The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 17, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1
familywgn

Javalina hunting

Anyone here ever hunt javalina in AZ?

If so what do you use?

I am thinking of putting in for the draw this spring and am thinking that I might use my .357 686 for HAM. I know that I will have to spot and stalk, but is this enough gun?

Thanks, familywgn
Beretta Neos .22
Old September 17, 2008, 06:35 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

pig

... not in AZ but in PA I use a 41 mag. My buddy used a 357 and had to empty the cylinder. The PA pigs go around 350 pounds.
Old September 17, 2008, 06:45 PM   #3
familywgn

dang!

I'm not sure if they get that big here.

Might still be fun though...
Beretta Neos .22
Old September 17, 2008, 06:58 PM   #4
fisherman66

No, but I will relay a story if you don't mind.

My FIL has thinned a javalina "herd" with a rifle. As he tells the story, rifle shots don't seem to bother them. If you are capable of headshot (immediate kill) the rest of the group continues to forage. As the story goes, his guide on a south Tex deer hunt had grown frustrated with the javalinas. They had a tendancy to run the deer out of a feeding area and had cost the guide some shots with customers. They were still hunting when they found a group in an oak stand. The guide lamented his irratation with the overgrown vermin and my FIL decided to offer a competition. Each person alternated shots. A headshot (ear hole actually) would allow the other person to take a shot since they simply dropped. A squealer would end the competition since the warning cry would send the others packing. The guide started the game off and easily dropped #1. FIL goes next and copies the guides performance. That repeats til only piglets and a couple adults behind some scrub oak are left. The strinking targets and skiddish nature of the juviniles finally cause a glancing hit by my FIL. A little piglet drops the the ground squealing like bloody hell. Only his rear legs were pumping and he was spinning in a circle as the decimated group grew wings and took off into the woods. The dead javalinas were given to the vaqueros that worked the ranch for the BBQ pit.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

most javalinas I have seen in texas were much smaller than what we have up north. I imagine almost anything would be sufficient to kill them. You could also get very close to them without causing them any concern. .22lr HS with a suppressor from a P22 at 20 yards would probably work.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:15 PM   #6
zombie0hour

Well i have a tag for this year as well as next year, just have to wait . But its almost a %100 hunt since my family knows the area very well and sees wild pigs their all the time. I was going to use my grandpas 22-250 he says it should be engonth power but im not so sure. My dad has a custom made 7mm handgun so that would work i think, but the recoil would not be so much fun
Old September 17, 2008, 09:25 PM   #7
Scorch

Javelinas are not pigs. The technical name for them id collared peccary. They may look like pigs, but are totally different. Javelinas run about 35-50 lbs full grown and stand about 14"-16" at the shoulder.

A 357 will kill them very well. I shot some once with a Colt New Army revolver chambered in 32-20, and it did them in just fine.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:31 PM   #8
Fat White Boy

Yup- Javelina are much smaller that wild pigs or boar. The Javelina meat is also a little gamey from what I understand. Wild pig/boar is delicious...A .22-250 will kill Javelina right now. My .22-250 almost cuts coyotes in half...
Old September 17, 2008, 09:33 PM   #9
zombie0hour

Ok so the .22-250 will do the job very good. The recoil is light and its a pleasure to shoot. Ammo is cheap for it so i can get alot of practice in before the hunt
Old September 17, 2008, 09:39 PM   #10
fisherman66

22-250 is plenty gun for the javalinas around here. Feral hogs are a different story unless you are earhole shooting.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:42 PM   #11
zombie0hour

Lol i am not that great of a shot as it is, earhole is stretching it. So wild pigs are not Javalinas? Can you get tags for wild pigs then it would be a pleasure to take down one of these monsters with an ol' .505 Gibbs By the way what is the best brand and type of .22-250 suitable for a javalina, all we have is varmit rounds.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:58 PM   #12
fisherman66

No, they are not the same thing. Feral hogs are not considered game in Texas. There is no season nor regulation, but you might be required to have a valid hunting licence.

Javalinas (Peccaries) are much smaller, 50 lbs or so full grown, and are of no relation to the European pigs.

I would use the varmint rounds and aim for the ear, since you will likely get a second shot on a second javalina. If body shots are prefered I might go with a stouter bullet, but an injured jav is likely to send the pack packin'.
Old September 17, 2008, 10:05 PM   #13
crowbeaner

Just be careful that they don't discover you after they smell blood; you may have some real close that you maight not like. The little pigs still have tusks, and they have been known to tree some guys if they get angry. If you use the 22-250 you'll want a standard bullet, not some super duper explosive type. Hornady 55 grain spirepoint or Speer 55 grain spitzer work well. 36.0 to 37.0 of H380 with CCI 250 primers and you're good to go.
Old September 17, 2008, 10:09 PM   #14
zombie0hour

Ok i think ill have my grandpa with his colt python behinde me incase they come charging. a .357 mag should be able to knock the pack in half
Old September 17, 2008, 10:28 PM   #15
mrosane

Javelinas are actually a member of the rodent family. When I was in the Army stationed at Fort Huachuca AZ they were every where. Actually got chased a couple of times at night on staff duty.
Old September 17, 2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Yithian

The closest mammal relative to the javelina is oddly, the hippo.
Go figure.
Old September 18, 2008, 02:50 PM   #17
Daryl

Quote:
Javelinas are actually a member of the rodent family. When I was in the Army stationed at Fort Huachuca AZ they were every where. Actually got chased a couple of times at night on staff duty.
I'm not military, but I live close to Ft Huachuca, in Hereford.

Lots of javalinas in this area. If I put in this year, I'll probably hunt them with a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R mag.

Most of them I've killed have been with a bow, but I've shot a few with a rifle, and a few more with various handguns. I was going to shoot one with a muzzleloader once during the HAM (handgun, archery, & muzzleloader) season, but the rifle misfired. At the sound of the percussion cap going off, they scattered out and froze. I drew my CCW pistol (a short barreled .40 S&W) and shot the biggest one. I shot, and it took two jumps and hit the ground just as I fired again.

The .357 mag is plenty enough for javalinas, and then some. If they charge you, just step out of the way and let them run by. They're pretty near-sighted, and most likely don't realize where you're at.

Daryl