The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 17, 2019, 03:22 PM   #26
precision_shooter

Hahaha. You win, I yield to your superiority. 6.5 Grendel fo life!
Btw, I don’t own one but do own a 7.62x39. So much for your assumptions...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 17, 2019, 03:40 PM   #27
CarJunkieLS1

I own both in different configurations so I'm fairly versed in the capabilities of both. And at 200 yards it's roughly 60 ftlbs of energy and less than 2" of drop difference.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:53 PM   #28
9x19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Tsk tsk tsk...you coulda had a 458 socom.

Nope, that barrel is too long.

I don't think CarjunkieLS1 has figured out that folks who buy 12" barrels aren't in it for the velocity. They buy them, because, well.... Only short-barrel rifles are interesting.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:48 PM   #29
ed308

I know Grendel is king in AR-15 and anyone who says it or shows otherwise is being unfair...its alright I get it.

Until you put it up agains't the 7mm Valkyrie, 270AR and 270MSR. They blow it away LOL. For hunting, I'd grab one of my 6.8s or 270AR over my Grendel since I like the .277 hunting bullets better. For punching paper, the Grendel may be king in the AR15 frame. But the .224 Valkyrie may be even better for that task.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:56 PM   #30
CarJunkieLS1

Ed308 I agree with you 100% but the 7mm Valkyrie and Grendel comparison isn't fair, and Grendel still wins because of magazine capacity, that's what I've been told anyways.

I have a Grendel and I don't ever shoot it simply because my bad experience with a certain man on the Grendel social media pages. It is a effective medium game killer and an accurate rifle thiugh.
Old May 18, 2019, 01:22 PM   #31
9x19

ed308,

I didn't opt for any of the 7mms, but the four I have cover my bases.

5.56 - 10.5" (and a 16")
6.5G - 12"
.300AAC - 10.5"
.450BM - 12"

This of course leaves out the .22LR, .22WMR and 9mm ARs I own. (As well as the Armalite AR-10 in .308 and the AR-15 in 7.62x39 that I let go.)

I had to choose a place to stop and I'm there, but like I've said: Y'all have fun.

Last edited by 9x19; May 18, 2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old May 18, 2019, 01:31 PM   #32
stagpanther

I've built 4 Grendel/264 lbc's--why anyone would use a barrel under 18" is a mystery to me in that caliber. Or, let me rephrase that, when I did I found the performance fell off dramatically.
Old May 18, 2019, 01:43 PM   #33
Double Naught Spy

I have a hunting buddy who loves the challenge of getting a new caliber (sometimes building a new rifle, sometimes buying), putting it through its paces to see what it will do, and then selling it off to try a new one. The current project is the 500 Auto Max. I think in the 3 years that we have been hunting together, he has probably been through 8 or 9 different rifle platforms. He keeps coming back to Grendel, not because it is necessarily superior to everything else, but because I also shoot it and it just plain works for our needs as hog hunters (as would many other calibers, given shooter preferences). That is sort of the bottom line.

What kills me is that while he sells off the ones that don't turn out well, he also sells off the ones that turn out to be outstanding. Go figure.

Every caliber is a compromise. Every caliber will do something better than any other caliber, even if you have to nitpick you way through the data to find some subtle benefit or to create some sort of new category in which it will be top dog.

CarJunkie, enjoy your experiment. Not everyone will share your enthusiasm and we don't have to or need to. What matters is that you enjoy it. Maybe the 25 GPC becomes your go-to caliber. Maybe not.
Old May 18, 2019, 08:25 PM   #34
9x19

Quote:
I've built 4 Grendel/264 lbc's--why anyone would use a barrel under 18" is a mystery to me in that caliber. Or, let me rephrase that, when I did I found the performance fell off dramatically.
When I hang the Silencerco Omega on the end of that 12" barrel, it gets as long as I care for.

18" + 7.5" of silencer = 25.5" of unwieldy to carry through the woods.

Short barrels work best for me. If you like them longer, well, y'all have fun.

I've found these decisions to be so much easier, without a chronograph
Old May 18, 2019, 10:10 PM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
Quote:
When I hang the Silencerco Omega on the end of that 12" barrel, it gets as long as I care for.

18" + 7.5" of silencer = 25.5" of unwieldy to carry through the woods.

Short barrels work best for me. If you like them longer, well, y'all have fun.

I've found these decisions to be so much easier, without a chronograph
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
Old May 21, 2019, 08:18 AM   #36
davidsog

Now who has the Malibu dreamhouse, huh? huh? Come on Gentleman....I know one of you has it, LOL!