The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 27, 2008, 09:50 AM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There will be any number of people telling you that this is a bad idea for one reason or another. Do the best you can with it. Make up your own mind. Check out costs of insurance and other things, if you haven't already, and run with it. Make sure to protect yourself from liability. You could be sued for everything from a neck ache your pillow caused to a BG saying he got shot because your pillow made the gun to accessible. Law suits don't have to make sense but you have to defend against them. Insurance for firearms related items is going to be stratospheric but you'll definitely need it.
Old August 27, 2008, 10:05 AM   #27
CortJestir

Well, if there's a market...

I say good luck to you. I'm sure there are folks that literally do sleep with a gun under their pillow. Might as well make it as safe as possible.
Old August 27, 2008, 10:29 AM   #28
New_Pollution1086

Finally a place to put the remote without losing it while I sleep..

Thats a good idea though, i don't know that it would work for me, I move around a lot while I sleep, the pillow needs to be comfortable in any angle and I don't think this product will be, but a throw pillow version however...

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old August 27, 2008, 10:43 AM   #29
TwoKings

Quote:
This is just me, but I personally would never place a gun inside a pillow knowing my partner was sleeping on the other side of me. So anyone that buys one of these please keep in mind to place the pillow to where the barrel faces off your side of the bed and not towards your other half.

I feel the same. Plus, I could just never sleep well knowing a gun is in my pillow. I would be worried about some sort of freak accident that would kill me.
Old August 27, 2008, 03:44 PM   #30
SecurityPillow

Quote:
Bear Claw Chris
Accident waiting to happen..........

Could you please elaborate? The Security Pillow is just as safe as wearing the gun on your hip, shoulder, or any other holster for that matter.

Quote:
Saab1911
Lawsuits anyone?
Any money that is made from this pocket will line the pockets of a fat cat
lawyer.

The Security Pillow will be used at ones own risk. There will be proper legal disclosures and insurance to handle this. Let's face it the pillow is not more dangerous than the gun.

Quote:
Johnm
This seems very unnecessary to me...and more than a little bit dangerous.
How is this pillow safer/faster/better than a properly holstered gun in a nightstand or attached to a headboard?
I can understand wanting fast access to a pistol at night, but honestly, putting one under your head?
If anything, I think this would make quick access to a weapon more difficult/dangerous than if you had it safely secured in a nightstand.
I can't honestly say that I'd ever be comfortable having a loaded weapon under my head while I'm unconscious either. Especially if I was sharing that bed with another person.

We are most vulnerable while asleep. The Security Pillow is the most efficient place to safely store your firearm. If an assailant gets the jump on you and you only have a split second to react then a safe, bedside table, under the bed, or in the closet just wont cut it. Besides tons of people already sleep with a gun under their pillow. This is just a safer way to do it.
Old August 27, 2008, 04:22 PM   #31
BillCA

Interesting idea.

As others have pointed out, there are some inherent weaknesses that doesn't make it suitable for everyone.

Like one poster, I flip my pillow at night sometimes to find a "cool spot". I also tend to wake up with my pillow folded in half to support my head because I'm a side-sleeper. This pillow won't work for me.

Your literature will have to point out that a semiauto pistol should not have a round in the chamber, for safety/liability reasons. Nor should any firearm be stored inside in a cocked position.

Bad side for hotel use is that the pillow will be heavier than normal which may arouse the housekeeper's suspicions. Best to store it in the closet before leaving the room.

Personally, I don't see a much superior advantage to the pillow over a bedside holstered gun, one in a nightstand drawer or in a headboard compartment.

Wake up, reailze threat. Grope in the dark to find the open end of the pillowcase. Pull up or down on the security flap. Reach in to find the gun, put thumb on hammer & withdraw the gun. Chamber a round w/semi-auto.

The pillow doesn't allow you to lie in bed nearly still while you draw the weapon from it's place, like a bedside holster. It is not possible to reach into the pillow while laying on it (unless you're much more flexible than I am).

Lastly... the corrosion concern. Most people's body temp rises slightly during sleep. Some of you may prespire when sleeping too. Worst of all, many people who are belly-sleepers or side-sleepers, especially seniors, may drool on their pillows at night. An older neighbor of mine launders his pillowcases (and pillowslips) every other day because of this.
Old August 27, 2008, 05:18 PM   #32
Stone Cold

I'm a drooler. I'm not sure if a vapor barrier would work or not. I also can't be sure I wouldn't be dreaming a sweet dream, squeezing something nice and feminine, and BLOW MY BRAINS OUT! I'm also right handed and sleep on the left side of the bed. That means to grip the pistol without turning it inside the pillow, it would have to be aimed at my darling wife's head. Better go back to the drawing board, or price the thing so you can buy several million $ in liability insurance.
Old August 27, 2008, 05:41 PM   #33
Tom2

I can just see someone reaching inside in a panic, grasping the pistol, and pointing the pillow at a burglar, saying, "don't make me use this!"
Old August 27, 2008, 05:54 PM   #34
Recon7

Would the pillow then work like a silencer like in the movies?
Old August 27, 2008, 06:58 PM   #35
kozak6

First, the website.

The intro is unnecessary, and all of the really slow animation on the page itself takes too long and is even a little obnoxious.

A non-flash version of the page would be great.

The resources page isn't very good. The little white squares make it look incomplete, and they aren't obviously links.

About the pillow, I don't like it and won't buy one. I really don't feel good about having a gun pointed at myself or loved ones.

I toss and turn all night, flip my pillow to the cool side often, change positions, and that pillow ends up moving around quite a bit. I'd probably lose track of which side to reach into, and then grab it upside down, as opposed to a pistol in a fixed location, pointed in a safe direction.

I don't know much about crime or law enforcement, but isn't it not uncommon for burglars to use pillowcases to carry off loot? It would be a shame to arm them or give them other valuables one was specifically trying to hide right off the bat.

Also, I sweat like crazy and occasionally drool in my sleep. How much of a problem would moisure be?

Guns stored in cases and the like also have problems with rust. Have you put any thought into maybe using some kind of silicon impregnated cloth or possibly some sort of desiccant?
Old August 27, 2008, 07:26 PM   #36
robhof

robhof

The pillow would make an excellent silencer and flash hider, resulting in legal problems if you snuff the bad guy with a silenced weapon and no ATF stamp. It would dramatically affect accuracy and not in a good way.
Old August 27, 2008, 07:55 PM   #37
jaydubya

Someone said: I can't honestly say that I'd ever be comfortable having a loaded weapon under my head while I'm unconscious.

I concur. I commend the op on his capitalist spirit, but I also think the market for this pillow will be very small. So small it might become a capital cannibal.

I base my home security at night on concentric locked zones, with handguns in strategic places throughout.

Cordially, Jack
Old August 27, 2008, 08:00 PM   #38
bushidomosquito

I appreciate your idea and ingenuity but for most of us in the gun community there is no need for something like this. We tend to be prepared and cautious folks. Most of us have taken measures to ensure that no one short of an honest to god real deal ninja or a mission impossible team is going to make their way inside our homes and be standing over us with a garrot in their hands before we wake up. Hell, the way I have it set up I would be allerted soon enough to wake up, call the police, brush my teeth and load a SAA revolver before anyone made it to the bedroom. This just seems like an idea designed to make up for a total lack of security preparation and a gun should be the last line of defense, not the first. I guess the big question would be can you find a single incident where someone was harmed because they could not get to a gun on a nightstand or bedside holster soon enough?

There might however, be a small market for the mall ninja crowd. Lucky for you most of them sleep alone.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old August 28, 2008, 05:36 PM   #39
dbldblu

"I Designed A Pillow That Safely & Comfortably Stores a Handgun. What do you think?"

I used to keep a handgun on the headboard shelf of my waterbed. I did so for a long time. Then, one morning, I awoke to find the handgun under the covers down by my knee. Apparently my hand fell upon it during the night and I did God only knows what before leaving it where described. I no longer keep any firearms within arms reach while sleeping.
Old August 28, 2008, 05:55 PM   #40
Tom2

You know besides all the pooh poohing, I would think that any sort of usable pistol accessory will sell some as there are alot more people out there than are on this board. I think they will sell. Just that I don't know if it will sell enough to make a break even or profit. Some folks do sleep with guns under the pillow, I suppose, so why not inside if it gives more sure access to it? I keep one on the nightstand and then it is stored well out of sight during the day. I have also seen holsters that mount on the side of the mattress. Well whatever, it has to be in the same place all the time or if you wake up in the middle of the night, you might take awhile to figure out where you have been putting it. I don't have one, but I think the best security is a big ol' barky dog in the house at night, better than a thousand dollar security system, and cheaper than that or an armed guard patrolling in a gated community. If the dog barks and makes a fuss at 3 AM and wakes me up in time before someone can breach my exterior he has payed for himself many times over. When I get into a situation that I can keep a dog, that will be seriously considered. And I don't mean an expensive trained attack dog or a dinky little nervous dog that barks at birds and crickets all night either.
Old August 28, 2008, 07:10 PM   #41
BillCoe

Well I like it, and it has the added benefit that you could stuff the pillow under your dress and look pregnant. Course I'm a dude so that may be a bit awkward. :barf:

I don't think that my wife would like it, and I pretty sure that the 2 much abused Jack Russells could find a way to pop the dominant cat if they found out how to do so.
Old August 28, 2008, 07:25 PM   #42
Sparky33

oh man, 1st thing that came to mind.......combat wheel barrow! Someone else mentioned it earlier on but before I opened this I was thinking the same thing.

Serious though, I much prefer the holster mounted to the back of a headboard or in a nightstand drawer. Also I like my pillows thin, so its either too thick for my taste or the slide is goona be digging into my face. Good concept but I think it might execute poorly
Old August 28, 2008, 07:59 PM   #43
B.N.Real

I hope you make a million dollars.

I can't wait to see your ad on the tv and to tell my wife I read about you right here on the Firing Line Forums.

Great luck with it.
Old August 28, 2008, 09:00 PM   #44
SecurityPillow

Reply by Poster

Quote:
bushidomosquito
I guess the big question would be can you find a single incident where someone was harmed because they could not get to a gun on a nightstand or bedside holster soon enough?

Yes I can give you a real example of this. In fact it happened in my neck of the woods...

http://godspath.com/News/Pages/semia...r_pillow_f.htm
Old August 28, 2008, 09:18 PM   #45
treg

Internet poster to Gaston Glock:

"[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Ain't no one in America ever gonna buy a PLASTIC pistol! HAH HAH HAH HAH....."

Best wishes for your venture.

Last edited by treg; August 29, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old August 28, 2008, 10:15 PM   #46
WINSTON THE WOLF

banging in the bedroom. Might have a new and unexpected meaning.
Old August 28, 2008, 10:46 PM   #47
johnwilliamson062

For a single person this might not be abad idea. A lot of safety concerns. I hope you take time to address them or have one hell of a good disclaimer.

Hammerless revolver and don't even deal with pulling it? As long as there isn't so much tension the cylinder won't turn inside the pillow it should work great.

I would never go this rout, but I would also never buy an AR except possibly for competitive range shooting. Obviously many don't agree with me there either.
Old August 31, 2008, 09:21 AM   #48
waytoofunky

Not me.

Oh. my gosh. I think I'd feel safer with no gun then a gun directly under my head, and pointed at my wife.

I'd never sleep well again!
Old August 31, 2008, 09:54 AM   #49
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And what about when me and momma (REALLY IT IS JUST ME) decide a pillow fight is in order? Hey I am a kid at heart...
Brent
Old August 31, 2008, 03:24 PM   #50
right winger

Pillows

I want a couple. please email at [email protected]
when the go on sale.