The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2018, 05:31 AM   #26
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Good deal! I think you'll enjoy it, especially once you put a Pearce grip on it.
Ransome glad to see it worked out

On the Pearce Grips. It's a subjective opinion based mostly on hand size.

I have tried the Pearce and found them too big and uncomfortable. Also not the best for CC. I have also had the more rare "Mak-a-Wrap" rubber grips with the finger grooves and although they are more compact they are fragile upon disassembly and I didn't like them either...again, all subjective.

I keep coming back to the stock military grips with the lanyard ring or the Black EGs...when Maks were first available they were often shipped with an extra grip....usually a phenolic with a thumb rest and lanyard ring. I have a couple in my "retired gun stuff box" along with the rubber ones
Old December 13, 2018, 08:01 PM   #27
tallball

I'm glad it worked out!

I've had my Makarov since the late 1980's and it's still a great shooter.

Apparently they are built to last (they sure look like it).
Old December 16, 2018, 03:47 PM   #28
TBM900

Makarovs are one of the most underrated pistols ever, especially at the price they are currently at. I first 'discovered' them back in the early 90's when they were $79 with 200rds of ammo, even at todays prices they are still a bargain. Once this last batch of Bulgarians dries up I doubt we will ever see any more come in so get them while you can.

I managed to talk my way into crate searching a vendor some years back, managed to find 6 sequentially numbered unissued sets, plus two additional sequences of 3, then two sequenced pairs (all with correctly paired mags). Walked away with all 16 for under 2 grand.....I do miss those days.

Huge HUGE fan of Makarovs
Old December 16, 2018, 06:58 PM   #29
Jdin8455

I just got my first last month, and love it. Wish I'd known more about them 10 years ago when I bought my first handgun.