The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Garandman3

Speer TMJ Rifle bullets

Has anyone had any experience with Speer TMJ rifle bullets? They are produced in .308 and .224, my primary interest is in the .308. These are total metal jacket bullets which means they are plated. I am familiar with plated handgun bullets and like their performance and lower cost. Speer's TMJ rifle bullets are also economical but not sure how they perform at 308Win and 30-06 muzzle velocities.
Old May 21, 2019, 02:14 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...which means they are plated..." No, it doesn't. It means the entire lead core is in the jacket with no exposed lead at the base. You load 'em just like you would a regular FMJ. Match bullets they ain't though.
https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...llet/308150tmj
Old May 21, 2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Garandman3

The link provided did not describe how TMJ bullets are produced, neither confirming nor denying electroplating. This was excerpted from a 1911 forum: "TMJ bullets are electroplated with copper, whereas an FMJ has a copper jacket that has been mechanically drawn over a lead core. Usually, the FMJ has a much thicker jacket than the TMJ. CCI/Speer TMJ bullets, however, have a pretty thick, well-plated jacket. TMJ was developed as an inexpensive way to make a jacketed bullet." Have you used them?
Old May 21, 2019, 06:04 PM   #4
Dr. Pepper

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=1822566
Old May 21, 2019, 07:10 PM   #5
Garandman3

Dr. Pepper: Thanks for the link, this is the kind of info I was looking for. I don't much care if they are jacketed or plated as long as they can handle the velocity and perform well. That seems like a good forum also.