The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
davebell18

Primer problem in a Lee classic turret press

I have a brand new Lee 3 hole classic turret press. I have made around 300 40 S&W bullets. Now I am having a problem with the primers. When I resize, decap the brass, I put a new primer in. I pull the lever down all the way to the bottom. For some reason my primer is not being pushed in all the way. I took out the little piece that holds the new primer and the spring still works. For some reason its not pressing the primer in all the way. Any ideas? Thanks
Old April 24, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
snuffy

?????¿¿¿ The classic turret lee is a 4 hole press. You're making bullets? Or are you making ammunition/shells?

Push harder! The primers are NOT easy to seat, they require quite a bit of force to seat.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 24, 2010, 09:51 PM   #3
davebell18

Snuffy, no need to be rude. And no, i have a 3 hole, not a 4 hole. These came out before the 4 hole. Second I made like 300 so far so i know how hard i need to press. I even tried to slam it down and it still would not seat the primer.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Abraxxas

I just got a Lee Classic turret press a few weeks ago, went through this with some of my loads as well. It sounds like you're probably pushing hard enough so I would suggest checking two things. First make sure you're using pistol primers and not rifle primers, rifle primers are a bit taller so they should not be able to seat flush in a pistol pocket. If you are using pistol primers you probably need to clean your primer pockets, that little bit of carbon in the bottom will make them not seat flush. I cleaned my pockets with a small screwdriver tip because I didnt have a pocket cleaner yet and they all seated perfectly after that. Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old April 24, 2010, 10:01 PM   #5
snuffy

I wasn't being rude, but I DO insist on correct terminology. Get used to using the correct words, or get used to being ignored when you use whatever comes to mind.

I can't help you with the 3 hole turret and it's not the classic turret. It sounds like your primer seater needs something under the primer arm to make it taller. The spring has NOTHING to do with seating the primer, it simply keeps the cup surrounding the primer until it seats in the pocket.

This is the classic turret.

This must be what yours looks like?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 24, 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
davebell18

Abraxx, Thanks for the tip. I know for a fact I am using small primers because that is all i own. Second, i look a look at it and didnt seem dirty. Maybe my eyes are getting bad at the age of 21 and will scrape it a lil anyways. thanks for the tip.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Abraxxas

They make small primers for rifle and pistol, they are the same diameter and will fit in the same hole but one will not seat properly. Same for large rifle and pistol primers, same diameter different depth, basic I know but I dont know your experience level so Im being sure

It's the bottom of the pocket you want to look at when scraping them, the sides of the hole will stay clean but the bottom usually has some crud in it.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:12 PM   #8
davebell18

Snuffy, i went to Lee precession and had it made for me. They no longer make the 3 hole according to him. So he made me one out of the classic. And why would i be able to make 300 rounds with it working perfectly and all of a sudden i have to stick something under that arm? This doesn't make sense to me.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:13 PM   #9
davebell18

abaraxx, i just ran outside to try what you said. It looked brand new still but i did scrape a little. It still is not working right.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Abraxxas

Are you getting full travel on your ram? Could there be a primer stuck somewhere? Make sure you're getting full travel on the downswing of your press. How far are the primers sticking out? A few thousandths or like half-way?
Old April 24, 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
snuffy

Okay, but my next question or observation would be WHY? As in why wouldn't you want a 4 hole classic? With the 4 hole you have the ability to use the lee 4 pistol die sets that include the final crimp die, so you can seat and crimp in 2 separate operations/strokes.

The pic I showed you was from the midway site, where the 3 hole is still available.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=405548

If you indeed do have the classic base, then there might be the need for a little more height under the primer arm. Try a folded up matchbook or a Popsicle stick under the primer arm to see if that helps seat the primer deeper.

Old April 24, 2010, 11:17 PM   #12
Jim243

Dave

The primer is seated on the up stroke not the down stroke. The presses come with two attachments (parts) for seating the primer, one for small primers and one for large primers. 40 S&W uses small primers, are you trying to load 45s now? You will need to change to the large primer seater. Or you are using the large primer attachment for small primers (will not center correctly).

Also check you shell holder and make sure their is no spent primer or other junk (media) blocking the hole.

Jim

The sleve on the attachment is just alumimium and sometimes bends out of shape, I have replaced mine one or twice since it is easy to bend it out of shape. If that is the case just switch out the large primer for the small primer attachment, it will still work and call for a replacement to Lee.

Last edited by Jim243; April 24, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:20 PM   #13
triley

i got the 4 hole

I have the exact same problem..SOMETIMES..I'm still very happy with the LEE set-up. Try taking an old (used) primer and putting it in the spring loaded deal,turn it upside down then it works..I've only been reloading a short time and ran into the same problem..if this doesn't make sense call at 239872747 and I will walk you thru it..
Old April 25, 2010, 12:21 AM   #14
snuffy

Quote:
The primer is seated on the up stroke not the down stroke.
Huh? Not on mine it isn't! I'm talking about the direction of travel of the ram, it seats primers on the downstroke.

Time will tell if we get this one figured out.

Old April 25, 2010, 09:07 AM   #15
davebell18

It does look like i am getting full travel. I thought of a used primer sitting somewhere but i could not find anything. Everything works and looks like it should including the primer seating part coming up through the brass holder to where it should. I am using the right primers since i bought a 1k pack and ive done 300 so far. I have never switched to the larger primer seater, so the small is all i use. Thanks guys for your help. Im just going to run and buy another primer seater and see if that works.
Old April 25, 2010, 10:20 AM   #16
davebell18

It seemed to me that the ram does go down all the way. Can someone look on theirs and see if there is like movement on their primer seater. I have about a wood match thickness of movement. I did put a match under the bar and it does seat the primer right. I do not want to put something under there, because it worked perfect and there has to be a reason that it isnt working now. Thanks
Old April 25, 2010, 10:58 AM   #17
Abraxxas

Here is what it should look like at full travel, with and without the primer seater/shell holder.

Old April 25, 2010, 11:18 AM   #18
Jim243

Sorry snuffy, your right, ram comes down, handle comes up. Abraxxas's sleve looks thicker than mine, I still think it is that the sleve was bent somehow.

Jim
Old April 25, 2010, 11:28 AM   #19
Abraxxas

Jim243 ~ I have the small primer feed arm in, the sleeve on the large primer feed arm is much thinner to give the larger primer the room it needs to fit inside the sleeve.
Old April 25, 2010, 11:50 AM   #20
Tacoma

Have you tried another brand/batch of brass? If your brass is military surplus or mixed it may have had crimped/sealed primers on their origional loading. This will you will get that exact issue. In that case, each primer pocket has to be reamed to open the hole back up to acceptable specks. ( I usually just toss my military brass as it's too much work.)

In any case it's worth a try.
Old April 25, 2010, 08:20 PM   #21
davebell18

Snuffy i do apologize. Now that i look closer they must of sold me something else. It does look like the original 3 hole turret. Can anyone put up some pictures of the original 3 hole turret press with the ram all the way down? thanks!
Old April 26, 2010, 07:27 AM   #22
mlk3454

I have the 4 hole classic but do get that issue at times when I am loading quickly. The problem is after I decap the brass moves slightly out of the holder on the down stroke of the ram (up on the handle) and when I try to seat a primer it may go in half way or not at all. Generally now I just touch the brass after that one step and make sure it is at the back of the shell holder and problem solved for me. Once there is powder or a bullet on top of the brass it doesn't seem to walk in the holder...maybe this will help you.
Old April 26, 2010, 01:21 PM   #23
Fishslayer

Check that your handle is making the full stroke. Mine was contacting the edge of my bench on the upstroke & the primers weren't seating all the way. I had to adjust it a bit.

The three hole turret is for the die set with no taper crimp die, AKA Lee Factory Crimp Die.

The four hole turret is for the Deluxe set WITH LFCD. I like the LFCD, some say it's not necessary.
Old April 27, 2010, 12:10 AM   #24
palabman

On the Lee CTP 4-hole the primer seater is held in the ram by a roll pin. Could it be that your roll pin is bent?