The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2019, 04:36 PM   #1
riffraff

Quality AR iron sights?

I've got one AR10 I haven't been able to makeup my mind about optics on, it has a flat top with a rail on the gas block. Im thinking of giving it a good quality carry handle sight and a compatible height sight of some quality (ie not a plastic magpul) on the gas block, or just a quality set of sights.. nice to have one without glass is my idea, but i want something better than a set of magpuls..

In my mind im thinking metal flip ups but they need not be collapsing... what options are out there i should consider?

Thanks!
Old April 12, 2019, 05:41 PM   #2
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
...it has a flat top with a rail on the gas block.
UTG makes a fixed picatinny rail front sight in both gas block heights.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers...ont-sight.html

https://daytonatactical.com/products...le-front-sight
Old April 12, 2019, 05:56 PM   #3
imac98374

When I think nice AR irons, I imagine Daniel Defense for fixed and Troy for folding. I don’t have any personal experience with scalarworks, but they’re well-reviewed and photograph nicely!

Last edited by imac98374; April 12, 2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old April 12, 2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

Troy Combat sights. Not saying they are the best (not an expert in AR sights), but they are made of steel, foldable, adjustable. I've had mine for more than ten years now and haven't had a single issue.
Old April 12, 2019, 06:48 PM   #5
kymasabe

I've owned troy and Daniel defense and i prefer d.d. sights. I've also had very good results with yankee hill machine sights.
Old April 13, 2019, 11:49 AM   #6
riffraff

Thanks guys - im thinking DD is a good option given these are going to be primary sights. Also since they come as a set, at about $130 they are even fairly cost effective.
Old April 13, 2019, 12:39 PM   #7
riffraff

Of course to make things difficult, scratching my head at the moment trying to figure out if the front sight would be compatible with a standard carry handle sight... or if the rear would work with a standard fixed front (as then i know the height DD picked is standard).. I believe so, anyone used a rear DD sight with a standard front gas block sight?

On my rifle the gas block rail is the same height as the rail on the upper, so nothing funny to consider there. Thanks!
Old April 15, 2019, 08:31 AM   #8
odugrad

The DD rear sight is compatible with a standard front sight base. I've got one on one of my rifles.

My preference is Troy folding sights. I feel like it gives you more options than a fixed sight.
Old April 15, 2019, 08:53 AM   #9
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
On my rifle the gas block rail is the same height as the rail on the upper, so nothing funny to consider there.
Outstanding. That really opens up a larger universe of solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
Thanks guys - im thinking DD is a good option given these are going to be primary sights. Also since they come as a set, at about $130 they are even fairly cost effective.
That's what I use.

I have also used a Rock River Dominator rear mount and cheap picatinny rear bolt on A2 style sights. They are both very good, but the only time I really adjust the sights is at the range while sighting in.

The DD rear has everything I actually need in a rear sight, and it's a one piece, slide on design.

Blackhawk, Midwest Industries and Weaver all made or marketed A1-ish rear sights that look more robust than the DD. I've never had one, but they might be worth a look.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/blackha...ron-sight.html

Last edited by zukiphile; April 15, 2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 15, 2019, 09:28 AM   #10
riffraff

I ordered a DD front sight last night, was under $60 shipped. Going to try that with a carry handle rear and see how I like it.
Old April 15, 2019, 12:31 PM   #11
HJ857

Coming in late for the party I realize, but just in case, this sight is really nice. Could be for an acquired taste though.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod85934.aspx
Old April 15, 2019, 12:44 PM   #12
zukiphile

HJ857, I looked at those when they were $55. I liked the idea very much, but didn't care for their use of AK front sight posts. It's made for ARs, so using anything but AR sight posts seems odd.

I don't know what the world of AK sight posts is like, but I know I can get quite a few different posts for ARs.
Old April 15, 2019, 03:56 PM   #13
HJ857

Yeah, that is definitely an odd choice for a post, but it works really well. I did have to screw mine all the way down. It certainly makes irons on a 16" barrel way better with old eyes!
Old April 15, 2019, 04:56 PM   #14
50 shooter

Anything plastic to me is just junk waiting to break, even magpul buis stuff. If you want cheap, go on Ebay and get a set of metal ones for under $100.

PRI makes some nice ones but they're pricey, they have ones that double as front sight/gas block.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 29, 2019, 11:30 AM   #15
dakota.potts

Just for reference, I have found the metal Magpul MBUS Pro sights to be very well made. The aperture and post are a little small but the sights are super compact.

Knight's Armament also makes a quality set of metal folding sights.

But good luck with your fixed sight solution, post pictures if you can!
Old April 29, 2019, 11:52 AM   #16
riffraff

For now I have a DD front sight and a carry handle rear, haven't had a chance to sight it in yet but I think I like it. Thanks again guys!
Old April 29, 2019, 11:53 AM   #17
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts View Post
Just for reference, I have found the metal Magpul MBUS Pro sights to be very well made. The aperture and post are a little small but the sights are super compact.

Knight's Armament also makes a quality set of metal folding sights.

But good luck with your fixed sight solution, post pictures if you can!
I will snap one later.
Old April 29, 2019, 01:28 PM   #18
riffraff

That's it - wish I could get the larger AR10 sized carry handles, but they are non existent at the moment, AR15 style looks fine though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MP10.jpg (163.6 KB, 12 views)