The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 10:57 AM   #51
Tom Matiska

NSSF's latest statement refers to Reed Exhibition's decision as "unacceptable" and says they are "considering all options regarding the management of future SHOT Shows". From the horse's mouth:

http://www.nssfblog.com/nssf-stateme...-outdoor-show/
Old January 24, 2013, 11:15 AM   #52
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

In that same announcement, it appears that the show is on hold. So I went to Reed Exhibitions and was shunted to the ESOS website (Home - Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show) where I found this (my emphasis):

Quote:
Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show - Update - January 24, 2013

Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

“It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year’s show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.

“ESS has long been proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of hunting and fishing traditions, and we hope that as the national debate clarifies, we will have an opportunity to consider rescheduling the event when the time is right to focus on the themes it celebrates.”
Affects only a "small percentage" of the exhibitors, but the majority of non-firearm exhibitors, speakers, celebrities and other supporters that pulled out, we won't tell you about.

Nice bit of CYA there.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:32 AM   #53
dtaski

A BIG round of applause to everyone that forced this cancellation !

We must all stand together during these challenging times to protect the 2nd Ammendment !

(I live in Harrisburg PA )
Old January 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #54
Tom Matiska

Quote:
Affects only a "small percentage" of the exhibitors, but the majority of non-firearm exhibitors, speakers, celebrities and other supporters that pulled out, we won't tell you about.
If only Reed Exhibitions could apply their concept of "small percentage" to the events that drove their decision. Apparently they don't see the percentages of infringing the rights of countless law abiding gun owners because of mass shootings that are less frequent than a powerball lottery.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:01 PM   #55
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm just really sorry that this is going to have a huge economic impact on so many businesses and people in the mid-state area. I grew up only a few miles from the Farm Show Complex, and the impact that this show has in the area is substantial.

What has been nagging at me the whole time, though, is just who owns the show? As I understand it, the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs started it the better part of 50 years ago, but turned it over to professional management when it got to be too big.

Could Reed do something like this at SHOT show since they are the organizer?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; January 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:14 PM   #56
Tom Matiska

Quote:
Could Reed do something like this at SHOT show since they are the organizer?
From the NSSF statement:

Quote:
.....Reed Exhibitions does, however, manage the NSSF-owned SHOT Show (though Reed manages the SHOT Show, all SHOT Show decisions, policies and actions are made at NSSF’s direction).......
added: for those that need a fix.... Early Bird Sports Expo starts today at the Bloomsburg Fair Gounds... 70 miles north of Harrisburg...

http://www.earlybirdexpo.com/index.html

Last edited by Tom Matiska; January 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:17 PM   #57
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, then Reed must own Eastern Sports.

Interesting.

Old January 24, 2013, 01:52 PM   #58
MacPointMan

I am sure the local economy will certainly miss the show. It is funny how one statement results in the cancellation of such a big event. It will certainly effect many especially those who depend on such shows as a means of doing business.

Had they kept their pinion to themselves a lot of people would have not been effected. It certainly is not going to hurt the sale of firearms, ammo, or standard issue 30 round magazines.

All it takes is one event like this to force vendors and manufacturers to seek other means of displaying its wares to the public and businesses.
Let me die in a pile of empty brass.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:56 PM   #59
coachteet

Wow, here's an example of what solidarity can get accomplished. Glad to see this!
Old January 24, 2013, 02:32 PM   #60
BigD_in_FL

Hopefully, the folks in DC will get the correlation between this and the 2014 elections
Old January 24, 2013, 02:37 PM   #61
adamc

I'm a newbie here at the Firing line.....

A) My take on the verbiage of the "Eastern" show cancellation statement ,
is that it is a "Slam" to all gunners who protested...read it again ..

B) IMO this the beginning of the death-nell
of gun shows, and all other sporting hunting type shows..they will be
shunned out of existence... I'm sure the the upcoming battle for 2A,
something like "No public" gun exhibitions, etc. bills/laws will be introduced, as GUN will be a 4 letter word... In a few years, the shows will be jetskis, fishing, and skiing only

I hope I am wrong
Old January 24, 2013, 03:14 PM   #62
Mike Irwin
Staff

"this the beginning of the death-nell of gun shows..."

Same thing was said in 1968.

In 1989.

In 1994.

And at various other times.

I normally say never say never, but I'm going to say you're not even remotely close to being on base...

Old January 24, 2013, 08:34 PM   #63
loltraktor1918

Good job. Glad they had to cancel, I mean postpone the event. I hope all those who support gun control end up falling flat on their collective behinds.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:48 PM   #64
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc
B) IMO this the beginning of the death-nell
of gun shows, and all other sporting hunting type shows..they will be
shunned out of existence...
What you're overlooking is the fact that Reed Exhibitions is a British corporation. They have no understanding of American culture or the American Constitution. I am certain that it never occurred to them that this little exercise in political correctness might cause any sort of backlash at all. Now that the cat's out of the bag, they are engaged in damage control ... but they have no idea how to control the damage.

It may have further consequences for them. I don't know who actually owns this show, but I do know that the NSSF owns the SHOT Show. I also know that I am not the only NSSF associate who has already written them to suggest they terminate their arrangement with Reed Exhibitions to manage the SHOT Show. I'm sure more such requests will be pouring in to the NSSF. Heck, it's not as if Reed does an especially great job with SHOT -- every year I hear numerous complaints about various aspects of the shindig that are totally fubar.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:04 PM   #65
Fishing_Cabin

Good riddance to them. Why have a show about hunting and the outdoors if certain firearms are not allowed. I will spend my money elsewhere...No not just this show, but for a few more until I know that the folks who organize the event understand "we" have a long term memory.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:35 PM   #66
Willie Sutton

Excellent result. Excellent message to send as well. I only hope that the news lands on more desks than just ours. Wonder if the VP has been notified...

Willie

Old January 24, 2013, 10:53 PM   #67
Buzzcook

So is S&W forgiven for the safety lock on revolvers now?
Old January 24, 2013, 11:28 PM   #68
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcook View Post
I'd say so, just like Ruger can be forgiven for Bill Ruger's compromises. Both companies now produce ARs, concealed-carry guns, and hi-cap pistols for the public, and both have really gone to bat for us this time around.

At a certain point, as a community, we're going to have to let bygones be bygones.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:29 PM   #69
RockSmoot

Quote:
It's one thing to tell (the entirely fictitious) "Billy Bob's Bang Sticks" from Oil Trough, Arkansas, that you won't issue them a refund.
Hey, that's right down the road from me. Nice selection of bang stick and some tasty hog trotters too.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:46 PM   #70
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
At this point, the lock isn't a concession to the government but a consequence of the company being owned by the folks who make the lock.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:17 AM   #71
Mike Irwin
Staff

"So is S&W forgiven for the safety lock on revolvers now?"

It was never about the safety locks.

Old January 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #72
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSmoot
Hey, that's right down the road from me. Nice selection of bang stick and some tasty hog trotters too.
Nah, come on. You and I both know that Oil Trough isn't near Rogers.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #73
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bravo S&W, bravo!
Old January 25, 2013, 12:03 PM   #74
Glenn E. Meyer

Most major companies cooperated to some extent.

SW - we know. Taurus funded the electronic safe gun research. Colt was big into that also. Ruger - we know about Bill.

Hopefully they got the message now - as if Diane's bill passes, most of their lines vanish. So we go with current behavior (but verify - - but Ronnie was an AWB fan).

So good for SW on this show.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:02 PM   #75
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Hopefully they got the message now - as if Diane's bill passes, most of their lines vanish. So we go with current behavior (but verify - - but Ronnie was an AWB fan).
Exactly. The "action shooting sports" drive a much greater volume of firearms, ammo, mags and accessories. If they support these proposed bans or vendors that voluntarily support them, then we go back to buying a bolt action once every 25 year, one extra mag, 2 boxes of ammo every year, and maybe a standard $250 scope. Hunting and bullseye target shooting. Or maybe speed steel events using NEF Handi Rifles?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison