The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 30, 2019, 11:43 AM   #76
Cosmodragoon

The Henry Rifle is fantastic for the price. The 100-grain American Eagle soft points, which have been among the hottest and most affordable commercial loads, perform admirably with a 20" barrel. I haven't hunted in years but I'd have no concerns about using those for deer within 100 yards.
Old March 30, 2019, 02:22 PM   #77
littlebikerider

And IL has bill HB2783 in the house right now. It is a bill that would allow rifles for deer hunting, with the same cartridge restrictions that now apply to handgun hunting for deer. If this passes (a big "if" in Illinois, the Henry rifle with American Eagle ammo, I believe, would fill the bill quite nicely for those sub-hundred yard shots.
Old March 30, 2019, 04:45 PM   #78
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
What are you using to predict the accuracy difference with?
Max loads in any handgun cartridge typically don't have the same accuracy as weaker loads do. While .32 is larger than .22, it will still benefit from a subsonic load so the transition doesn't destabilize it in flight.

As to the full power loads, I've seen one review a year or two ago that was getting about 4 inches at 50 or 100 yards with American Eagle .327, but that was with the stock sights. I'm sure a scope would tighten up those groups, so I'm guessing 3 MOA.
Old March 30, 2019, 06:05 PM   #79
dgludwig

Quote:
Ruger just came out with exactly that, a 3" version of the .357 LCRX:
I wish the 3" barrel variant could be had with a concealed hammer.
Old March 30, 2019, 06:20 PM   #80
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I wish the 3" barrel variant could be had with a concealed hammer.
Kimber has one.
Old March 30, 2019, 06:41 PM   #81
jetinteriorguy

Sorry I was unclear, I meant a 3" version of the LCRX in .327, not .357 mag.
Old March 30, 2019, 08:21 PM   #82
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Max loads in any handgun cartridge typically don't have the same accuracy as weaker loads do. While .32 is larger than .22, it will still benefit from a subsonic load so the transition doesn't destabilize it in flight.
My goodness, you're painting with a mighty broad brush.

That might be your experience, but it does not describe mine.

The 9mm Bullseye shooters have repeatedly said on the Bullseye forum that they typically have to push the bullets fast to get the best accuracy. In other words, their slow 9mm loads aren't as accurate as their fast loads, and many of these guys probably know more about accuracy than most shooters since they focus on accuracy.
Old April 1, 2019, 12:45 PM   #83
FotoTomas

I purchased a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum because I wanted something to shoot a large stash of .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long cartridges I had on hand and I wanted to try out the LCR compared to my J frames. I also purchased some HKS Speedloaders and some of the .32 H&R Magnum as well as the Gold Dot .327 Fed.

I found the revolver to be light and accurate and a real easy shooter with the regular .32 rounds. The H&R Magnum was very close to .38+P recoil and the .327 Federal Magnum Gold Dots were quite a handful. In the end I believe the revolver is not a good fit for me. My S&W ā€œJā€ frames remain my go to pocket revolvers and the LCR will be traded off. Glad I tried it but no desire to keep one in the stable

Last edited by FotoTomas; April 1, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old April 4, 2019, 08:41 AM   #84
Real Gun

Will agree that max loads are more difficult to shoot without flinching, but not inherently less accurate. Max loads do have to be matched with the right gun (mass), more full size than pocket size.
Old April 4, 2019, 09:41 AM   #85
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Max loads do have to be matched with the right gun (mass), more full size than pocket size.
Indeed. Does anyone here have the GP100 in .327 Federal?