compact question

So I'm looking at getting my wife a new shotgun now that she's getting more interested in skeet shooting and bird hunting. She's 4'11", so the guns I get her have to be youth sized. Her current shotgun is the Rem 870 with the Hogue compact buttstock put on it (12" length of pull). She's great with it, but still has to really reach to pump it and isn't that fast at followup shots. So I want to get her an autoloader. Did some research and I think I'm going to settle on the Franchi Affinity Compact in 12 gauge (her 870 is a 12 gauge). However, looking at the buttstock, the compact's pad seems really thin compared to the larger Affinity's. Does anybody have a Affinity Compact 12 gauge? Is the buttpad worth a damn for a small statured woman?
Old August 23, 2016, 05:43 PM   #2
mete

Have you thought of getting a 20 Ga? If you do some of the 20s are made on a 12 ga frame so no weight advantage is there . A 20 on a 20 frame , semi-auto, with a 3" chamber might be a choice.
Old August 24, 2016, 08:58 AM   #3
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Have you thought of getting a 20 Ga? If you do some of the 20s are made on a 12 ga frame so no weight advantage is there . A 20 on a 20 frame , semi-auto, with a 3" chamber might be a choice.
haha You don't know my wife She's a little fireball who loves the fact she is shooting a 12 gauge instead of a 20 gauge. Trust me, I tried that route for her from the start.
Old September 19, 2016, 02:01 PM   #4
TrueBlue711

Answered my own question. Went to the store and they had a compact model. Held it and the buttpad is almost pointless. Very thin and not much cushion at all. Thankfully I found a replacement buttpad online by Kick Eez. I just hope it doesn't add too much length of pull, otherwise it'll be pointless getting the compact model. Aside from the buttpad, the gun felt nice.

I'm also open to suggestion for other semi-auto shotguns that have a compact version available. Need to keep the price range around $850 or less. We haven't shot the Franchi, so I don't know if it's even the right choice or not. I'll look at 20 gauges too since there aren't really many options for 12 gauge compacts.
Old September 19, 2016, 04:03 PM   #5
TxGun

Certainly you would know all this, but: simply have a good pad fitted to the exact LOP that is right for her. The 'smith will cut the stock if necessary, contour the pad to the stock, and she'll have just what she needs, plus it will look right.
Old November 19, 2018, 03:51 PM   #6
TrueBlue711

As you can see from my origional post date, I've been shopping around for 2 years. I finally pulled the trigger and got her the Franchi I mentioned. For her, it was the only gun I could find that met every criteria:
Semi Auto -- check
Compact Model -- check
12 ga -- check
26 in barrel (vs 24 in barrel) -- check
Lightweight -- check
Inertia driven -- check
Camo (she wanted to match my duck gun) -- check

Every other youth or compact semi-auto shotgun I could find didn't meet all that criteria. They're usually 24" and 20 ga.