The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2019, 04:34 PM   #1
AustinTSI

Simple solution to decap Speer 357 Sig small flash hole cases

I will make this short and sweet.

According to Redding their universal decapper doesn't have replaceable pins but all of their rifle dies have the small pin.

So I have a Redding Reloading Type S Full Length Sizing Die in 308 Winchester, #77155; and after looking at it I confirmed the following:
  • the body will not touch a 357 Sig
  • the pin is replaceable
  • the pin will fit in the small flash hole
So you can use most large rifle caliber Redding dies as a universal decapper on 357 Sig cases and it will even work on the Speer small flash hole cases.

David.
Old May 20, 2019, 06:20 PM   #2
LE-28

I use an old 30-06 resizing die to deprime everything from 357mag and down. I know it will resize a 41 mag so I don't use it for that.
I started using it to get away from using a universal de-priming die with the spring loaded de-priming pin.
That die was shooting spent primers all over my reloading room.
30-06 or 308 re-sizing dies work great for depriming for anything smaller than 40-41 cal cases.

I'm going to end up taking the solid de-priming stem out of my 30-06 die and putting it in my RCBS universal de-priming die to make it behave. Then I can deprime anything up to 45-70 with the same die without being hit in face with a spent primer.
Old June 2, 2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Tom-R2

I have taken a fine file and beveled the end of the decapping pin a little. That took care of the problem.
Old June 2, 2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The large flash holes are 2 mm (0.787”). The small ones are 1.5 mm (0.0591”). If you measure a decapping pin with a caliper, it needs to be at least 0.001" under the size of the flash hole you intend to decap with it. It then also needs a taper or a radius on the tip so it will enter an off-center hole.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 2, 2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I use a Lee universal decapping die. It fits just about anything south of .50 BMG, and it has replaceable pins.
Old June 4, 2019, 10:03 PM   #6
Grey_Lion

I give all my 357 sig cases away as they DO stick in my franklin hand decapper..... I usually like to fully prep anything I trade to dump anything questionable before the trade. This is pretty much the only exception as I don't get many and the guy they all go to is a master craftsman in more crafts and skills than I'm ever likely to even try...... So not too concerned about his outcomes......

Tags
357 sig , flash hole , pin , small , speer