The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Barrel free floating

I'm getting ready to put my 09 Argentine in a new stock and I was asking around the gun club for someone to do the inletting of the floor plate for me. The supposed go to guy for stock work recommended that I full length glass bed the barrel.

This goes against everything I've ever heard on the subject. But the guy said that military barrels work best full length bedded. I had a FN .308 conversion barrel put on this rifle about 20 years ago. At the time these barrels were cheap and a local smith put it on for 50 bucks. I free floated it back then and now I'm seeking opinions on why I should or shouldn't do differently now...

Tony
Old April 3, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
triggerman770

free float

if it shot well being free floated, it should do it again. sounds like to me you were given a personal view. I think that 62K psi there is a lot of "harmonics"
going on and iff the barrel is bedded your accuracy won't be there.
I once bedded the receiver only on a 10/22 shot super groups, but had a little rocking motion, so I figure full be the barrel and float the receiver..wronnngg. that was with a lot lot less pressure in the bbl/chamber.
All the rifles I currently build are free floated barrels
www.georgiacarry.org
Old April 3, 2011, 08:44 PM   #3
DnPRK

The Mauser action isn't very stiff, especially with the thumb cutout for stripper clip loading. I would bed the chamber area 2 inches in front of the recoil lug (that will take the bending load off the receiver) and free float the rest.

Its easier to add more bedding later if it doesn't shoot well, than it is to remove bedding.