The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 24, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Traditions Trapper flintlock pistol kit?

Anyone build one? I'm required to buy one for school and would like feedback from anyone who built a kit or who owns & shoots one.
Old August 24, 2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Pahoo

Yes, Percussion

Gary, not the Rock-Crusher but the percussion. All in all, went together pretty well. Not up to par with my Patriot but suits me fine. What are your concerns? As usual, I assemble to being functional, take notes and then come back for the fianl fit and finish. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 24, 2012, 11:25 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I am required to buy and build one at school. It is not so much the gun but the experience in building it that the school wants to teach. I suspect it is the use of hand tools, wood to metal fit, metal finishing and wood finishing ate the true purpose of the project.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Pahoo

Slow and Easy, is the way

Gary,
The fit and instructions out of the box, should be pretty good or easy to work with as compared to other kits. I always advise that slow and easy, is the way to go. I can usually spot a kit gun by pictures as the builder lost patience and rushed it. Might add that I am not big on patience.
As I said before, I assemble to service state and then make "pencil" notes as to what areas will need attention, such as the lock plate and tang metal to wood fit. As far as metal and wood finishes, that is one area that you can put your personal touch. ...

All white metal parts, I had a shop do a Black Oxide application. I suspect you might want to go Plum Brown, on your flinter. On the wood I went with an Antigue Oak and tung oil. ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 28, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks. It will have to be the percussion kit. The teacher wants everyone to have the same kit to learn on. Oh well.
Old August 29, 2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Pahoo

Please keep us updated

Gary,
I'm sure with your experience, you should not have any problems. We will all be anxious to see the finished product. Now, not on this kit but one other, is the proper alignment or contact between the hammer cup and nipple. Ideally, it should be a good square contact. There are times when I get mis-fires and I print a deactivated primer to see how I'm hitting. Your kit should address this right off and don't percieve you having a problem. ....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 30, 2012, 07:18 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hi Pahoo,

They want us to make replacement springs and among other things for the gun. That should be fun and I think I will write it up and photograph the process from kit to finished gun.

Gary
Old August 31, 2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Pahoo

Great learning curve !!!

Quote:
They want us to make replacement springs
WOW, they are getting serious about this and really looking forward to your updates ! ...

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!