The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2019, 03:25 PM   #26
Mike_Fontenot

After carrying a 10mm Kimber Eclipse 1911 for years, I switched to a S&W 69 4" L-Frame 5-shot .44mag for a couple of years. Then, about 6 months or so ago, I switched again to a S&W 629 5" full-underlug "Classic" N-Frame .44mag, and that's pretty clearly going to be my permanent carry from here on out. I carry it every day, from pajamas-off until pajamas-on, in a homemade under-the-shirt cloth vertical shoulder holster. Conceals very well and is very comfortable. I shoot it in SA mode, cocking the hammer immediately after firing with my weak-hand thumb ... DA mode would only be used if a bad guy was right on top of me, and I couldn't miss.
Old March 8, 2019, 07:45 AM   #27
Black Wolf

I'm kinda leaning the same way. Shelved my CZ P10c w/ RMR, this morning, and left the house with my SP101. Honestly, I think an auto makes more sense as a defensive handgun, but I make all sorts of decisions that don't make any sense

I grew up with a SS Single Six in 22 (both cylinders) and, even with DA's, something just feels "right" about a wheel gun. I've been issued both revolvers and autos, I typically shoot a (service size) revolver better than an auto. Shoot perfect quals with the auto, but not as consistently or as easily. Heck, the auto that I have shot the best (not counting1911's) had a trigger that felt like a tuned revolver.

I just seem to like them better and I'm at that age where that is ALL the justification I need Plus I normally have a Kalashnikov and a butt load of spare mags in the car so, as long as a couple speed loaders can get me back to my trunk, I should be aight.
Old March 8, 2019, 09:58 AM   #28
gnystrom

Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity, and a really great trigger. Although I find them unnecessary, they will offer a model with a Hammer very soon.
Old March 8, 2019, 02:39 PM   #29
KyJim

I purchased two revolvers in the last year and sometimes carry them --- a Ruger LCR in 9mm and a SW M19 Carry Comp. The Carry Comp has a 3-inch barrel. I guess I have a thing about three-inch barrels. I have accumulated five of them.
Old March 8, 2019, 05:28 PM   #30
Ridgerunner665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
Honestly, I think an auto makes more sense as a defensive handgun...
It depends...

For normal everyday carry, I believe a 5-8 shot pistol is plenty and then some.

But.... If, for whatever reason, I was expecting trouble that might include more than 2-3 bad guys or a prolonged gun fight, I'd pack the Glock 32 that day.

It becomes a personal choice, for years I was ready for the running gun fight scenario...the sacrifice was comfort...I'm getting old and achy so I've reevaluated things and decided to make the change to the wheel gun.

Last edited by Ridgerunner665; March 8, 2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 8, 2019, 05:34 PM   #31
mrcharlie3531

That's a beautiful revolver. I want one
Old March 8, 2019, 08:47 PM   #32
USSR

Quote:
If, for whatever reason, I was expecting trouble that might include more than 2-3 bad guys or a prolonged gun fight...
I'd move to a different neighborhood.

Don
Old March 9, 2019, 08:39 PM   #33
OneFreeTexan

A handgun is only used to give you time to get to your shotgun or your rifle.
Old March 9, 2019, 08:53 PM   #34
mk70ss

Quote:A handgun is only used to give you time to get to your shotgun or your rifle.

This may true inside your home or business, but on a daily basis out shopping and doing normal stuff in public, it’s so unrealistic it’s not funny.
Old March 10, 2019, 08:05 AM   #35
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
Quote:A handgun is only used to give you time to get to your shotgun or your rifle.

This may true inside your home or business, but on a daily basis out shopping and doing normal stuff in public, it’s so unrealistic it’s not funny.
My general rule is - "One Hour". If I am driving more than 1 hour from home, I have a rifle and several mags. The logic is that I want to go back home and, the farther I am from it, the more difficult that task might be.

So yea, running up to the redbox or library, NOPE there is no rifle for my handgun to get me back to.
Old March 10, 2019, 10:57 AM   #36
mk70ss

And I am pretty sure if you stop for a snack or a burger, you don’t tote said rifle into the establishment. A firearm on my belt trumps long gun in the car or back at the house. Now at my house, I have an 8 shot 12 gauge in the bedroom.........
Old March 10, 2019, 11:09 AM   #37
Ridgerunner665

Got the longer holster... Its made for a Glock 17... But is as close as I could find to a proper appendix carry holster for the 3 inch SP101.

Works pretty good, carries nice and low.

High Noon Mr. Softy for a Glock 17, with the retention screw removed.... about $39 shipping and all.

Old March 10, 2019, 09:32 PM   #38
tallball

Like Black Wolf, I grew up with a Single Six. I still prefer revolvers, though I also shoot and sometimes carry semi-autos.

My most frequent carry is my LCR 38 special in the cargo pocket of my "dad" shorts.

My 44 special Bulldog feels good in my coat pocket when it's cold outside.
Old March 10, 2019, 10:06 PM   #39
ms6852

I too just recently started carrying a revolver a 686 3" revolver, hold 7 rounds, just like my 1911 I used to carry. No reason other than I wanted something new

Last edited by ms6852; March 10, 2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old March 11, 2019, 08:15 PM   #40
JERRYS.

a K frame snub with a round but is a great ccw gun. the model 64 or model 10 in such a configuration will handle the stoutest load for that caliber with ease and no abuse to the shooter. they are surprisingly easy to shoot well.
Old March 11, 2019, 08:50 PM   #41
Ed4032

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
I'd move to a different neighborhood.

Don
Or a bring Marine Recon unit.
Old March 12, 2019, 12:03 AM   #42
Carmady

Quote:
Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity, and a really great trigger. Although I find them unnecessary, they will offer a model with a Hammer very soon.
I'd like to see that in 9mm without the hammer.
Old March 12, 2019, 07:44 AM   #43
rodfac

Quote:
Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity,
...and...you get Kimber's sterling customer service! (and I truly hope it works out for you if you need it) ... Thank you, but I'll stick with a tried and true S&W M60, hammer, adj. sights and a 3" tube. YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 12, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old March 12, 2019, 10:47 AM   #44
USSR

Quote:
Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity,

Quote:
...and...you get Kimber's sterling customer service! (and I truly hope is works out for you) ... Thank you, but I'll stick with a tried and true S&W M60, hammer, adj. sights and a 3" tube. YMMv, Rod
Have to agree with Rod, although my taste runs to the P&R'd S&W Model 19's with the 2.5" barrels.

Don
Old March 27, 2019, 11:08 PM   #45
Fjblair

Lots of gun owners are infatuated with high capacity. Facts be damned, I need seventeen rounds and a backup in an ankle holster. I do it too sometimes, but a J-frame .38 in my pocket is my go to ccw. There are no bad choices.
Old March 28, 2019, 09:47 AM   #46
pete2

I decided on carrying a revolver several years ago. I carry a 642, usually in a pocket. Tried an LC9, it doesn't work in a pocket. I have a 2-1/2" 19 but I'm not into holster carry, if I was it would prolly be a lightweight Commander.
Old March 28, 2019, 11:28 AM   #47
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've carried revolvers primarily since the 1980s.

My first carry revolver was a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special.

Carried that until I got my first S&W snub. About 1998 or so I transitioned to a Smith 042 Centennial Hammerless.

That's still my primary carry handgun.

I've also carried an S&W 19 2.5" in a shoulder holster.

I have carried semi-autos on and off, primarily a Taurus PT 22 when I need something really small. For awhile I also carried a Kahr K9.

Recently, though, I've been seriously thinking about moving my primary carry gun to a semi-auto 9mm, and the one currently at the top of that heap is the Ruger Security 9.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 28, 2019, 03:30 PM   #48
K_Mac

Anytime this topic comes up there are some who suggest that if one expects trouble or multiple attackers avoidance is the only answer, and for "normal" circumstances a 5 shot revolver is a reasonable choice. It certainly may be, but I think we can all agree that no thinking person is going into a situation where well armed attackers are likely unless there is no other option. My guess is few, if any, would do so with a 5 shot wheel gun.

My point is for most of us the likelihood of needing any gun is very small. So small that some will make the case that a gun of any sort is unnecessary. The truth is though that if a gun is needed we have no idea what to expect in number of assailants or rounds needed. In a situation where my life, the life of a loved one or someone in my charge is in jeopardy I will opt for greater round capacity.

And for the record, I enjoy my revolvers very much. If I'm stomping around in the woods I may have a. 357 or .22 on my belt. If I'm going to the mini mart I'll have a semiautomatic.
Old March 28, 2019, 06:00 PM   #49
44caliberkid

I've carried a Charter 44 Bulldog for off duty/ ccw since 1976. Although, the last 4 or 5 years I like my 2 1/2 inch Model 66 as an alternative.
Old March 28, 2019, 08:59 PM   #50
Drm50

I had a hang up for years that I would not buy a handgun without adjustable sights. I had no use for anything I couldn't knock a can off a fence at 50'. Now I'm the exact opposite on
CCW guns. They don't need sights to use at SD ranges, they don't have to be bullseye accurate or hold 17rds. The main thing is dependability. Buy a good top shelf proven design
and get use to it.