The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 29, 2008, 10:48 PM   #1
zpurdy

rifle scope

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle scope for the 7mm mag, the one on there doesn't do much good for what i want it to, i'm looking for one that has good sight at the dusk to dawn times and is good from 250 yards and below. what are some options, i'm not looking to spend above $300 either.
Old November 30, 2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Fremmer

Here you go: a Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 scope on sale at MidwayUSA for $399.00. Yes, I know you want to keep it at under $300.00, but the $399.00 sale price is so good that you should buy it while you can!

Index matched lens system and lifetime warranty, my friend. Put something really good on that 7mm mag, and save a bucket of money while you're at it.
Old November 30, 2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Guybo

In your search for a scope don't overlook the Vortex scopes, they make good optics. The Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 can be had for $200 and imo will beat anything in it's price range and has better glass than some scopes that cost much more. The clarity and brightness of this scope is outstanding for a $200 scope. Mike
Old November 30, 2008, 05:00 PM   #4
jckeffer

Scopes on ebay!

Look for Leupold scopes on ebay. I've purchased two 3x9s and couldn't be happier, great scopes and great price. Check seller reviews and you should be fine. Here is a current listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LEUPOLD-LIMI...1%7C240%3A1318

or:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-VX-II-3-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old November 30, 2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Doyle

Be VERY carefull buying Leupold and Millet scopes on Ebay. Both manufacturers have posted warnings on their websites warning of counterfeit scopes being sold there. They look very much like the real thing.
Old December 1, 2008, 09:33 AM   #6
zpurdy

i've searched some and since gandermountain is close to me i was wondering about this scope, http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...view&from=grid
Old December 1, 2008, 09:44 AM   #7
fisherman66

Here's one I'd consider

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=876892

As mentioned, Votex is another up and coming brand; although as of late they have become more proud of their scopes (for good reason) and their price reflect that.
Old December 1, 2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Where low light is a primary concern, it seems to me that a 50mm objective lens is a help. I guess I'd also consider an illuminated reticle.

Since you look Bambi over with binoculars, lots of magnification isn't needed, and there's better vision at low magnification, anyway. Better vision when set on 3X than 9X in a variable, when the light fades...
Old December 1, 2008, 01:04 PM   #9
bclark1

Cabela's is also having a sale on the VX-IIIs. I have at least one $20-off code if it'd help, too.

I have used a VX-II and a Burris Fullfield-II on my bolt rifle, both 3-9x40. I have taken game with both - close to 250 with the Burris, I almost went for over 300 this year with the Leupold but held off when I decided my rest wasn't satisfactory. I honestly think the clarity/brightness is about the same, and I find them sufficiently bright to take shots even a little before or after legal light - if I can pick out my target in the first place with eyes or binos in that light. I'm inclined to say you get a bit more for your money with the Burris (considerably cheaper with a ballistic plex reticle versus the standard Leupold duplex). That said, I got the Leupold because my reticle seemed loose in the Burris (couldn't crank it far enough left to zero this last time). However, the Burris was my first scope, and has some ugly battle scars to prove it, so any deficiency is likely an operator issue (I've learned a bit more about scope care since). Lucky me though, Burris said send it on in, the Forever Warranty means what it says and it's no matter that it's close to five years old and I have nothing but the box. Can't argue with that.

In any case, I think both are rated for magnums, and I'd recommend either in the $300-range.

As a final heads-up, one of the big optics sellers - I think it was Natchez if I remember correctly - sells cosmetic blemish scopes that are still supposed to be functionally perfect and backed with the factory warranty. Might be worth looking into to save a few bucks.
Old December 1, 2008, 10:24 PM   #10
Logs

+1 on Ebay they have the VXII 3x9's for under $300 and they typically sell for $299 at Bass Pro.