The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 8, 2018, 04:17 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

Leupold VX-Freedom?

Just curious to see what this new line of scopes are about. What threw me off is the price ranging from $250-$350ish MSRP. That isn't normal Leupold prices, so does anybody know if they're made by another company and then slapped their logo on it? Anybody have one?
Old March 10, 2018, 04:40 PM   #2
jmr40

They dropped the VX-1 which sold for about $200 and the VX-2 which sold for about $300 and combined some features of each to make the VX-Freedom. The glass is basically VX-2, with a different body, and some other features. Not as many options as to reticles, and other options.

Winston Churchill
Old March 13, 2018, 04:03 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

Thanks. I noticed that about the reticle options too. And they're all 1" tubes, no 30mm. I was thinking they had a lot of 1" tubes in inventory since 30mm is the rage now, and just made a new line of 1" tube scopes to get rid of inventory.
Old June 14, 2019, 09:08 PM   #4
BuckBerry

I just bought a VX Freedom 3-9x40 and I’m quite impressed. I was just out on the deck as darkness fell with the Freedom and also my VX3i and they were identical on light transmission. Sunset was at 916p this evening, and at 946p both scopes were the same in terms of light transmission. For a more simple scope, the VX Freedom is a well-spent $200 imo.
Old June 14, 2019, 09:52 PM   #5
std7mag

I was/am looking seriously at the VX Freedom 4-12X40 with their MOA (Tri power?) reticle.
I liked the glass. But not enough for the price.
Also, even though i would use it on a hunting rifle, i shoot targets fairly regularly at 600 yards, and at times out to 1,000 yards. Bear in mind, i usually keep hunting shots to 400 yards and less.
The knobs for elevation and windage just don't cut it for me.

For 1/2 the price the Sightron SI Field Target scope is just as good optics wise, and way better when you wanna turn the knobs.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 17, 2019, 02:47 AM   #6
idek

I've owned six Leupold scopes.

One of the reasons I've liked Leupold scopes was that they were almost always trimmer and lighter than comparable scopes from other companies. That made them easier to carry on a field gun, nicer looking (imo), and sometimes they could be mounted lower despite having the same objective as competitors.

In Leupold's VX-Freedom line, the scopes seem as bulky and heavy as everyone else's now. I realize that maybe doesn't matter to many people, but it's something to consider for some.

My last scope purchase was a discontinued 1.5-4x20 VX-II on an online auction. The VX-Freedom version would have been a little cheaper but would have weighed about 20% more (at least according to their listed specs).

Last edited by idek; June 17, 2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old July 2, 2019, 03:23 AM   #7
bamaranger

carbine optic

I am very close to buying the 1.5x-4 Leupold Freedom for on my AR carbine. Can't decide on the pig plex or a standard duplex. I don't care for the larger diameter turret caps or the bulkier appearance at the junction of turrets and tube, the old Vari-X and VX 's were much sleeker.

But for right around $200 bucks, Leupold reliability , and the power range I want, it's one of the few options out there.