The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 7, 2020, 07:14 PM   #1
dahermit

What is wrong with the Ruger SR1911?

I have noticed that when ever someone inquires as to which 1911 they should buy, only a scant few will recommend the Ruger SR1911. Inasmuch as the plunger tube, being integral with frame, is the only non-standard part (in that it is not a traditional 1911 part). Therefore, why not so much love for the Ruger?

Why is the Ruger not so popular? What is wrong with it? Be specific.

Last edited by dahermit; December 7, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old December 7, 2020, 07:33 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I remember them being pretty popular a few years ago. I don’t hear much about them anymore, but idk if that’s a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 7, 2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

One reason might be that, IIRC, the Ruger 1911s have cast frames. But -- so do a lot of other 1911s.

I dunno -- I've been under the impression that Ruger's 1911s are generally fairly popular.
Jeepaholic
Old December 7, 2020, 07:41 PM   #4
Whirlwind06

In don’t think there is anything wrong with the Ruger. In a very crowded 1911 market I don’t think there is anything that stands out about it either.
Old December 7, 2020, 07:50 PM   #5
zoo

Get the commander in stainless. You won't be disappointed.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:10 PM   #6
Minorcan

I have one and it’s a good shooter, never jammed or not fired. I think it is a good value for the money and Ruger has a reputation for standing behind what they make.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:12 PM   #7
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
I have noticed that when ever someone inquires as to which 1911 they should buy, only a scant few will recommend the Ruger SR1911. Inasmuch as the plunger tube, being integral with frame, is the only non-standard part (in that it is not a traditional 1911 part). Therefore, way not so much love for the Ruger?

Why is the Ruger not so popular? What is wrong with it? Be specific.
Your premise is false. There's nothing wrong with it. You really shouldn't make crap up out of thin air.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:14 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Get the commander in stainless. You won't be disappointed.
I do not remember saying any thing about wanting to buy one. I am looking for information only.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:15 PM   #9
krunchnik

I have had one almost since they were introduced-at that time they were extremely difficult to find.
Mine has been a great shooter-no problems with feeding or such-and the fact the frame is cast has no bearing on my purchase at the time.
Ruger was one of the leading manufacturers in investment casting-I think they have it right by now.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:17 PM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
Your premise is false. There's nothing wrong with it. You really shouldn't make crap up out of thin air.
I am asking a question...take a freaking pill for God's sake.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:20 PM   #11
jr24

Nothing. If they are still currently built as well as the one I had they are the best value 1911 under $1K IMO.

Dan Wesson if you go higher till you hit the semi customs.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:22 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunchnik View Post
I have had one almost since they were introduced-at that time they were extremely difficult to find.
Mine has been a great shooter-no problems with feeding or such-and the fact the frame is cast has no bearing on my purchase at the time.
Ruger was one of the leading manufacturers in investment casting-I think they have it right by now.
Yes...when they first came out the street price was less than $400. I never saw one in any of the local stores in my area, and don't see than many now.
As for cast [Sic; Investment Cast] frames, having a industrial background, investment cast vs. milled is a non-issue for me. I have studied and followed Ruger's history of the development of investment casting and know that it produces items of equal strength as milling. As a matter of fact, when he was still alive he claimed that investment casting was better than milling in that investment casting method allowed control over the grain structure. But then, he also claimed that the day would come when they would be able to cast barrels with the rifling already in them...there may have been a bit of P.T. Barnum in old Bill. But I never heard of any weaknesses in his investment cast guns.

Last edited by dahermit; December 7, 2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:43 PM   #13
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I remember them being pretty popular a few years ago. I don’t hear much about them anymore, but idk if that’s a bad thing.

Some years ago there were some complaints about the sights breaking. However that, as I remember was due to improper heat-treatment of MIM parts made by someone other than Ruger. I never heard of any complaints concerning the SR1911 parts made by Ruger themselves.

The only issue I have had with Ruger handguns was with an original Ruger .44 Magnum Blackhawk (not Super Blackhawk) that had a threaded bushing press-fit into the barrel to receive the screw that held the ejector rod in. It shot loose and the ejector rod would fly off complete with threading bushing and screw. I was pretty Green back then and did not know of Rugers exemplary customer service so I took it to a local gunsmith who suggested that he soft-solder the bushing into the barrel (would not harm the Blue). However, the soft-solder would not hold, so he Silver soldered the bushing in (quarter sized Blue burned off), and it never came loose again. That gun was manufactured in Ruger's very early days and he likely changed from the threaded bushing system...I don't know.

The other issue was a used .44 Super Blackhawk that had the front sight canted slightly to the right. I just lived with that problem...which was no biggy in that the rear sight adjustment easily compensated for the tilt using windage adjustment.

Last edited by dahermit; December 7, 2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:59 PM   #14
TunnelRat

What is wrong with the Ruger SR1911?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Yes...when they first came out the street price was less than $400. I never saw one in any of the local stores in my area, and don't see than many now.
As for cast [Sic; Investment Cast] frames, having a industrial background, investment cast vs. milled is a non-issue for me. I have studied and followed Ruger's history of the development of investment casting and know that it produces items of equal strength as milling. As a matter of fact, when he was still alive he claimed that investment casting was better than milling in that investment casting method allowed control over the grain structure. But then, he also claimed that the day would come when they would be able to cast barrels with the rifling already in them...there may have been a bit of P.T. Barnum in old Bill. But I never heard of any weaknesses in his investment cast guns.

Less than $400 street price? For the SR1911? I never saw anything close to that. I need to walk some different streets I guess.

Old December 7, 2020, 10:37 PM   #15
JDBerg

I bought my SR1911 Commander used at a great price, it is reliable and accurate. I highly recommend an SR1911.
Old December 7, 2020, 10:40 PM   #16
KCRaider21

I have owned a Ruger SR1911 for several years. Just shot it again last weekend. It shoots great. It looks great. It’s a good gun.
Old December 8, 2020, 03:57 AM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Inasmuch as the plunger tube, being integral with frame, is the only non-standard part
I actually consider that an improvement. I've seen plunger tubes come loose.

I own one of their 9mm Commander models, and it's a great gun.
Old December 8, 2020, 04:34 AM   #18
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Less than $400 street price? For the SR1911? I never saw anything close to that. I need to walk some different streets I guess.

Agree, got mine for just over $600 shortly after they came out and that was a pretty good deal for the market at the time (at least I thought so, the internet seemed to agree). Never saw any under $500 at any time.

Perhaps they were thinking of the Remington R1?
Old December 8, 2020, 08:23 AM   #19
1911_Hardball

The only thing I see wrong with it is that it's butt-ugly.
The bead blasting is too fine for a matte finish and too course to be called shiny, and the huge slide serrations just don't look right.
Mine (9mm Commander length) is, however, a great shooter.
Old December 8, 2020, 09:15 AM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I actually consider that an improvement. I've seen plunger tubes come loose.

I own one of their 9mm Commander models, and it's a great gun.
Yeah...I was not thrilled when I read about that integral plunger tube. But thinking about it, it occured to me that it would not be subject to coming loose as are exact copies of the Colt. It also occured to me that if it were to become dented/crushed, it could be milled off flat and holes drilled for attaching a separate tube without too much trouble. So, an integral plunger tube is not all that bad of an idea.
Old December 8, 2020, 10:18 AM   #21
Shadow9mm

I have heard nothing but good things about them. When I can afford to get a 1911 again it will be a ruger!
Old December 8, 2020, 02:19 PM   #22
CDW4ME

I have 1911's by Ruger, Kimber, Colt, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown.
I like the Ruger plunger tube being integral.
Ruger 10mm 1911 has ramped barrel (better case support) than the Colt Delta.
Lightweight CMD in 45 acp has titanium plate to protect aluminum feed ramp.
I'd be just as content to carry one of the Rugers as the others.
Old December 8, 2020, 03:10 PM   #23
shurshot

I have the SS Ruger Commander .45 and it's a damn fine pistol. Nice grips, accurate, rugged, pull the trigger and it functions. Made in the USA too.
Old December 8, 2020, 04:01 PM   #24
hub1home

I like my Ruger Commander. I've had it three or four years with no plan to get rid of it. I find it good for fun or defense.
Old December 8, 2020, 07:51 PM   #25
rodfac

I've had the SR1911 and the CMD since they came out...fine pistols...and comparable to my Colts both in accuracy and reliability. Good features for a modern 1911 with none of the mall ninja stuff.

Mine have been great pistols; groups over the past 5000+ rounds between them have probably averaged 2" or less from the 25 yd line from rest. I think they're a very good buy for any 1911 shooter, short of gilt edged Bullseye competition. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.