The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 10, 2019, 11:53 AM   #26
Josh Smith

I used to keep bipods on my rifles but have come to prefer bags.

Bags plus squeeze socks are awesome. I take squirrels with head shots at 100 yards.

Regards,
Josh
Old March 10, 2019, 11:59 AM   #27
stagpanther

What about extreme long range prone shots?
Old March 10, 2019, 03:31 PM   #28
NoSecondBest

Quote:
What about extreme long range prone shots?
As I've said, you'll get better groups with a bag over a bi-pod. I also said that a bipod may be good enough for what you're doing. A lot depends on the gun and the bedding of the barrel, weight of gun, and many other things. I once had a Savage 112V in .243 that would always shoot better off bags than using a bi-pod. No revelations there. But, I once shot at two woodchucks heads in a hay field at a measured 440 yards and hit both of them with one shot each fired back-to-back. The gun was still capable even with a bi-pod. Your real problem is shooting off the bench, not soft ground as much. Concrete or solid lumber just has too much bounce. Take your gun out with bags and with bi-pod and shoot some three hundred or four hundred yard groups and actually see what happens. The proof is in the pudding as they say. I've spent many, many years shooting groups, owned dozens of varmint guns, and hunted woodchucks to a point of obsession. Being a very old geezer I've picked up a trick or two along the way. Not all of my time was wasted. However, doing is the best tool for learning....and shooting is always fun.
Old March 10, 2019, 03:38 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Stagpanther,

This article may interest you: Bugholes from a Bipod.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 10, 2019, 05:20 PM   #30
stagpanther

Great article unclenick! thanks much for that. It's funny--it seems like if you look around enough , you'll eventually find two shooters with opposite opinions and approaches but each still achieve exceptional results.
Old March 12, 2019, 02:43 AM   #31
bamaranger

F-class

There is a whole range of competition known as F-class that is shot prone, with a rear bag and a front rest, either bipod or mechanical. That shooting goes out to 1200 yds that I am aware of and maybe beyond. F-class is broken into two classes, F-Open and F-TR. Without going into a lot of detail F-TR is .223 or .308, with a rear bag and a bipod front. Their are some very specialized bipods available, look up Sinclair bipods as example. While a bag or mechanical rest is theoretically more stable, there is some very good shooting done in F-TR from a bipod.
Old March 12, 2019, 05:45 AM   #32
stagpanther

Let me get down to nut's n bolts to what I'm trying to get at. I'm not a long or extended range shooter as of yet--so obviously I don't have an informed opinion one way or the other based on actual experience--which is why I'm asking here.

When I look at all the utube stuff on extreme range shooting--like the king of 2 mile etc.--it appears to me that most of the exceptional shooters use bipods for their front support. I'm assuming at those kinds of ranges these shooters have done everything they can to reduce induced flaws to accuracy and precision in their systems.
Old March 12, 2019, 08:59 AM   #33
ninosdemente

Hopefully not intruding, if so please disregard the post.

Is there a bag that is good for bench? I currently use this one: https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...nt=100-027-025

I filled it with cat litter and I noticed when using the bag, the rifle sinks on the bag, enough to where I have to "adjust" the bag. I can only think the litter does get crush enough that causes the rifle to sink. Perhaps, I just got a cheap bag/correct bag and/or need to fill it with something better (more solid).
Old March 12, 2019, 09:09 AM   #34
stagpanther

I actually use almost exclusive bags off the bench--but unless they are filled rock-solid I find the contents is always shifting and settling--especially with the big bangers.
Old March 12, 2019, 09:28 AM   #35
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente
I filled it with cat litter and I noticed when using the bag, the rifle sinks on the bag, enough to where I have to "adjust" the bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
I actually use almost exclusive bags off the bench--but unless they are filled rock-solid I find the contents is always shifting and settling--especially with the big bangers.
Yes, but that's sort of the point, isn't it? That settling allows precise adjustment and gives the bag a dead quality with no bounce to it.
Old March 12, 2019, 10:59 AM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
Yes, but that's sort of the point, isn't it? That settling allows precise adjustment and gives the bag a dead quality with no bounce to it.
True--but it also means (at least in my case) adding an external pressure point when squeezing bag/material which in turn takes time and precision to repeat.
Old March 12, 2019, 11:26 AM   #37
zukiphile

Quote:
True--but it also means (at least in my case) adding an external pressure point when squeezing bag/material which in turn takes time and precision to repeat.
I could add another gripe: At some point in my string, the bag will have settled so that a light squeeze doesn't give sufficient height - I have to move the bag around to get the contents to fluff up a bit, like fixing a flat pillow.

Yet, it is very stable once arranged for a specific shot. I would use the bags more often if I could find a lighter medium that would provide the same stability.
Old March 12, 2019, 11:48 AM   #38
zeke

If testing the accuracy limits of load/rifle am getting better accuracy with bags front/back and off a bench. Have moved toward not using a front bag, as realistically won't have one with me immediately,shooting off the ground and considering starting to get away from a rear bag. Am cognizant accuracy may suffer.

Used to hunt and test the hunting rifles/loads on bags, but had to remember to actually sight them in by resting them/gripping them like they would be held in the field.
Old March 12, 2019, 06:49 PM   #39
ms6852

When I started to use bipods it was after I had acquired all the data that was pertinent to me. For example, as I did loads for my rifles I used a front and rear bags to get the most consistent and repeatable shot groups with a specific load that the rifles would like. Once I got the load for those rifles I shot groups and did a ladder test at 300 yards for confirmation. Now that I know what is best load for my specific rifle I know in my heart that is the most accurate load. Too me what ever variances occur because I am using a bipod or shooting sticks I know that the rifle has the most accurate loads it likes. As I am not a competition shooter but more of a hunter I find the variances so minuscule that it does not affect point of impact for a humane kill, given that you have a specific size target for the vital organs.
Old March 13, 2019, 12:22 AM   #40
ninosdemente

I though the sturdier the bag, the better. When that happens I feel as when looking through scope, The rifle sits lower and uncomfortable thus making me adjust the bag.
Old March 13, 2019, 06:32 PM   #41
stagpanther

I went back out today and retested both my 300 win mag and my new 338 lapua savage 110 (which is fast becoming one of my favorite centerfire rifles) and shot both using my harris bipod. My 300 win mag results with the berger 210.10 remained disappointing; both in terms of accuracy as well as the chrono numbers. I've never been very good at figuring out the "berger mojo."

It was pretty cold and windy today after it clouded over; here's the last 4 shot group of 230 gr eldx 338 lapua driven by H1000 I shot at 100 yds off the bipod. The last two shots went through the same hole near the bulls--I'm floored by how well and soft shooting the savage 110 shoots this powerful cartridge.

Old March 13, 2019, 08:03 PM   #42
Bulwyf

I made a squeeze bag using deer hide because it’s so soft. Then I had a 25 lb bag of birdshot. Filled it, but not too full. It’s great. And I have Atlas Bipods.
Old March 16, 2019, 12:55 PM   #43
RC20

I don't think its a right or wrong.

I used a front bag and a rear bag and do well.

All my stuff is bench rest target and it suits that really well.

It would not do for Varmint shooting.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:31 PM   #44
zeke

This sounds good. Some just use a sling and the ground.
Old March 16, 2019, 03:32 PM   #45
RC20

If you are into 3 position shooting then the bi pod if allowed is good on the ground and better than nothing for sure.

I can't do the holds anymore so I focus on pure bench rest.
Old March 16, 2019, 04:35 PM   #46
zeke

Never learned to shoot properly with a sling. While am transitioning to shooting off the ground with a bipod, it is difficult for me to stand up/get down too much. Just glad to be still able to shoot, although can't be out in the sun unless masked up.
Old March 16, 2019, 07:07 PM   #47
cw308

I tried both , prefer a ridgid Harris bi pod , just have to learn how to use them . I only shoot benchrest never got into competing , just enjoy shooting with friends .Some of my friends do compete using front rests , bags and bi pods .We all shoot well , I guess it's what ever you shoot best with .

Chris
Old March 16, 2019, 07:09 PM   #48
stagpanther

Quote:
I guess it's what ever you shoot best with
yup.
Old March 17, 2019, 09:03 PM   #49
Jsnake711

This article may interest you: Bugholes from a Bipod.

Dayum, golf ball's at 800?
Old April 10, 2019, 05:09 PM   #50
Joe-ker

Not sure if any one mentioned it but putting some padding under the bipod legs on the bench will help.
I like the bipod but like others I think the bag probably produces better shooting.