The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2012, 08:00 PM   #26
Smit

Good to see Customer Service handled the situation properly but should'nt have to send them back in the first place
Old October 13, 2012, 11:42 PM   #27
Eagleks

The one company I've heard more guns going back to the Mfgr over this year, over any other .... has been S&W's. There is no company that doesn't have issues with their guns and going back for repairs. So, It "is" important how well they handle them when it happens. Hopefully Taurus 'is' improving their CS. Competition will demand good CS.
Old October 13, 2012, 11:44 PM   #28
Budman1128

I have 2, a pt92 and a 24/7 compact g2. Absolutely love both. I know Taurus has had problems in the past, but I've not seen any with mine. Everybody's got their right to a personal opinion and I respect that. Mine is nothing but love for the brand. Looking forward to getting a Judge next.
Old October 14, 2012, 09:34 AM   #29
hounddawg

Only have 1 Taurus, a PT 1911, love that gun. It was less than half the price of my Kimber which is also a great gun BTW. I have found my PT1911 to be accurate, has a great trigger and has never had any feed or ejection issues wit over 5k rounds though it now. Mostly I shoot hand loaded SWC's with a ISDA power factor load in them.

Son in law bought one after shooting mine and he probably has about 2 or 3K rounds through his and still loves it.

Problem with the internet is the people that have a issue with a product tend to be very vocal while those who do not have any issues just go to the range and shoot em. I currently have at least a dozen different brand guns in my safe and all seem to be so predictable it is boring. Did the range officer thing at a GSSF match yesterday and while I consider Glocks to be extemely reliable pistols, the armorer had a steady flow of customers. We had close to 100 shooters come through my station and allowed several (4 maybe ? ) reshoots because of feed issues.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:18 AM   #30
AUG

Everyone I have ever known with a taurus handgun (except one guy with a 20 yr old pt99/beretta copy) has had problems with it if they put more than one box of ammo through it.

Every gun guy I know over 50 thinks the judge is the greatest thing on earth BUT every single one of them has had issues. Taurus has not paid shipping for them either.

The lifetime warranty is not worth a flip if you have to pay shipping.

The fact remains buying a taurus is a gamble at best. More importantly I WOULD NEVER TRUST MY LIFE TO A TAURUS.

Is anyone actually surprised that low end brazilian made elcheapo handguns have problems? I'm not.

Last edited by AUG; October 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 03:03 PM   #31
ritepath

I love my PT145...mainly because it's a 45. I just can't trust it to feed more than 3 or 4 rounds at a time before nosediving a round into the magazine.

I've been meaning to pull it out and give it another try, it's been in time-out since September of last year.
Old October 14, 2012, 03:12 PM   #32
LockedBreech

First, that's great customer service. Even as a huge Beretta fan, I can admit that their customer support experience is nails-on-a-chalkboard rough.

The thing is, though, that my Beretta has never needed to back. I was only calling customer service for a routine inquiry.

A well-honored, comprehensive warranty is nice. In most products, it's enough to sell me. But not when it comes to firearms. In a firearm I'm not concerned so much about customer service wait times, or shipping costs, or extras, or what case it comes in, or any of those tiny details.

99% of what goes through my head when evaluating any gun is: When I pull the trigger, in the unimaginable moment that I truly need it, will my gun work?

If I can't answer that question affirmatively, with confidence, I can't buy the brand. Taurus isn't there yet, at least for me.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:19 AM   #33
Skans

Quote:
I have never trashed taurus but I have not bought another firearm from them since I bought this one 30 years ago. This handgun has never had a malfunction since I have owned it.
That looks like the one I sold 30 years ago, after the locking block shattered into several pieces, gauging up the soft aluminum frame rails. The gun smith did get it running again - always wondered what happened to that gun..... (Don't worry, mine was the PT-99 with adjustable sights)
Old October 15, 2012, 09:18 AM   #34
TailGator

Quote:
Every gun guy I know over 50 thinks the judge is the greatest thing on earth
I am not sure who the Judge is marketed to, but I wouldn't have suspected it to be gun guys over 50. I am in that demographic, and it isn't on my list.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:32 AM   #35
ShipWreck

Well, if you are happy with your treatment and your guns, then that's all that counts.

On the other hand, I do not see myself changing my opinion of Taurus, and I will never buy another one.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:00 AM   #36
StainlessSteel215

Yeah OP, no offense but good customer service isnt half as good as having quality firearms. Kind of a thread backfire eh?

Now.....

That being said, I have VERY high expectations for my new PT809 as well and so far its run FLAWLESSLY with around 500 rounds through it. I am actually doing a 2k round challenge with the gun and documenting it along the way. I will put 2k rounds of mixed ammo though it with NO CLEANING and note its performance. In fact I just made a range video 2 weeks ago on it. Its on my channel in the link below....stay tuned for updates because Im going to work the HELL out of this gun. Not because I WANT to see it fail...but because if it can stand the test I will keep it as a reliable back-up gun for many years.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:38 AM   #37
RamItOne

Shot my friends Taurus 44 mag, I'll be nice, one out of 6 hit the side of the primer and did not fire (more closer to 2/6), however turning a lemon into lemonade have a random no fire gives you a very accurate demonstration of your trigger pull and flinch.
Old October 15, 2012, 02:06 PM   #38
Fishbed77

Quote:
I had a few issues with my 809 and my 738
That's not a promising start to a thread titled "For all the Taurus bashers out there. "

By comparison, I have never had a single issue with my any of my Walther, Colt, Ruger, or Kahr pistols.

Just saying.

On the other hand, I can't think of a Taurus I've fired that didn't have an issue. My brother-in-law's PT92 had issues where the decocker would "freeze" up if the gun wasn't perfectly clean and lubed. My old boss had a Taurus semi-auto (can't remember specific model #) that rusted to almost uselessness after riding for just 2 years in this work truck. A friend's Taurus .44 Mag revolver had cylinders machined so tight that you had to set the butt of the gun against a hard surface just to whack out the spent casings.

If you can't make a revolver that's reliable, that's indicative of some serious problems in my opinion.
Old October 15, 2012, 04:51 PM   #39
sho'nuff

me too

I also had a good experience with my customer service experience. They sent a fed-ex guy to my doorstep for warranty work on my tcp. Something that diamondback refused to do.
Old October 15, 2012, 05:32 PM   #40
rduckwor

Glad it worked out for a couple of you. It didn't for me and they now own that gun again. Never again.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:18 PM   #41
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have no problem with Taurus at all. I had a PT101 and it was twice the pistol my 92fs Beretta was. I really like their revolvers. I am a huge fan of the Raging Bull series. The way I look is you can get good and bad in any brand. I have never had an issue with one so they are one of the best buys for the money to me. While I don't care for the 24/7, it is only because of the styling. I am currently looking for a PT945. I love the style of that pistol.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 15, 2012, 06:34 PM   #42
ohiorobp

Ill chime in with my first post to this forum. While researching there seem to be times when production wasn't at its finest. But, I can say what I do know and that is the following.

I have shot a handful of Taurus pistols over the last few years and of the ones I have shot I liked a lot. I bought the one I liked the best and thats the 24/7 G29MM Compact. I have fired many of many of rounds through it without any issues. I hope it stays that way because its a nice pistol and my edc.

Anyway, thats all I know and wanted to share my Taurus story.

O, and hi all. Nice forum here I stumbled on to.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:23 PM   #43
highpower3006

I have only owned one Taurus handgun in my life, a PT111. I bought it about 20 years ago and I still have it. I really have no idea of how many rounds I have fired through it but it has been a bunch.

So far it has digested every type and power level of ammo I have put through it with out a single failure of any type. While I know that others have had their troubles with the brand, I can say that my Taurus has been 100%.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:37 PM   #44
RyanWeatherby

I only own the 627 .357 Mag from them, but I love it. The guys at my LGS have all talked about how much Taurus has really stepped up their game when it comes to their production quality in recent years.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:01 PM   #45
tahunua001

alright I'll add my .02 before this thread gets closed. I have never been a fan of taurus and used to bash on them all the time but I must have grown up at some point because the way I see it, if I am going to like a manufacturer they either have to put out a decent product that never breaks or stand behind those products if they break.

taurus fixed your wearing out guns on their dime in a reasonable amount of time, that kicks them up a notch in my book. at the end of the day I don't care what's stamped on the side of your gun,

they are all fun when they go BANG!
Old October 17, 2012, 02:01 AM   #46
warningshot

When it is the truth, is it still considered, 'bashing'?
Old October 17, 2012, 03:01 AM   #47
Bamashooter

I have yet to have any issues out of either my PT-145 or my .38spl+p. The .45 has at least 2000rds thru it. The .38 is extremely light and a great carry piece when you want to go light. I dont pay to much attention to all the gun counter commando wannabe's and there seems to be plenty of them around here. If you like Taurus like I do then buy and shoot them. Who cares what the gun snob dolts think.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:08 AM   #48
tahunua001

Quote:
When it is the truth, is it still considered, 'bashing'?
apparently yes if you're talking about Glocks.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:39 AM   #49
StainlessSteel215

I think for many anti-Taurus folks, they treat it like it's going back to an ex-wife or girlfriend. Some can not ever be friends with them again or give them the time of day lol.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:09 AM   #50
KMAX

OP: You didn't think this thread wasn't going to turn into a Taurus bash did you? Some people seem to look for the opportunity to bash Taurus. I am glad your experience with CS was satisfying. I have never had any experience with CS because I have never had a problem with any of my five Taurii other than ammo related issues. I am amazed at the people who will bash Taurus for a problem yet if it happens to a more expensive gun will say "Oops, that happens sometimes."

Aug: I take offense to the gun guy over 50 thinking the Judge is the greatest thing ever comment. I personally think they are silly novelties as do most of the other gun guys over 50 I know. I think any variation of them is almost as silly as plastic guns. Plastic is for water pistols IMO, although I own a Ruger P95 and LCP. Remember, this is only my opinion. It is worth what you paid for it.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!