The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2001, 10:52 AM   #1
1redneck

Are different companies parts interchangable?

Ok here is a stupid question due to my inexperiance. Can a lee powder measure be used if I have a RCBS press, I thought they could but a gut at the store said if I have a RCBS press I needed a RCBS powder measure. Is that true? What about dies are they interchangable between companies i.e. lee dies and a RCBS press. Thanx for your input I am pricing dies and powder measures becuase my wife and kid wany to go shoot more( boy I got it rough poor me )

good shootin
Old December 17, 2001, 11:29 AM   #2
Keith J

He was either lying...

Or shouldn't be trusted. The only thing you need to use a Lee measure on ANY 7/8 x 14 TPI threaded press is a Lee charge die. If you have their pistol (3 die) set, you are in business with the Auto Disk types. The die is available alone and also for most rifle calibers.

The Perfect measure is the same case. A little "home-engineering" might be required but they usually work better than the other brands. I use red measures on my blue colored press for rifle and pistol.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:23 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

The friendly chap at the store you visited does not know whereof he spake.

Is that polite enough? Ok, how about - he's full of it!

In general you can use other manufacturer A's dies, measures, etc. on manufacturer B's press. With a big exception for progressive presses. You should check with the maker to see if there would be a problem using brand X on their press. They are usually honest enough to give you an honest answer.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:46 PM   #4
Crimper-D

Yes, nearly everything's interchangeable

I use an old RCBS "Rockchucker" single stage press,and a hodgpodge of reloading gear from Lee, RCBS, Pacific, Herter's and goodness knows who or what else.
My guess is the same thing happened in the gunstore you visited that I've encounterd...the store only stocks one brand of reloading equipment (most likely RCBS), and are pushing that particular product because it's there. Nearly everv retail outlet can order whatever you want - they have catalogs, but most clerks don't want to be botherd past selling what they have on hand...call it sloth-induced ignorence.
Old December 17, 2001, 02:31 PM   #5
1redneck

Thanks for the input its going to be a huge help, I have noticed Lee dies and powdermeasures are alittle cheaper I want carbide dies, is there a advantage with using RCBS??

good shootin
Old December 17, 2001, 04:25 PM   #6
Bogie

For pistols, the carbide dies the Lee sells are as good as any... And I like Lee's decappers a lot better - they're sturdy.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!