The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2018, 09:31 AM   #1
isuhunter

Suggestions for new deer slug gun

Hi guys & gals!

I’m in Iowa and looking for a new setup for deer season. I know I’m pretty close to the wire here. I’m looking for your recommendations. Mainly shooting in the shooting in the 75-125 yard range.

I’ve been thinking something budget friendly and maybe multi use for my sons in 10 years.

Remington 870 20 ga with a vortex scope? Curious what everyone else is thinking?
Old November 15, 2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Josh Smith

Hello,

When I was younger I ran the gamut of slug guns.

Today, were I in the market, I'd look at a rifled single shot 12 gauge or maybe a bolt action 12 gauge.

The pump just never felt right, and the 12 gauge pumps were never as precise as my 20 gauge Harrington and Richardson.

Regards,
Josh
Old November 15, 2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Bwillsonhunter4

i'm also from iowa i use an 870 12 ga smooth bore with a 2x7 nikon scope made for a shotgun and really like it however with these new laws if i were going to look at buying a new deer gun i would look at a 45-70 lever
Old November 15, 2018, 12:00 PM   #4
gdcpony

If you can scratch one up, the H&R UltraSlugger is about as good a slugger as you can get. Hefty, but handy and precise as many rifles. Mine (a 20ga) shoots to 1.1" at 100yds and I am still in a 3" at 200yds. I added a range tape and did some serious practicing with mine and took a deer at 260yds a few years back. No deer gets by it at less than 200 for sure.
Old November 15, 2018, 01:32 PM   #5
isuhunter

Lots of people are saying to look at the straight wall cartridge rifles. Hmmm

Thanks for the input so far guys. I’ll see what I can find used at the local shops and go from there. Any certain scopes and powers you guys recommend?
Old November 15, 2018, 02:18 PM   #6
mete

If you can use a 45-70 ,do so ! the 300 s are too soft out to 100 yds but the 300 Barnes is great !! That's all I use . Accurate , reasonable recoil, a performer up to 350 lb red deer and anything lighter in my experience ! Me and my 1885 Browning are very happy with it !
Old November 16, 2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Ricklin

Fairly short range

Given the gun you are considering I would go no more than 2X and would consider a red dot.

Maybe a low power variable like a 2 - 7 X I think I would stick with no grater than 2X tho.

The lower power makes for a wider field of view no need for a big heavy scope on a short range gun.

I have a similar application with an old 30 30 carbine. Since it is already Drilled + Tapped it will wear a similar scope or red dot.
Old November 16, 2018, 10:42 AM   #8
MarkCO

Personally, I would go with the straight wall cartridge in a rifle.

For a slug gun, I would go with a rifled barrel shooting sabots in 12g, or a 20g.
Old November 16, 2018, 03:48 PM   #9
Dano4734

Slug gun an 870 with a rifled barrel and sabots.
Old November 16, 2018, 08:27 PM   #10
Drm50

I'm a Ohian and did slugs for over 55yrs. Was always looking for the edge in slug guns. I tried everything and built them out of every model you can think of. I went to rifled barrels and sabots when they came out. Shots here are average
100yds or less. Most smooth bore 870s and 1100 Rems will shoot 3" at 100yds
with Foster slugs. I have a 870-12g & 1100-20g slug gun and a Brn A5 & Win 97
made into slug guns, all smooth bore. That's what I used and killed several deer
at 125yds with dead 0 of 100yds. Rifled barrels are more accurate and extend the range but I didn't need that. Now we have limited straight case rifle. I have
375w, 44mg & 45/70. I will be using rifle from now on. My wife has got her deer
first morning every year, from same stand and a 20g 1100 slug gun iron sights.
40-60yds.
Old November 17, 2018, 09:26 AM   #11
globemaster3

I’ve had a couple assignments in slug states over the years and assembled 2 Mossberg 500 slug guns with trophy slugster barrels and Nikon slug hunters. The accuracy with sabots was adequate, but not impressive.

Savage still shows the 212 bolt action slug gun in their website, and at one time made a 20 gauge version. I have heard good things about their accuracy, but have not shot one or seen one at the range.

Browning is making an A-Bolt slug gun as well that is worth the look.

By far the best bang for the buck I saw and observed used was the NEF Ultra Slughunter. They made a wood laminate thumbhole version I was going to get, until the USAF thought my skills would be better used other places. The only downside to those NEFs was their weight... they felt rather light. But alas, they went under as last I saw and looking at their website pulls up an error message.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old November 17, 2018, 11:00 PM   #12
deputygene

I bought one of these for a slug gun

https://www.cdnnsports.com/zenith-mc...U#.W_Di2DQvzIU

Camo finish, fibre optic sights. The auto action takes a little of the kick out of heavy slug loads. Mine shoots my Lee 7/8oz drive key slug reloads pretty accurate and has been a great gun so far.

I am really impressed with these Zenith guns and have purchased several including a coach gun, over/under and their pump shotgun. Quality seems outstanding.
Old November 18, 2018, 12:48 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...multi use for my sons..." Multiple sons. Multiple shotguns. One is not enough for 2 shooters. Absolutely not for 3. Who knows what idiocy the unelected civil servants will come up with in 10 years.
However, a 12 gauge is far more versatile and easier to get aftermarket stuff like barrels for than a 20. Think semi-auto if recoil is an issue.
Old November 18, 2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Drm50

As one who has shot thousands of slugs, built dozens of slug guns ( smooth bore) and made
my own slugs for 99% of hunting a good smooth bore and factory Foster slugs are all you need. I got on rifled barrels and sabots myself but went back to smooth bores. The reason
was the gain vs expense of sabots wasn't worth any small gain they provided.

Slug guns are just like rifles, individual guns like certain ammo. Every once in awhile a barrel will turn up that just won't shoot a slug. It's nature of the beast of mass produced
items. On interchangeable barrel guns the cantaliever scope mount has improved accuracy
of scoped guns.

Ohio now has limited rifle cartridges legal but the average deer hunter is not running out to
buy rifles. They have got their deer for years with smooth bores and Foster slugs. It use to
be guys used what ever shotgun they had for slugs. In 60s they all started getting slug barrels. Not many ran out and bought rifled barrel guns. New hunters are buying rifles and
guys who were use to hunting in rifle states switched to rifles immediately. In Ohio I look
for sales of rifled barrel guns to tank. Used racks are full of slug guns and market for them
is soft.