The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2021, 03:09 PM   #1
dahermit

One last 1911 modification

In regard to my very modified ("Franken Colt") Colt .38 Super Combat Commander, one last modification came after it arrived in the mail today.
After much searching for an extended slide lock that fits .38 Super, found one from Fusion Firearms for the seemingly reasonable amount of $44.95.

I modified the slide lock by adding a groove that allows the piece to cam the slide lock plunger out of the way when reassembling...something that keeps from making the infamous "idiot scratch" in the frame. Bench testing indicates it locks back when the slide is pulled back on an empty magazine, but will have to wait for a warmish day before I can function (notice I did not say "run"), test all the magazines for positive lock-back on empty.

Last edited by dahermit; January 2, 2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old January 2, 2021, 07:24 PM   #2
Nathan

Got any pics of your handy work.
Old January 2, 2021, 08:00 PM   #3
DMK

Nice Commander! I really like the way you have that setup. The Pachmayrs look great.

To each thier own, but I don't get the utility of an extended slide release. My CCO had one when I bought it second hand and it just was awkward. I've gotten into the habit of just slingshotting the slide on all my pistols. It's ambi and always works.
Old January 2, 2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

.38 Super? I'm kinda jealous.

I'm with Nathan. Would like to see a close-up of the finished product.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 2, 2021, 10:01 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Be on the lookout for premature engagement.
You might have to make a detent and get it just right so it won't premature but will let the follower push it up.
I just gave up on the type.
Old January 2, 2021, 10:19 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle View Post
.38 Super? I'm kinda jealous.

I'm with Nathan. Would like to see a close-up of the finished product.
I don't have a picture of the two or three I have so modified, but here is a link to the modification with pictures.
https://www.1911forum.com/threads/id...-proof.214653/
Old January 3, 2021, 10:57 AM   #7
dahermit

Here is a picture of the modification that allows caming the Slide Stop plunger away from the stud of the slide stop to avoid the "Idiot Scratch", on 1911 frames. This is the Slide Stop that came with the gun, that I had previously modified. The lighting goes all to hell when I take a macro picture so I have added a Yellow oval around the groove so as identify what I am referring to. Not the best picture in the world.

An internet search will bring-up more pictures and explanations of the process and purpose. It is a very common modification for 1911's.
Old January 3, 2021, 11:24 AM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I don't understand why these are made like that these days. It would make a world of difference in being able to reassemble without causing the idiot scratch as you said.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 3, 2021, 12:19 PM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Nice Commander! I really like the way you have that setup. The Pachmayrs look great.

To each thier own, but I don't get the utility of an extended slide release. My CCO had one when I bought it second hand and it just was awkward. I've gotten into the habit of just slingshotting the slide on all my pistols. It's ambi and always works.
I am under the impression that Pachmayr no longer offers their rubber covered, checkered, flat mainspring housing. If so, that is too bad...it gives a very secure grip when coupled with that wrap-around grip with the checkered front strap.
Old January 3, 2021, 03:40 PM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle View Post
I don't understand why these are made like that these days. It would make a world of difference in being able to reassemble without causing the idiot scratch as you said.
Yes...a mystery to me why all 1911's/after market Slide Stops do not come with the groove already there. Seems like a no brainer.
Old January 3, 2021, 09:03 PM   #11
HighValleyRanch

Might just be the lighting, but it looks like there's already a scratch there?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.00.54 PM.png (120.0 KB, 296 views)
Old January 3, 2021, 11:00 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Might just be the lighting, but it looks like there's already a scratch there?
The frame is no "Spring Chicken". I bought it in the seventies...it has seen a lot of use, and handling. So, yes the Blue is worn there as well as other places. The slide was already shop-worn when I obtained it also.
Old January 4, 2021, 09:47 AM   #13
Steve in Allentown,

Here are a couple more pics showing the idiot scratch modification. I use a Dremel cut off wheel to make a shallow line that a round file will follow to make the groove. Then I'll wrap pieces of sandpaper of various grits around a punch to finish it up. The angle, depth, and diameter of the groove determine how much force is needed to overcome the resistance of the forward plunger and the plunger spring.

Old January 4, 2021, 12:02 PM   #14
dahermit

That is a great picture with the layout dye...one of the best I have ever seen to illustrate the location and shape of the groove. Good job!
Old January 4, 2021, 06:12 PM   #15
lunger

I have done this on a Norinco many years ago, although not as neat as the one pictured . Works great . Aside from not scratching it makes assembly easier