The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 7, 2019, 01:14 PM   #1
tmd47762

22 Range Pistol

I'm starting to think about looking around for a 22 lr pistol for range practice, but don't really want to spend much more than $200-300 at the most. I'm inclined towards something that is either a DA/SA semi or DA revolver, since that's what I shoot centerfire. I've looked at some options for something new, but also wanted some thoughts on the used market as well. I'm not looking for a super-accurate target pistol or a super reliable carry pistol, but something that's good for low-cost range time. I regularly carry a FEG PA-63 so something in the Walther PP layout (Walther or Bersa) might be nice for similar controls and using the same holsters.

So any thoughts or suggestions on what's worked for you or hidden treasures I've not thought about would be appreciated.
Old June 7, 2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Doyle

Decent DA .22LR revolver will cost you way more than $300. About the only low-priced DA 22LR I would consider is an older High Standard. To find a good one in your price range would likely involve patience until the right one comes along. I don't know of anybody currently making a DA/SA semi in .22LR (at least in your price range). There are lots of DAO-type .22LRs in your price point though. One of the best in current production is the S&W M&P 22compact. You can pick up a used one for less than $250 if you are patient.
Old June 7, 2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Bersa offers a couple of Thunder models in .22 LR. I can't find the MSRP on their web site, though.

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...ls/thunder-644
Old June 7, 2019, 02:28 PM   #4
ThomasT

The Bersa Thunder is a good gun. I had one I let someone talk me out of it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...2%20lr&Sort=13

$229.00 plus shipping.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/804012871
Old June 7, 2019, 05:34 PM   #5
Prof Young

Taurus PT 22

You might be able to get a Taurus PT22 for under $300. I had one for a while and it's a fun little gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 7, 2019, 06:12 PM   #6
gwpercle

I've seen the Ruger Wrangler selling for $179.99 , brand spanking new , if you would consider a single action revolver .
I don't need another 22 LR but after reading several reviews I might be forced to go couch mining and see what I can come up with . They seem to be shooters , well made and accurate little fun range or kit guns . I don't need one but... At that price and with all those positive reviews ....I might be forced to get one .
Gary
Old June 7, 2019, 06:45 PM   #7
osbornk

After spending months looking for a reasonably priced DA 22 revolver and not finding one, I bought a Charter Arms Pathfinder target with a 3.2" barrel. The only new DA revolvers I could find that were under $400 were Charter Arms and Taurus. I would have bought either if the price was right but I couldn't find the Taurus I wanted in stock anywhere. The Charter Arms was $355 (plus CC upcharge) or so at Buds Gun Shop. S&W and Rugers were $600+ to much more. I have since found it slightly cheaper here: https://www.centerfireguns.com/
Old June 7, 2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Browning Buck Mark. I recently bought a used Micro and it has exceeded my expectations.

It's incredibly reliable, incredibly accurate, fast to reload and a joy to shoot.

I bought it on a whim with low expecations, but it quickly became my favorite range toy.
Old June 7, 2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Ricklin

I like my Ruger Mk.3 a lot. There are a lot of the Ruger Mk. series out there, and they are all good. The disassembly and reassembly issue is greatly overblown. It's hard not to like a Ruger Mk.
Old June 7, 2019, 09:01 PM   #10
GarandTd

I think the Ruger sr22 is a da/sa hammer fired semiauto pistol. The M&P22 compact is a single action with an internal hammer. They are both 10+1 round capacity and on the smaller side. The S&W is a scaled down version of the full size M&P. Both can be found new for $300-$350. I have the M&P compact and like it a lot, but, I hear the Ruger is a good one too.
Old June 7, 2019, 09:06 PM   #11
GarandTd

A Ruger mark pistol or Browning Buckmark would be good choices too. They're gonna cost a little more than the SR22 or M&P22, but sometimes there are deals on shorter barreled versions of the Buckmark in the $300-350 range. Used examples of either could be found for a little less if you look or luck upon them.
Old June 7, 2019, 09:15 PM   #12
jstert

ruger sr22: reliable, handy, simple to fieldstrip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 7, 2019, 09:20 PM   #13
sparkyv

+1 on the Ruger SR22.
Old June 7, 2019, 10:23 PM   #14
Warman62

My Buckmark is so silly accurate that it almost seems to aim itself.
Old June 7, 2019, 10:31 PM   #15
DaleA

Yeah, I'd up my budget to afford a Ruger Mark something, a Buckmark or maybe the S&W Victory.

If you need to, play this game with yourself. The gun is going to last, well, forever, so the price per month is going to be, nothing.

(That's the thinking that's got me where I am today, typing into a computer on a Friday night...)
Old June 9, 2019, 09:49 AM   #16
Ricklin

Used

I would suggest shopping used for a Ruger Mk. series. There are a lot of them out there. Parts are abundant.
The Ruger Mk. series can be a blank canvas if that's what you want. I'm certain you can build one using exactly zero parts from Ruger, if that's what you wanted.
Old June 11, 2019, 11:02 AM   #17
rodfac

Here's another vote for one of the Ruger Mk series...the Mk2 is about the best of the lot: slide locks back after the last round is fired and a decent trigger for a plinking gun. Mine is a Mk2 and is every bit as accurate as my S&W Model 41 from a rested position. The Smith's superb trigger makes it a standout from anything other than a rested position, however.

Another good choice is one of the Ruger Single Sixes...either the Convertible model or the 22 lr only one. Any of them are a great choice and will outlive you and your kids. We've had two here and both were/are excellent. Neither has been particular about ammunition choice...you can expect 1.5" gps at 25 yds from a rest with any I've had the pleasure to shoot.

Currently we've got a half dozen .22's between my sons and I. The .22 lr uppers that sit on a Sig P226, and Colt & Ruger 1911's are reliable if kept clean, especially the chambers. Accuracy with the Ciener, Advantage Arms, and Marvel units is good enough for all but top drawer NRA Bullseye competition with selected ammo.

I'm personally partial to a pair of revolvers: a 70's vintage Colt Diamond back with a 4" bbl., and a similar vintage S&W Model 18, again with a 4" tube. Both are a joy to shoot with the accuracy laurels going to the Smith. The problem here is that either, especially the Colt, will really set you back financially...but either is also a lifetime investment. Accuracy with the Smith is on a par with my Model 41 Smith and that's from an offhand position too. That famous S&W SA trigger is awfully hard to beat.

Lastly, a High Standard or Colt Woodsman auto is a good choice if you're working with seasoned shooters. For newbies or youngsters; they'll bear watching as the auto-guns are ALWAYS loaded til the mag runs out. Son #2 has a Woodsman Match Target with the 4.5" bbl. that's superbly accurate in all hands, but I do find that its "Luger" slant to the grips does not suit my 1911ish tastes.

YMMv, but given the choice and best bang for the buck, I'd pick a Ruger Single Six with the adjustable sights. You can find 'em in SS if you camp a bunch or blued if that's you're fancy and you'll be happy for the rest of your days. And with all, I'd opt for a 5-1/2" bbl. or less; makes packing it on a belt holster a lot easier.

Best Regards, Rod Pic is of the Diamondback and S&W M18
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old June 11, 2019, 11:10 AM   #18
IdaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Decent DA .22LR revolver will cost you way more than $300. About the only low-priced DA 22LR I would consider is an older High Standard.
I've got an old high standard revolver that my dad got me when I was a teenager probably 25+ years ago and it's honestly pretty great. Cheapo plastic grips and all.
Old June 14, 2019, 05:27 AM   #19
darkgael

If you own a 1911, look at one of the .22 conversion kits from Marvel, Nelson, or Ceiner.
All accurate and reliable..
Old June 14, 2019, 10:19 PM   #20
Fullclip610

Ruger sr22. Great deal. Probably top 3 in most reliable modern rimfire autoloaders.
Old June 15, 2019, 05:17 AM   #21
Mobuck

The Ruger SR22 is a handy little pistol to CARRY but the one I have is nowhere near what I'd consider a "range pistol".
There are lots of Ruger 22/45 pistols on the market, the worst of which are likely to be a better "Range pistol" than a SR22.
Old June 15, 2019, 10:01 AM   #22
riffraff

I have 2 SR22's, the long and short barrel, they demand CCI mini mags or equivalent to be reliable and I feel they function best on the 40 grain round nose - I really like them but they are finicky in my opinion. 200+ rounds and at some point they will go jamo-matic until you at least clean key places, they are very easy to clean.

My longer barrel one I feel is more reliable but it's also newer, and was a special order not subject to handling prior to me buying it so that could be a factor, as could the longer barrel.

I run the two kits to get 17 rounds in the mags, works great.

The trigger reset sucks and there's no fix Im aware of, incredibly long. But other handguns I have are Sig SRT so maybe Im just picky because of that...

Will never sell my SR22s but may pickup the S&W M&P 22LR some day. Ive shot them, wish it was a DA/SA exposed hammer but regardless the trigger is bettter reset wise and they seem to run on any ammo (not that I care what I feed but shows reliability)..

Also I have an interest in the new Keltec 22wmr - just looks cool, holds 30!
Old June 15, 2019, 10:56 AM   #23
Ricklin

Having owned a Mk. 2 and a Mk. 3 I would agree, the Mk. 2 is the best of the bunch. I sold my Mk. 2 long story. The Mk. 3 was a real jam o matic right out of the box, only mini mags would run reliably.
Get rid of that loaded chamber indicator, it's super simple to do. Mine is boringly reliable now.
I love the design of the older Mk. it's very elegant. Take down is quick and easy with a little practice.
Old June 15, 2019, 12:33 PM   #24
FrankenMauser

Can't go wrong with a Buckmark.

I'm liking my new Ruger Wrangler.

Ruger Mk series is fine.

I would not give more than about forty two cents for a Walther P22. My family has had more than half a dozen. None were good. Some were terrible. Only two idiots still own one (each), because they formed some kind of 'sentimental' attachment due to the source of the funds used for the original purchases. (And one might still be owned ... maybe ... even though the owner doesn't like it. He misplaced it and can't find it. )

If you want a cheap DA revolver, there's always Rohm...
Old June 15, 2019, 01:03 PM   #25
Crankylove

Quote:
I would not give more than about forty two cents for a Walther P22.
I second this.

Quote:
If you want a cheap DA revolver, there's always Rohm...
I have a Rohm RG30 that I paid $1 for. The Rohm is more reliable, and more accurate the any of the P22’s that Frankenmauser mentioned.

Even the owner(s) that still have them won’t shoot them due to functional issues. Most times, if you can get 6-8 rounds out of a mag before it malfunctions, it’s a good day. Manage to finish a whole mag, and you should go buy a lotto ticket. Many people like them, but every one I’ve been around was full of problems.

I grew up on Buckmarks and Ruger MKII’s, own a Ruger MKIII, S&W 617, Browning Challenger, and a Browning 1911-22. I’ve shot Taurus, Walther, Sig, NAA, Bersa, S&W, Jennings, and a few others.

It may not be the least expensive, but my first choice would be a Buckmark or 1911-22, followed closely by a Ruger MK series or Wrangler/Single 6.

Last edited by Crankylove; June 15, 2019 at 01:16 PM.