The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 16, 2018, 06:41 PM   #1
rcollier

How long did it take you to get used to EDC?

I have been carrying off and on but not daily.
In the most part it is due to the fact I work at a medical facility that would not allow me to carry.
On the weekend and days off I am not consistent do to comfort for the most part. I have a Ruger LC9s as my carry gun, I have tried different holsters and still haven’t found them comfortable. I wonder if it is a result of the fact that I can’t carry daily so I can’t get completely used to it?
What tips do members have who maybe are in the same situation?
Old December 16, 2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

When you say "I have tried different holsters and still haven’t found them comfortable," may I ask exactly what brand/style of holster you've tried?

A few things to keep in mind:

Kydex holsters (Blackhawk!, Bravo Concealment, etc.) are built for speed, ease of maintenance (toss 'em into the dishwasher), and durability. However, as they are essentially a hard plastic, they aren't necessarily built for comfort.

Ballistic nylon holsters (Uncle Mike's) are more comfortable, and offer nearly the same benefits of maintenance and durability, but are designed as universal fit (will accept a variety of guns usually), which makes them somewhat loose fitting, hence the nylon thumb strap, which makes them slower.

Leather holsters (Galco, Safariland, etc.) offer better looks, a tight fit (can be a little slower), and usually better comfort, but require more care, and will wear out faster than the above.

Then there are the hybrids, (N82Tactical, StealthGear, Vedder, etc.) that offer some combination of kydex and leather or neoprene or other material. These can offer the best combination of comfort and speed as well as being fairly easy to care for.

Generally speaking, for the best combination of speed and comfort and durability (usually anyway) you're going to have to spend some money.

So for instance, my summer EDC holster is a N82Tactical, which is extremely comfortable, but not very fast. I made the conscious decision there that I'd give up some speed-of-draw for more comfort, since I'd be wearing the thing for up to 15 hours a day. I'd never want to wear my Bravo Concealment all-kydex holster for that long.

Ultimately, you're going to have to make those decisions regarding ultimate comfort vs. accessibility/speed/etc. for yourself.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; December 16, 2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old December 16, 2018, 07:38 PM   #3
rcollier

I have tried a DeSantis leather/clip style, Galco Kydex IWB, Leather/Kydex tuckable ( I forget the brand, Sticky/Remora style. I feel like I have a “ bulge” on my hip, have trouble sitting for extended periods. Waist feels tight. I am 155lbs waist usually 32.
Thanks
Old December 16, 2018, 07:40 PM   #4
TXAZ

The Ruger LC9s is excellent for pocket carry. It's about the same size as the Beretta Nano but IMHO is more accurate and nicer recoil. I bought several holsters and tried them out, which looks like you're also doing.

I settled on one of 2 different approaches:

Pocket carry with a BLACKHAWK AMBI TecGrip Pocket Holster, Size 04

or a

5.11 holster undershirt.

On hot days, the holster undershirt is very hot, being polyester with a vapor barrier lining the holster area itself.

Keep trying, you'll find something that works for you.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 16, 2018, 07:53 PM   #5
cslinger

Assuming you need a cover garment anyway try a good gun belt with a good high and tight fitting OWB holster.

The belt NEEDS to be a thick and stiff affair and makes A HUGE difference in carry.

Beyond that you just need to get over the thought that everybody is stairing at you, when the reality is you could have a neon yellow shirt with bright blue letters saying “Hi, my name is Chris and I have a cocked and locked .45 on. Y hip,how is your day?” And the only folks who might notice are the ones you bump into a spill latte on their IPhones......maybe.
Old December 16, 2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollier View Post
I have tried a DeSantis leather/clip style, Galco Kydex IWB, Leather/Kydex tuckable ( I forget the brand, Sticky/Remora style. I feel like I have a “ bulge” on my hip, have trouble sitting for extended periods. Waist feels tight. I am 155lbs waist usually 32.
Thanks
Okay, a few more thoughts.

Assuming you want to carry your LC9 in a holster, and not a pocket.

First, get a pair of pants that are at least an inch larger in the waist than what you normally wear, to make room for the gun. That should alleviate some of the 'tight' feeling.

Then I'd look at either a StealthGear Revolution, AlienGear Cloak Tuck (what I have for my LC9), or maybe a Barsony IWB holster, for example. Those styles are probably going to be more comfortable for EDC.

Or you could go the pocket route, which means something like a DeSantis Ambi Nemesis Holster, which is what I have for both my LCP and my LC9S.
Old December 16, 2018, 08:44 PM   #7
rcollier

Thanks for the help.
I will definitely give the “Hybreds” a look.
Not really interested in pocket carry but maybe another way to go.
I am getting a gun belt on the advice of a friend.
Old December 16, 2018, 09:46 PM   #8
Prof Young

Me too but . . .

I too don't carry daily when in town. I live small town rural and while yeah there can be crazy people anywhere, I just don't feel the need. I have a couple of HD guns in quick access safes.

When I go out of town, even on a country bike ride, I generally carry. I have a variety of sizes of carry guns, and choose accordingly.

My favorite way to carry is in a vest designed for CC. I have several. Tomorrow I'll be going to a meeting in the nearby "big city" and will take my Springfield XDE in cc vest. For most of the evening I won't give it a second thought.

A while back my daughter took me to dinner and the theatre. It was still warmer weather so my Kel Tec P3at came along in a pocket holster. As noted above it all depends.

Plus, I don't know that I want to be 100% comfortable with CC. Toting a gun is a huge responsibility. I don't want to get so comfortable that I'm casual about it.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Last edited by Prof Young; December 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: error
Old December 16, 2018, 10:00 PM   #9
blackwidowp61

Got a Desantis Incognito holster for my EC9s and it works very well. Am thinking about not even wearing a cover shirt during the summer as it looks like something you'd throw an ipod in, not a pistol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old December 17, 2018, 07:59 AM   #10
USNRet93

Quote:
I have been carrying off and on but not daily.
In the most part it is due to the fact I work at a medical facility that would not allow me to carry.
On the weekend and days off I am not consistent do to comfort for the most part. I have a Ruger LC9s as my carry gun, I have tried different holsters and still haven’t found them comfortable. I wonder if it is a result of the fact that I can’t carry daily so I can’t get completely used to it?
What tips do members have who maybe are in the same situation?
"Most" who carry have a drawer full of holsters..I'd say settle on a place that you want to carry...IWB, OWB, appendix, 3 oclock, 5 oclock, whatever, and then look at an as impartial a review as you can about holsters.

Personally, I like Vedder LightTuck, IWB, appendix..Glock 42..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 17, 2018, 10:00 AM   #11
Don P

It's better to have it and not need it, instead of needing it and not having it.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 17, 2018, 11:45 AM   #12
rcollier

DeSantis Incognito!
I like this idea. Solves the tight waist issue.
Thanks

Last edited by rcollier; December 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old December 17, 2018, 01:17 PM   #13
K_Mac

Trying different holsters and positions is just part of the process. It took me a long time, probably a year or more of regular carry before I was anywhere near comfortable carrying a handgun. I now carry one almost always. The rare times I don't carry now cause me to feel uncomfortable. Training, practice, and experience build skill and confidence. There are no shortcuts or substitutes. Be patient and enjoy the process!
Old December 17, 2018, 03:00 PM   #14
Mannlicher

I started carrying a revolver back in the sixties as a lad. Always felt comfortable with that.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 17, 2018, 05:49 PM   #15
Leaf

Rcollier, is it possible your problem is more psychological rather than physical discomfort due to any give holster?
Old December 17, 2018, 07:23 PM   #16
rcollier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Rcollier, is it possible your problem is more psychological rather than physical discomfort due to any give holster?
Maybe some mental stuff involved, but physical discomfort is a role in that too.
I will keep working on it though
Old December 17, 2018, 07:57 PM   #17
JERRYS.

OWB will be more comfortable than IWB.
IWB will not be comfortable if you do not up size your pants or lose weight.
Pocket carry can be difficult unless your pants are all the same in the pockets.
Ankle and Shoulder carry are more of a specialty thing.

start by deciding what gun you want to and CAN carry in all seasons. then decide where you can best access the gun on your body during your normal regular daily activity. you will have a box-o-holsters before you find what works best for you.
Old December 17, 2018, 10:12 PM   #18
peterg7

After 9 years of daily CC the simplest and least taxing is an LCP in my left front pocket.

For bigger guns(Shield9, G23) I have identical holsters, Blackhawk leather IWB and safariland OWB kydex.

Bigger guns require a commitment and there’s a learning curve but with the right holster/belt I can carry all day and forget there is a gun on my belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 17, 2018, 11:41 PM   #19
1MoreFord

As usual my recommendations are an Avenger style OWB holster if you like leather and OWB, or a Summer Special style leather holster for IWB carry. There are several good versions of each one by good holster makers. Milt Sparks, Rosen, Kramer, and Privateer come to mind quickly. There are others I'm forgetting about thanks to ole timer's.

My new favorite is the Vedder LightTuck kydex IWB holster if you're open to plastic. If you go this way let me recommend the 1-3/4" belt clip as their clips run a bit tight.

Any of them could be a good fit for you but unfortunately you'll have to try them. The Vedder is the least expensive and quickest to get and try from the maker. The leather ones take some time if you order from the maker. Some of the Sparks can be found in stock at online dealers though. I'm not sure about the others.

Another good style of holster is the pancake type of OWB holster. The same makers I mentioned also make good versions of this style.

Most of us have a box or drawer full of holsters that sounded good but weren't right for us. Choosing the right holster isn't always easy, so best of luck in finding a comfortable holster.

Last edited by 1MoreFord; December 17, 2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old December 18, 2018, 12:54 AM   #20
big al hunter

Many years ago I was in the same boat you are. I was working with a salty old dog that had been carrying concealed for as long as I had been alive. I had just got my ccw permit and I was complaining about the bulge from my Uncle Mike's holster. I felt like it was not holding the gun close enough to me. He said I should try a Safariland paddle holster. I asked if it could hide a full size Auto. He smiled and said "Can you see mine". I couldn't see a single bulge or ripple in his clothing. When I suggested he wasn't carrying he produced a full size 1911. A Safariland paddle became my go to for OWB. Primary carry was a Ruger P89. I also had a revolver that I carried in a jacket pocket, but I sold that gun many years ago. It took a few months of regular carry to get used to having the extra weight and being self conscious. I found that most people don't notice, or they don't care.
Old December 18, 2018, 06:35 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Comfort will be a big factor, and so will time -- simply carrying will help you to get used to it.

The first thing I tried to get used to concealing was a S&W Bodyguard .380 -- size of a cell phone -- in a Remora ("sticky style") holster. No matter where I put that thing, I felt like I had a brick in my waistband. And it's one of the smallest things you can carry. It was just unfamiliar. I eventually discovered the AIWB position ("Ya point that thing at yer JUNK!?") as the most comfortable by far. I now frequently carry a CZ P-07 in that position -- roughly like a Glock 19 size -- with no discomfort and no difficulty concealing. It does get heavy after a while, and I'm looking to likely switch it up with a single stack like the LC9s (I have a Walther PPS M2 -- same size).

Consider the AIWB position. It's really weird at first but many like me find I to be the most comfortable. And get a dedicated AIWB holster. Cannot recommend JM Custom Kydex strongly enough.

Also, I could never get used to pocket carrying anything. I suppose cargo pants would have helped, but in ordinary jeans, khakis or work pants, the grip of the Bodyguard was still visible to someone looking straight down, and yeah, it kinda looked like a gun. I also hate carrying just about anything in a pocket so it was probably doomed from the start.

Last edited by OhioGuy; December 18, 2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old December 18, 2018, 06:55 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

CC takes a little time and practice to get used to it. When I started carrying, I felt like everybody and their dog could see that I was. The fact that I carried a 5" 1911 probably didn't help. Over time, and with a series of adjustments to pistol, wardrobe and attitude (not necessarily in that order), that feeling went away. Bear in mind that I work in courthouses and other government buildings, so I had the same "no carry at work" dilemma that you do, OP.

I'll make the following suggestions:
1. If you haven't already, get a proper gun belt. It's the foundation of your whole carry system and makes a huge difference in comfort.
2. Put some effort in to making sure you carry when away from work. After a while, you'll get used to the extra weight and, eventually, start to feel a little naked when you don't have it.
3. If your waistband feels tight with IWB, either get bigger pants, or an OWB holster. For each of the guns that I carry on my belt, I have one IWB and one OWB leather. My favorites: (1) IWB = Stealth Gear Revolution; and (2) OWB = DeSantis Speed Scabbard.

What's your work wardrobe like? I'm fortunate in that I wear suits or sport coats constantly. I'm also "a man of a certain age," so people expect to see me in a sport coat. It's a great cover garment.

Good luck!
Old December 18, 2018, 06:21 PM   #23
Rangerrich99

Quote:
DeSantis Incognito!
I like this idea. Solves the tight waist issue.
Thanks
If you're going to pocket carry, take this piece of advice: the only thing you carry in that pocket (the one with the gun) is the GUN. Period.

It's the carrying of keys, pens, change, etc. in the same pocket as the gun that create problems for pocket carry, not the least of which is an accidental discharge.

And of course, always carry your pocket gun in a holster that covers the trigger guard. Period.
Old December 18, 2018, 07:44 PM   #24
Maui19

I carry a compact pistol IWB with a Milt Sparks VMII. It is very comfortable. I can sit through a movie without any discomfort at all. I can feel a slight pressure there, but it is not uncomfortable at all. I have a P320C with a hybrid kydex IWB holster, and it is reasonably comfortable, but not as pleasant as my compact pistol. I use a Beltman gunbelt and have to have loose fitting pants for all this to work well. Getting used to a well fitting setup really doesn't take long at all.
Old December 18, 2018, 09:09 PM   #25
MoArk Willy

Just keep buying holsters until you find one that you are comfortable with. I have a drawer full as well. Shoulder, belly bands, OWB, IWB and ankle holsters. And of course a pocket holster. And no reason not to switch off if you feel like it.
But consider this:
Would you rather be comfortable or safe?