The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2019, 10:50 PM   #26
jhansman

One of the 10 Rules of Reloading I have in front of my face whenever I'm at the bench says "When in doubt, throw it out. Disassemble any load you are not 100% sure of." More than once I've been tempted to disregard this rule, but didn't. Life is short enough as is; I don't need to hasten it through carelessness.
Old June 7, 2019, 01:53 AM   #27
Metal god

Quote:
If you set a primer off during seating and you were using normal seating pressures I would get rid of that entire batch of primers. You can literally crush one flat with normal seating pressure and methods and it shouldn't go off because that is not the way primers work.
I kept having issues with my Hornady hand primer . I use the RCBS universal hand primer which for me it way better . When I think back to what I was doing to primers when trying to seat them

I'm likely very lucky none of them went off . I was having a 5 to 10% failure rate with my Hornady primer . Most of the time I could not even tell I was crushing the primers . I now use a leather glove when hand priming . It may not stop all damage that may happen but it is an extra layer of protection .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 7, 2019, 07:51 AM   #28
Don P

Quote:
I'm likely very lucky none of them went off
With nothing in the case it would be just a loud pop as all the energy would expel out the end of the case
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.