The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2019, 01:53 PM   #26
RC20

Quote:
Personally, I find the desire to polish cartridge cases to be a pursuit of vanity - turning ammunition into 'range jewelry'.
That is me to a T! I love my shiny bullets, they make me feel good.

Now my wife may have something to say about my lack of vanity.

But by golly no one is going to dis my bullets at the range!
Old April 22, 2019, 02:01 PM   #27
Constrictor

the only way to keep my brass Trombone form tarnishing is to polish it often.
Old April 22, 2019, 02:22 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Quote:
But by golly no one is going to dis my bullets at the range!

I respect that.
Old April 22, 2019, 05:08 PM   #29
cw308

Whether dull or shinny , respect is hitting what you aim at . I do like my reloads to look like fine jewelry but if dirty scrounge rounds all followed in the same bughole , my ways would change pretty fast. Until then I'll still wet tumble.
Old April 22, 2019, 05:35 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Whether dull or shinny , respect is hitting what you aim at . I do like my reloads to look like fine jewelry but if dirty scrounge rounds all followed in the same bughole , my ways would change pretty fast. Until then I'll still wet tumble.
More than 90% of my brass is desert, mountain, or range pickup.
The tarnished, mottled, and deep brown cases all shoot the same as shiny ones.

I stopped going for shiny and bright, and became satisfied with just 'clean' about a decade ago.
Old April 22, 2019, 06:13 PM   #31
RC20

Quote:
I respect that.
Oh Good, I have a nice setup and people have high exceptions of big barrels and cool looking scopes. I don't want to let my fans (groupies) down (grin)

Last edited by RC20; April 22, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old April 22, 2019, 06:19 PM   #32
Grey_Lion

I'm a little surprised I haven't noticed anyone mention silica dry packets.

I save all those annoying silica dry packets out of luggage, shoes, pill bottles, new electronics, heck even out of some processed meat packages.

I de-prime the brass, wet tumble, dry, and store in small re-purposed food tuppers with a couple of silica dry packets and that seems to extend the life of the shine. It doesn't stay as nice as right out of the tumbler, but it stays acceptably shiny for quite some time.

I do the same for stored ammo in .50 cal ammo cans - and also put a couple in my tool boxes to keep rust & tarnish in check there.
Old April 22, 2019, 06:23 PM   #33
m&p45acp10+1

I use the RCBS cleaner. It works well, and does not require rinsing. With the lemishine I first tumble the brass for a half hour with no pins. Just lemishine,, and dawn dish soap. The water will be filthy when I dump it. I give the brass a light rinse. I then put in two scoops of lemishine from a .05 cc dipper. A table spoon of Dawn dish soap. Run 3 hours. strain the pins out. Then submerge rinse the brass twice. Dry well after. I have also skipped the lemishine, and just used soapy water with the pins, and the brass I did 6 months ago is still shining.

My preference is using the RCBS solution. I use less than half the recommended amount, and the results are great.
Old April 22, 2019, 08:06 PM   #34
9MMand223only

Here is the best method I have seen.

http://www.natoreloading.com/cleanbrass/

I use near same method, except without the ShineBrite and bearings.
Old April 22, 2019, 10:34 PM   #35
F. Guffey

And then there was R. Lee in his book on modern reloading did not believe it was necessary to hover over brass cases.

I disagreed, I do not want anything between the chamber and case but air and I know my brass is embeddable, if I do not clean my cases dirt, grit and grime can be embedded into my cases.

And then there is air, I do not want a lot of it between the chamber and case.

F. Guffey
Old April 22, 2019, 11:24 PM   #36
Marco Califo

I FARTed and my brass is shiny!

I FARTed and my brass is shiny! And you cant stop me!
Say YOU need regular unleaded gasoline for the automobile you driving your elderly mother to the hospital in, and you pull into a gas station. You tell the attendant you need gasoline because you are almost out, but, the attendant is an electric vehicle fanatic. All he will do is tell you that you do not really need gasoline, its bad for the planet and Exxon is evil. What would you do?
Of course, you are going to thank him for his opinion, and say good luck with that, as your mother passes away while you wait for auto club to bring the gas he wouldn't sell you.
So, then, when presented with a simple question, which you are entirely in your rights to ignore, you instead insist on presenting an unwanted contrary opinion about why you don't like the question. OP's not interested. And you are not going to convince anyone of anything. Why do you pollute the question you consciously chose not to answer? What is the payoff to you? What do you call yourself? What would Psychiatrists, therapists and psychologists call you? Uh, maybe you like hot-air ballooning?

I did not name the Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler, or create its amusing acronym. But someone frowns on a little humor, and shiny brass? Good for you! Well, there you go. Have a nice day!
Old April 22, 2019, 11:58 PM   #37
Metal god

never mind

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 23, 2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old April 23, 2019, 07:30 AM   #38
David R

. . . which was at least related to what I asked, but I could not find where someone once wrote of adding car polish to a FART final rinse.

It was me. I use car wash wax.

Tumble in hot water with 1/4 tsp lemeshine and 1 -3 tsp car wash soap. Mine is low ph.
Next i dump out the black water
Fill again with warm water and run a minute. Dump out again.
Add hot water and one table spoon car wash wax.
Tumble one minute and dump out. Do not rinse. Dry in dehydrater.
If I don't dry right away, it starts to turn dark.

If you put my clean brass in a cardboard box, it would look just like it came from midway.

The wax is because the 9mm were sticking in the dies, both sizing and powder funnel in the dillon.

I have only had the FART for less than a year. Brass is still shiny.

Tried Zip car wash/wax. Worked well also. My wife owns a car wash, so chemicals are easy to get.

I gave away my vibrater.
David
Old April 23, 2019, 08:34 AM   #39
cw308

Storing 1 to 3 years . I would think it depends on the condition in your area . I wet tumble and have alot of 308 brass . Once they dry off I store them in a cardboard box , they do darken slightly but still look clean and new . My home is kept at a comfortable temperature all year round , I'm sure that helps . Keeping them dry is the battle .
Old April 23, 2019, 09:31 AM   #40
F. Guffey

Quote:
Next i dump out the black water
Again, I am the one without my own formula, many years ago (before the Internet) I used a formula that cleaned brass. The technique was lock-step meaning the maximum amount of time in the acid was 2 minutes. After removing from the solution it was necessary to rinse twice in boiling clean water. I do not believe it was a miracle but the residual heat in the case dried the case so the thought of using an oven, food dehydrator, towels etc. never occurred to me.

By the time the cases were dry they turned black. Try to understand that was before the internet and there was no help with making up reasons for the black cases. Back then the slang for the black cases was referred to as ‘being pickled’. The reason for the ‘pickle’ term was in the instructions; the instructions suggested this technique prepared the cases for long term storage.

I had no interest in storing a liquid in a glass and or crock container so I went to using vinegar, nothing special just 5% with nothing added and if I choose to use more time I simply added water. When using vinegar the solution turns green. To avoid confusing anyone I use vinegar on the worst of cases for the sole purpose of reducing tumble time. And then there is the hidden factory thing, that would be time. I use vinegar on the worst of cases for a maximum of 15 minutes; I know, I am not the fan of cases turning orange and or pink and I understand it only happens to me but I have had cases disappear in acid because of the time factor.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; April 23, 2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: hange can to fan
Old April 23, 2019, 09:49 AM   #41
Marco Califo

I have a big white box of factory W 45 ACP on a counter open for 3 months. They shine like apples in the grocery store. How did the factory make them like that? That is what I am after.

Last edited by Marco Califo; April 24, 2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old April 23, 2019, 10:36 AM   #42
FrankenMauser

They were pickled/passivated.

It's already been mentioned: Citric acid.
Old April 23, 2019, 10:53 AM   #43
F. Guffey

Quote:
I have a big white box of factory W 45 ACP on a counter open for 3 months. They shine like apples in the grocery store. How did the factory ma0ke them like that? That is what I am after.
Quote:
How did the factory make them like that?
I do not know.

I have a few boxes of Twin City 45 ACP with early 70s date stamps, that would be close to 50 years ago. The cases look as good today as they did when the ammo was loaded. It had nothing to do with being bored but I checked the cases, I waved my magneflux 'spelling?' machine over the open box when to my surprise all of the loaded rounds jumped out of the box and stuck to the magnetic.

I though I had found a bargain on 9mm loaded ammo, the dealer I purchased the ammo was loosely wound (an opinion). I asked him if there was anything I needed to know about the ammo before I fired it.

He explained to me he assumed it was plinking ammo and then he described his experience with it the first time he shot it. He said he fired it inside of his shop 'once' He claimed the bullet hit, bounced and ricocheted off of ever piece of metal in his shop. And then he went on to say he swore that bullet passed him 5 times. And then he cautioned me, he suggested if I decided to shoot the three boxes of ammo I should shoot and duck. And that reminded me of Buddy Ryan.

F. Guffey
Old April 23, 2019, 11:00 AM   #44
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
If I don't dry right away, it starts to turn dark.
Sounds like too little citric acid. It should leave the brass surface relatively passivated. Mine comes out yellow and the yellow darkens very gradually over a period of months, but never gets darker than military brass is below the annealing stains.

Incidentally, you can buy citric acid for a lot less than it costs in the Lemishine form. Amazon is cheapest for some package weights if you have Prime to cover the shipping. Duda Diesel is usually least expensive if you need postage-paid prices, and is overall cheapest for a bulk buy with friends (50 lb bag). The old Frankford Arsenal reusable brass cleaning formula is 5% citric acid by weight in water. That's about 1 cup of crystals plus a gallon of water. The citric acid One Shot ultrasonic formula Hornady sells for use-once-throw-away purposes is more like 1-1.5% or about 3 to 4 tablespoons per gallon.

Citric acid is a water softener, so you would think it needs no detergent, but I note that Hornady One Shot ultrasonic cleaning solution concentrate has diethanolamine in their ultrasonic cleaning solution in a ratio of one part diethanolamine (DEA) per sixty parts citric acid by weight. Forms of DEA are in shampoos and the like, plus it has some oxidation inhibiting properties. I haven't used it, specifically, but have thrown a teaspoon of Dawn into the citric acid solution to help remove gun oils and suspend dirt and carbon.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 23, 2019, 11:03 AM   #45
hounddawg

well if you are really serious about it you will need to prevent oxygen from reaching the metal.

Get a small bottle of nitrogen from a welding supply shop along with a regulator and store your brass in air tight containers that has had the oxygen replaced by nitrogen.
Old April 23, 2019, 11:21 AM   #46
Unclenick
Staff

Don't get wet nitrogen. You can buy nitrogen pumped with water-lubricated pumps mainly for food-related purposes (the fine bubbles in Guinness stout are due to them being part nitrogen). You want to be sure to get oil-pumped nitrogen for protecting cases or anything else. It works because it dissolves oxygen well enough to keep it from reacting with other things.
Old April 23, 2019, 11:27 AM   #47
dahermit

Quote:
I switched to wet tumbling with an FART...
I have no idea what that means. Can someone bring me up to date.
Old April 23, 2019, 11:38 AM   #48
MoArk Willy

There is no reason to keep brass shiny unless you are anal retentive.
Are you planning to load several thousand loads at once?
Just de-prime and store it until you are ready to load it.
It takes a few hours to tumble clean brass and no more than a few hours or overnight to dry it. Better yet, sell the "several thousands" of rounds. From what you are saying you have no intentions of shooting them....just storing them.
Old April 23, 2019, 11:42 AM   #49
Bayou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
Quote:
I switched to wet tumbling with an FART...
I have no idea what that means. Can someone bring me up to date.
FART = Franklin Arsenal Rotary Tumbler

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old April 23, 2019, 11:45 AM   #50
Unclenick
Staff

Right. It's not a means of making your cases identifiable by scent, the way natural gas is.

Tags
fart , shiny brass