The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 2, 2011, 08:12 PM   #1
SouthTXCrackshot

Application to buy a firearm.

Does every gunshop call the same telephone number to the feds to confirm a gun transaction to a citizen? I believe its the NICS right? If so does every gunshop/gun dealer call the same number to verify that everything is okay and everything is good to go forward and let the individual buy the firearm? Thanks
Old August 2, 2011, 08:25 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
SouthTXCrackshot Does every gunshop call the same telephone number to the feds to confirm a gun transaction to a citizen? I believe its the NICS right? If so does every gunshop/gun dealer call the same number to verify that everything is okay and everything is good to go forward and let the individual buy the firearm? Thanks
Most states (inc. Texas) call the FBI NICS directly. Some states have their own "point of contact" rather than FBI NICS (such as their state police). Some states choose to do handguns through the state point of contact and long guns through the FBI NICS.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 2, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3
SouthTXCrackshot

okay kewl
Old August 2, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4
SurplusShooter

I now in New York (New York city excluded) they call the FBI directly.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:30 PM   #5
chasep255

In NJ you go through the state police for everything and they get to charge $15 + Tax.
Old August 3, 2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

In Oregon the state police have a special division to handle background checks.

For this stupidity we get the privileged of paying a $10 transfer tax. They call it a fee so it's not regulated like a tax. When the tried to triple the cost here recently, the state legislature started debating a bill to abolish it and let the feds handle it. After that they backed off on the increase of the transfer tax.

On the west coast, Oregon is the most gun friendly but not nearly as good as Idaho...

Tony
Old August 3, 2011, 07:31 PM   #7
SouthTXCrackshot

I have a friend that got denied the sale of a "long gun" while his felony was pending and a dwi also pending and he got both dismissed,so he went back two years later tried to buy again and they sold the rifle to him. I was accepted,its funny how the system works. He bought a remington 700 .270 and he is shooting 2 inch groups at 200 yards at his range also he has a gun rest but he is kind of shaky too. I guess certain charges have to get dismissed first? idk , Thanks folks!