The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2018, 03:28 PM   #1
44caliberkid

New Interarms Lugers

Were the new Lugers made by Mauser in the 70's and imported by Interarms good quality firearms?
Old December 5, 2018, 03:51 PM   #2
ttarp

They are very well made firearms. I think the biggest complaint about the Mauser Parabellum is the stock grips are a bit fat, and on the inside they don't have much material around the mounting pin, and have been known to loosen at high round counts. I bought at cheap set of plastic grips for shooting.
Old December 5, 2018, 04:00 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I looked hard at one a couple of years ago.
The grips were FLAT and uncomfortable.
The grip safety took a hard squeeze, more like a Colt Pocket Hammerless than a 1911.
If the price had been lower, I might have been interested in correctly styled grips and a grip safety delete.
Old December 5, 2018, 06:39 PM   #4
bac1023

They were very well finished. Build quality and fitting were ok, but not like the old Mauser Lugers from the first half of the century.

Among others, I have this Sport model, which got a lot of extra love. Sadly they were built only one year (1975) and only about 80 were manufactured in total. Got sure how many exist 40+ years later, but its not something you'll find at your local shop.

Old December 5, 2018, 07:49 PM   #5
blchandl2

Nice!
Old December 5, 2018, 07:51 PM   #6
44caliberkid

Wow Bac, what a beautiful pistol. Don't be insulted, but it reminds me of a Ruger bull barrel target model .22.
Old December 5, 2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I admired a Sport some years ago, but my job was at risk and I could not buy it or the Mercedes coupe, either.
Old December 5, 2018, 07:56 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

They were well finished and made. I remember they had a Swiss pattern (straight grip).
Old December 6, 2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Jim Watson

The first run did, but they went to the lobed German pattern soon.

Like the one BAC shows, and like the ones I shopped from time to time.
Old December 6, 2018, 11:26 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Wow Bac, what a beautiful pistol. Don't be insulted, but it reminds me of a Ruger bull barrel target model .22.
That's what I thought looking at it. "is that a .22?"
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 10, 2018, 02:58 AM   #11
HisSoldier

Having two and hating the grip safety I altered one internally to eliminate it, of course on the outside the grip safety is gone too. Then I had my GS provide walnut to fill in the slot where the grip safety went between the LH grip and the frame, and after gluing it in he checkered it.
The other one is unfired in the box.

BTW, other than the stupid little brass pin that's supposed to align the grips I can't feel the difference between my 1920 Commercial P-08 and the Interarms guns, but maybe I'm insensitive that way. That pin allows the grip panels to move around slightly.
The fit of the grips to the frame though is not as good, there being a bit of grip overhang past the frame on both sides. Not noticeable to most people I think.

In spite of my complaints I love both of them as well as the 1920 DWM. The Interarms Luger is not a true copy of any P-08 model in very small ways.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.