The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 22, 2019, 06:06 PM   #76
7.62 man

Tell her it's better than spending the money on other women. LOL
Old February 22, 2019, 06:08 PM   #77
GarandTd

Haha...my wife sometimes asks if "going to the range" is code for "something else?"
Old February 22, 2019, 07:52 PM   #78
.38SuperMan

GarandTD that sounds exactly like my EX. Emphasis on EX.
Old February 22, 2019, 08:49 PM   #79
hounddog409

"A) Guns are not an investment. They are toys."

What? Guns are not toys.
Old February 22, 2019, 09:03 PM   #80
DashingDan

My wife loves me having guns
Old February 22, 2019, 09:49 PM   #81
OneFreeTexan

Let me see if I understand this,,,, You dated a woman for months, maybe even years, and you never discussed both your opinions on guns..????
Old February 22, 2019, 10:46 PM   #82
GarandTd

Quote:
sounds exactly like my EX. Emphasis on EX
My wife is s good woman with shortcomings just like myself. I take it with a light heart and dish it back when necessary.
Old February 23, 2019, 03:51 AM   #83
hemiram

I'm not married, came close once. Her dad was a gun guy, so there was no problem there.

My guns have been a much better investment than just about anything else I've tried. My stocks have been pretty much duds, even when they were good in the past, as soon as I bought them, they went into the toilet. My savings right now are the highest I've had in a long time, and the interest I make is just a joke. Barring a medical disaster, I'm looking good to be pretty much debt free by my 65th birthday and me having guns to sell off pretty much saved me from having to hit the credit card for a huge tax bill in 2013.

A friend of mine wants to buy either a Mustang or a Challenger, but his wife won't let him. The money is there, he's got health issues and is about to turn 60, so it's probably his last shot at it. That he has to ask her permission just makes me sad for him, and happy that I'm single, driving my 2018 Challenger R/T Scatpack I bought for a 62nd Birthday present for myself!
Old February 23, 2019, 08:16 AM   #84
ROCK6

Hahahaha...I can slip a few more in here, she'll never know (didn't even include the revolvers!)

ROCK6
Old February 23, 2019, 08:53 AM   #85
SDF880

Dang Rock I sure like your table top cover!
Old February 23, 2019, 09:24 AM   #86
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Hahahaha...I can slip a few more in here, she'll never know (didn't even include the revolvers!)

ROCK6
Yikes, how do you decide what to shoot during 'range days'??

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 23, 2019, 10:43 AM   #87
Road_Clam

I am fortunate in the sense I have a "converted" wife. Back 30 years ago when we chose to marry I knew up front my wife was "scared and concerned" around firearms. She was honest and said she did not want any guns around our young children. I respected and accepted this and sold my few guns I had and basically retreated from the sport. about 8 years ago my children are grown up, and a different situation. I asked my wife if she would be ok with me getting back into firearms, she said ok, she still had no interest in guns. Then I bought a shotgun for shooting trap with a friend. I also bought a Glock G22. After persistence, I FINALLY persuaded her to come to the range and try. Long and happy story my wife LOVES shooting trap , she also very much enjoys handgun. She also is pursuing CC personal defense instructional training. The key is to expose your spouse very patiently and keep everything FUN. Start them out with 22LR and let your SPOUSE make the decisions moving forward. I'm probably a less common situation as most spouses once they hate, they will always hate.

Last edited by Road_Clam; February 23, 2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old February 23, 2019, 12:16 PM   #88
osbornk

My wife used to ask my why I needed another one. After a few "Because I wanted it", she stopped asking and sorta shakes her head. Even though I bought a Miata so we could ride the mountain roads together, she keeps trying to get me to sell my motorcycle. I think that is because a few years ago, she came home and found my face bruised and I wasn't aware of it. I had apparently been on my bike, had a minor stroke, had an accident and rode it home and parked it in it's normal place. I don't remember anything but the entire right side of the bike was damaged and they discovered that I had a stroke while diagnosing a concussion I had. Don't remember a thing.
Old February 23, 2019, 01:22 PM   #89
T. O'Heir

"...raised around guns..." Doesn't make any difference one way or the other. People are continually bombarded with anti-firearm ownership propaganda by Hollywood and the assorted media hacks.
Never have understood how anybody could be afraid of an inanimate object though. It's like being frightened of your toaster.
Do have a wife. Haven't ever had a need for one.
"...they'll change the things about their man..." Yep. Causes more divorces than anything but money. Sister in law thought my brother was going to stop playing hockey 5 times a week. I told her he was playing a violent children's game and he'd never grow out of it.
Old February 23, 2019, 02:42 PM   #90
Leaf

Be careful, Rock. Having a gun accumulation like that makes a lot of people these days poop their panties and start logging your google searches.
Old February 25, 2019, 08:41 PM   #91
rodfac

Quote:
thinks my pistol purchases are a waste of money.
That was my wife's position for the first 25 of the 48 years we've been married. That was until our daughter in law was nearly mugged while showing a house (she's a realtor).

Since then, she's come around, and while not an aficionado by any means, she's been to Front Sight twice with me for their 4-day Defensive Handgun Course. Her bedside gun is a Glock 23 with night sights, and she carries either a S&W M637, a S&W M36 with 3" bbl. or a S&W Bodyguard380 depending on her wardrobe vs. weather conditions. When we're out, and in more formal attire, she asks if I'm going to carry and what it's going to be.

So don't give up guys, your better half may come around. Mine is sure proud of the skills she's learned and does practice them with me on a monthly basis at a minimum. And she's brought some of her friends out to our farm for an afternoon's indoctrination in hand gun handling and safety practices.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 25, 2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old February 25, 2019, 09:53 PM   #92
2wheelwander

^^^^I wish there was a way to 'like' posts
Old February 25, 2019, 11:01 PM   #93
jmstr

My wife didn't hold a pistol until we started dating- when she was 47 years old.

She doesn't oppose me, or even make snide comments. Sometimes she tells me to go to the range.

I am sure she would rather I had fewer firearms- but that is because the cases eat into her closet space.

Some people can change. Others can't.

I don't know the OP's wife, or whether change is possible.

As to the calibers you mentioned- I like 9mm more than .380: more power and it seems like less recoil.

But, 22lr is my favorite.

o
Old February 26, 2019, 11:06 PM   #94
JDBerg

Just tell her your guns are worth a lot more than what you originally told her you paid for them - LOL
Old February 27, 2019, 06:22 PM   #95
Brian48

My wife was taken back a little bit at first, but quickly became indifferent. So long as I'm not depleting the kids' college fund, she could care less about my hobby.
Old February 27, 2019, 07:45 PM   #96
MarkGlazer

How would she feel about a working civil war cannon on the front lawn ready to go? Serves the same purpose........
Old February 27, 2019, 07:51 PM   #97
2wheelwander

Just curious ROCK6, what model stainless Smith is that in the upper left corner?
Old February 27, 2019, 08:06 PM   #98
OneFreeTexan

A middle age couple get married. She tells him that now that they are married, he should get rid of his motorcycle, his fishing boat,, his snow mobile,,,etc, etc....cause obviously she’s going to run his life now, and he shouldn’t waste his time and money on all that ‘junk’
He says “you sound like my ex-wife”
She screams”you said you weren’t married before”

He answers,,,,”I wasn’t”
Old February 27, 2019, 08:10 PM   #99
Doc Holliday 1950

My wife & I shoot together 2 times/week. I think that covers it.

Doc
Old February 27, 2019, 08:14 PM   #100
David R

My wife does not like me buying pistols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950 View Post
My wife & I shoot together 2 times/week. I think that covers it.
Same here. This is 15 yards with my Dan Wesson Valor in 45

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk