The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 19, 2020, 02:57 PM   #51
Nanuk

Always. No bother just the right thing to do.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 19, 2020, 03:50 PM   #52
Kreyzhorse

I usually top off and have never looked at it as a bother for a carry gun.
Old December 19, 2020, 09:21 PM   #53
Ruger45LC

Yes. No reason not to carry as much ammo as you can, there's no point in my eyes to leave out one round.
Old December 19, 2020, 11:42 PM   #54
FotoTomas

The agency I retired from did not care what we carried off duty but prohibited the issue pistol being carried off duty. Policy required loading the pistol with a 15 round magazine and chambering a round and NOT topping off the magazine. The reasoning was that the slide chambering a cartridge also staged the next round slightly forward enhancing followup feeding. It is true that most magazines when examined show slight forward movement of the next round. I never worried about it. 15 in the pistol vs 16 in the pistol was not a problem for me. Fortunately I never needed to shoot in the line of duty so it was never an issue. I did have two spare magazines on the belt.

As a retiree my J frame keeps me company and I am happy with 5 rounds in the cylinder and a speedloader in the pocket. My nightstand/car gun does have a 15 round magazine in it and it was topped off for +1 capability. I doubt I will need it or the spare 22 round magazine in the bag but its my choice.

On the range no I do not. Practice or qualification the extra round is not necessary.