The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 14, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1
kst8fan

Uberti Rifles

I have been eyeing these rifles for some time now and I must say they have to be some of the nicest looking lever actions on the market. I especially like the 1873 line. The 1873 short in 357 mag I would say is my favorite. The problem is I have not had the privilege of handling one of these rifles because no dealer in my area carries them. Problem #2 is they are expensive. Even though they seem to be of high quality, I hate to order one sight unseen. Anyone have any experience with these rifles? I'm not into cowboy action shooting, I'm just an avid gun collector looking to add a quality lever action to the collection. The rifle would see plenty of range time as well as a little hunting. Any info on Uberti rifles you could give me would be appreciated. Also how do they compare to the Japan made Winchesters?

Last edited by kst8fan; January 15, 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Deja vu

They are sure pretty rifles. I love the looks of a 73. The down side is that I hear they are not meant for shooting the hotter hunting loads. I dont know if this is true but that would disqualify them for me. When I hunt with my 357 magnum carbine I often load it with Buffalo Bore 158 grain bullets. Id rather not have the bolt take out my eye.

If I am wrong please correct me. I would love to own a 1873, In my opinion the Uberti 1873s are some of the best looking rifles I have ever seen!

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 14, 2013, 11:03 PM   #3
DnPRK

I've got a 24" rifle in 44-40 and a 20" carbine in 38-40. Both function nicely. I'm not sure I'd trust a toggle action to be durable with a high pressure load.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:44 PM   #4
kst8fan

I haven't head this about their actions and the hot hunting loads. I will definitely check into it. Thanks for the info.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The Uberti 1873 replicas are not intended for use with hot ammo. It might not harm them to shoot just a few rounds, but the design is simply not up to it.
The original design started with the Henry rifles of the early 1860's and goes as far back as the Volcanic rifles and pistols of the 1850's.

The Uberti 1873 rifles are magnificent very close replicas of the original Winchester rifles with the only real divergence being the striker assembly and the use of a coil spring and ball bearing to power the sliding receiver cover.
None of this can be seen from outside the rifle.
The new Japanese made Winchester 1873 has a striker assembly that's quite different and may have other differences from the original or the Uberti versions.

If you want an authentic Winchester type lever rifle you can shoot hotter ammo in, buy an 1892 type rifle. These are offered by several companies including the South American Rossi, one Italian company, and I think Winchester offers a Japanese made version.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Hammerhead

The toggle link design just doesn't have the strength of later designs like the 1892.
Handsome guns though. I shot one in .44 WCF. Very smooth action, effortless really. The top ejection was rather weak, but worked reliably. Good for the handloader, you don't have to look far for your brass.
With the elevator design 1866's and 1873's receivers are about three inches longer and heavier than more modern designs.
Also the elevator design requires cartridge length to be within a narrow window. No long SWC's or short .38's.
The Italian replicas have good reputations amongst the cowboy crowd.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Crunchy Frog

I have a Uberti '73 short rifle that I use for cowboy action.

Is the JM Browning-designed 1892 a stronger action than the toggle link 1873? No question.

Would I shoot full power (SAAMI spec) .357 magnum ammo in my Uberti '73? All day long and would not think twice about it.
Old January 19, 2013, 04:56 PM   #8
C7AR15

Not Uberi....

I was handling a Henry Big Boy rifle yesterday in the store.
It is a Lever action available in .357, .45Colt, 44 Mag
What a nice gun Brass/alloy receiver , Octagon BBL , Great stock
and.......Made in America (New Jersy)
The gun I handled was a .45Colt - I would have bought it in an instant if it
was .44Mag. Price $850 CDN

They are High quality in all aspects and they are accurate too.(so I was told)

Check them out, you won't be disappointed- even if you order it "Blind"
Old January 20, 2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Malamute

Quote:
...Id rather not have the bolt take out my eye...
Has any 73 bolt ever taken anyones eye out under any circumstances?

The Ubertis are very good rifles. The Miroku made Winchesters are outstanding rifles. The new 73 has the same half cock hammer as the originals, unlike some of the other models that had different actions, like rebounding hammers and tang safeties.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-