The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 14, 2008, 02:59 AM   #26
lon371

Dearhunter61 Says it all

Quote:
"If you do not try hunting different game you will never know what you enjoy most. I know that the one thing I enjoy the most is simply being in the woods. The peace and serenity of being alone in God's creation has always awed me."
Lonny
Old September 14, 2008, 10:52 AM   #27
Smaug

I've been thinking on this too. I've been trying to gear up for deer season in Wisconsin, but their damned non-resident deer license is $160. Heck, even their non-resident small game license is $85, and that doesn't even include raccoons. One would think they'd be HAPPY to have people come in and hunt their raccoons.

Then, there's the issue of my wife not wanting me to put a deer in the back of our car, for fear of the smell.

The one time I've been hunting so far was squirrel hunting in Indiana. I drove 6 hours down there to public land, camped, got up at the crack of dawn, hunted two days, got one squirrel. It was fun, but not quite worth that drive. I got one small squirrel, who was good for about 4 bites of meat. But it was fun. I'm going to look into squirrel and raccoon hunting in Illinois for this year I think. As others have said, I like getting out into the woods.

One thought: Can you use a 44 Magnum rifle on squirrel? It might be a good way to prepare yourself for deer season. You will get used to carrying the gun, you'll get accurate with it, you'll know the trajectory, if you see deer during squirrel season, you will make a mental note if they are within range of the 44 Magnum. The range won't be a limitation for squirrel either. You will have to go for the head or upper body shots though, or you will ruin all the meat. 90% of the meat in a squirrel is in its hind legs; they're scrawny little buggers.
Old September 19, 2008, 08:08 PM   #28
lon371

I am not posetive but I dont think you can use a rifle in deer season. For Illinois that is.
Old September 20, 2008, 06:42 PM   #29
10-96

Quote:
Can you use a 44 Magnum rifle on squirrel?
Only the rabbid ones once they get over 50 or 60 lbs.

Sorry... had to do it. Nope, couldn't help myself at all.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 20, 2008, 09:18 PM   #30
lon371

Yes you did, but that was a good one. I thought he had some big O squirrels