The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
c.j.sikes

loading data for 9 mm carbine

i have a hi point 9 mm carbine,i shoot a bretta pistol 9 with 4.6 gr hp 38 and 124 gr lead bullet, but it will not cycle the actiom on the carbine. question, is the load to light for the carbine, it will open the action and then it hangs up as if it was not strong enough to finish the cycle. any one else have this problem? thanks cjs
Old April 26, 2010, 05:44 PM   #2
zxcvbob

That's what it sounds like. And 231 is way too fast of a powder. Even Bullseye would be better (Bullseye is kind of an enigma; it doesn't seem to peak at high pressures like other fast powders)

If I was loading 9mm for a carbine, I'd probably use AA#7 powder. 9mm doesn't really benefit from a long barrel, and #7 is the slowest burning powder that I know of that works well in a 9mm.
Old April 27, 2010, 02:30 PM   #3
dlb435

I used to make 9mm carbine rounds with Hogdon HS 7. It was a crush load that gave me 1700fps with an UZI carbine. The only problem is the round looks just like any other 9mm reload. You have to be careful not to get them mixed up pistol loads. I marked them with a majic marker and put them in boxes marked "UZI ONLY". This is a slower burning powder that most pistol powder and lets you take advantage of the longer barrel.
I would start with enough powder to seat the bullet without compressing the powder. Crono this and look for any stress on the fired brass.
I need to work this load up again. Let me know how it goes.
Old April 27, 2010, 02:39 PM   #4
dlb435

I just checked; HS 7 is no longer available. Anybody know of a good subsitute?
Old April 27, 2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Crosshair

I use Blue Dot for my 9mm carbine loads. I get 1550 fps with a 115 grain slug. I could go even higher, but then consistency gets iffy.