The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 7, 2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Prof Young

Tell me about your Taurus Tracker 692.

I sold my EAA Windicator and am shopping for a new 357. Would like to have something with a longer barrel. I was looking at a used GP 100 but am reading not good things about the seven shot capacity.

I've had Taurus revolvers before and had little trouble. Anyone out there with a Taurus Tracker 692 with the longer barrel want to tell me about it?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 8, 2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Prof Young

Wait . . . never mind . . . .

So I searched Taurus Tracker in the revolver forum and . . . .I've already asked this question some time ago.

Bottom line for Taurus is one of inconsistent quality.

Ah well . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

PS. I still need (okay, want) a long barreled 357. Suggestions are welcome.
Old June 8, 2019, 11:53 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

It's on the 627 compact frame and not the 66 medium frame. It has TRACKER on the left side. It is ported without expansion. The moon clips are flimsy.

I don't know. I want one too...just not sure I want a 627, let a lone a 100 dollar more expensive 627 just to shoot 9mm.

I know I'm not thrilled it's a 3" with ports or the 6".

I would have much preferred on the 66 medium frame and with a 4" barrel.
Old June 8, 2019, 11:57 PM   #4
CommandoX

I had a Taurus Model 66 in .357 years ago. It ate everything and was accurate for me. It was a 6" model, blued. I bought it because I didn't have the money for the gun I wanted the most at the time, the Ruger GP100. I'd guess that I put 10,000 rounds through it.
I eventually traded in the Taurus and got a blued GP100 6 shot. I put about 20,000 rounds through that thing and traded that in when I'd wore it out. What did I get? Another GP100 6 shot in Stainless. That gun only has a couple thousand through it right now and it is one of my favorite guns.
I've no experience with the 7 shot Ruger but I have a buddy that won a 4" Taurus Tracker in .357. I have made loads for it and I've shot it. I liked it but it can't replace my GP. It handles magnum loads well though.

My point? If you are not comfortable with the 7 shot, seriously consider the 6 shot Ruger GP100. It is a sexy looking tank of a gun.
Old June 9, 2019, 12:50 PM   #5
TruthTellers

If you're going to shoot lots of .357 through it (which is something I won't be doing when I get my 692) don't get the Taurus. If it's mostly going to be .38 or 9mm, get the Taurus.

The good thing about the 7 shot GP100 is that because it exists, the used 6 shot GP's will drop in price due to decreased demand. In 5 years we'll probably see those GP's going for $400 used.
Old June 9, 2019, 09:58 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

Interestingly, the 7 shot with better grips, sight, and an extra round has done nothing to the price of the 6 shot, crap grips, and huge sighted 1705.

Nearly the exact same price.