The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 24, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Rj1972

The CCW pull over

I was recently pulled over (about 2 days after reading more than my fair share of the Ohio PD incident). It was the first time I had my CCW, and ironically I was coming home from the range. Because of that I actually had my weapon(s) in the trunk.

After the standard "hands on the wheel, both licenses out & ready, appropriate use of yes sir, etc...", the Lieutenant asks me if I have my weapon and I reply "yes, but it's in the trunk". He politely informs me that if everything checks out with my license I'll be receiving a verbal warning for failure to yield. He comes back and everything's fine. He was very professional and I expected him to be as I've always thought this police department as a whole is one of the best that I've ever dealt with.

But between the stop and the Ohio incident it did get me thinking (and caused me to have a conversation with my wife as to what MAY happen).

When an officer pulls you over and you do have your weapon concealed on you, what USUALLY happens? I expect it will either be the officer telling me to just keep my hands on the wheel and not to fiddle with the weapon while he checks out my information. I also expect that it COULD be he asks me to get out of the car, checks the weapon for his safety and any number of things. To be honest, I don't have a problem with just about anything that could happen there, as I want the officer to be as comfortable as he can be (going with the 2 guys super nervous with guns never works well plan).

I did inform my wife that worst case scenario could be I get put in handcuffs while he removes my weapon, sits me down on the curb/street/whatever, and checks my information. Surprisingly I'm still pretty ok with that, I just wonder what the norm is. I can't imagine they'd all go as wonderful as this, but then I do live in Texas, where I believe the average officer would think of the CHL holder as one of the good guys.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Carry_24/7

In Florida, if you are not a threat, if you are licensed for CC via the state of Florida (also where the officer gets their authority), theres generally no concern, nor have I heard of any.

For the officer that "goes off the reservation" and lets their personal concern about licensed CC negatively impact their interaction with the public; thats what formal complaint processes at the police station and civil court are for.

Just survive the encounter and go after them later. Eventually, they will get the picture.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:43 PM   #3
armsmaster270

If the officer is aware you are CCW he can remove the weapon for his safety and return it after the stop. Personally I have never removed a CCW from anyone, I never felt the need to.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Rj1972

Quote:
If the officer is aware you are CCW he can remove the weapon for his safety and return it after the stop. Personally I have never removed a CCW from anyone, I never felt the need to.
So you simply ask where the weapon is (I assume they reply "right hand pocket" or "IWB 4:00" or something) but leave them in the car? Obviously this wouldn't be the time to take the hands off the wheel and say "it's right here" while you pat your waistband...
Old July 24, 2011, 04:06 PM   #5
BarryLee

In Georgia it is my understanding that you do not have to notify the Officer that you have a handgun. The only time I have had any interaction since I got my Firearms License was at a roadblock and I simply showed my Driver’s License and they waved me through.

Now, I have thought about the best way to proceed if an Officer were to stop me. I suppose I would simply hand them my Driver’s and Firearms Licenses simultaneously and follow their lead. I know I am not required, but it seems like the best course of action.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 24, 2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Webleymkv

Indiana has no requirement to notify if pulled over while carrying. I've been pulled over three times while carrying and have only ever mentioned the fact once. The first two times were by city police (Columbus and Greenwood) for speeding and failure to fully stop before turning at a red light. I did not mention my weapon nor did the officer ask about any weapons in the vehicle either time and the traffic stop proceeded uneventfully (I recieved a warning both times).

The third time was by an Indiana State Trooper for a seatbelt violation. He outright asked me if I had any firearms in the car to which I replied yes. He asked me where it was and I informed him that it was under the seat. He told me to give him the gun and my LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun) along with my driver's license and registration. I gave him the required documents along with my handgun which was contained in a closed soft case. Without opening the case, he asked me if there was a round in the chamber to which I replied that the gun was a revolver and that it was indeed loaded. The officer took everything I'd given him back to his car and returned a few minutes later with the documents, my still-loaded revolver, and a ticket for the seatbelt violation. Besides the afforementioned questions and commands, neither I nor the state trooper made any other mention of my revolver.

My personal policy is that I don't mention a weapon unless I am asked or have reason to believe that it may become an issue. There is typically little chance for the officer to see my handgun unless he asks for it as I always carry concealed rather than openly and I almost always have my driver's license, registration, and insurance card in hand by the time the officer reaches my window.
Old July 24, 2011, 05:12 PM   #7
shortwave

I live in Ohio and have had my ccp since its been legal to have(6-7yrs,can't remember exactly).

I've been pulled over three times and have never been treated with anything but respect.

I can assure you, in the State of Ohio, the treatment you saw on the vid. that happened in Canton IS NOT the norm.

Please don't think all the cops in Ohio are like this idiot and I strongly feel there will be an opening in the Canton PD. Shortly I hope.

When pulled over, have your ID, proof of ins. and CCP out and hands in plain view. Most LEO's I know prefer you to have both hands out the window so they can see them as they approach. Inform LEO immediately that you have your weapon BUT DON'T MOVE FOR IT.

The LEO will instruct you what to do from there.

I've not had an LEO take my gun or even get me out of the car but wouldn't bother me if they did. After all, I'm the one that has screwed up, the LEO doesn't know me from Adam and he wants to go home just like I do.

Making a cops job as easy as you can and treating him/her with respect may just get you a warning instead of a $100 ticket.
Old July 24, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
scpapa

I'm a cop and the time I got pulled over, I left my hands on the wheel. He asked for my DL and insurance card. I told the officer "I am an LEO and am wearing my weapon, how do you want me to proceed?"
This what I would like the people I stop to do.

scpapa
Old July 24, 2011, 09:26 PM   #9
JimPage

Every officer I've asked about traffic stops has told me he prefers that the driver not be rummaging around for things before he arrives at your window. Just keep your paws on the steering wheel until he asks for license, registration, whatever. If carrying or pistol in vehicle I would tell him before I look for license, etc. Make it easy for him.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:53 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

I used to drive fast and got pulled over a time or two. I also have had a few friends in LE. Here's my recipe for a polite and uncomplicated stop.
  • First of all, don't store your firearm where you'll have to reach towards it or past it to get something you'll likely need in a traffic stop. If you have your insurance/registration in the glove box then that's not a good place to put your handgun.
  • Pull over fairly quickly but don't be stupid about it. As soon as you notice the officer begin signalling to pull over so they'll know you've seen them and then find a good place to stop. Pull as far off the road as you can safely.
  • When you get stopped, roll down the window, turn off the car, and put the keys and your wallet on the dash.
  • If it's at night, turn on the inside light and leave the parking lights on.
  • Sit still with your hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to approach the vehicle. As JimPage notes, it is a bad idea to start rummaging around in the car. The officer is watching you and will get nervous if you start moving around a lot. You're better off absolutely minimizing your activity until he comes to the door or gives you instructions.
  • Stay in your vehicle with your door closed unless instructed otherwise and do not remove your seatbelt.
  • When the officer comes to the window, be polite, and let him run the stop.
  • When he asks for something, tell him where it is and then ask him if it's all right to retrieve it. e.g. "The proof of insurance is in the glove box. Shall I get it now?"
  • If the officer asked me to hand him my firearm or asked me to get it for him, I would tell him where it is and then say that I'm not comfortable handling it in his presence nor in handing it to him given that I don't know his familiarity with it. I would ask him if it's ok for me to sit in his vehicle while he retrieves it. If I were wearing it and he requested me to give it to him I would ask him how he wanted me to handle the situation. If given the option, I would draw it slowly and then set it on the seat and then accompany him to his vehicle to finish the stop. Fortunately I have never had to deal with this situation as I've never been disarmed during a traffic stop.
  • If you leave your car, make sure the doors are unlocked since you left the keys on the dash.
  • When you pull out, be sure to check for traffic and obey all traffic regs. No sense in getting another ticket or having a wreck because you're flustered or upset.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:39 PM   #11
2damnold4this

I got pulled over today by the University of Georgia Police on College Station Rd for doing 50 in a 35 MPH zone. I pulled over in the first safe parking lot I could, put the truck in park, rolled down my window and waited with both hands on the wheel. A young officer approached me while another waited outside the passenger side of the police car. After he greeted me, I told him I had a permit and was carrying a firearm on my right hip. I did this even though we aren't required to notify in Georgia. He thanked me for telling him and said that if I didn't pull my gun, he wouldn't pull his. He asked for my license and permit and I told him I'd have to reach past the gun to get them. He said ok and I retrieved my wallet and gave him the cards. He glanced at my permit, handed it back and thanked me again for telling him. He then went back to his vehicle and after a few minutes, returned with my license, asked me to pay more attention to my speed and told my to have a nice day.

I think things would have been better if I hadn't had to reach past the pistol to get my wallet but the officer handled things in stride.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:46 PM   #12
egor20

Quote:
I think things would have been better if I hadn't had to reach past the pistol to get my wallet but the officer handled things in stride.
I always wear shirts with pockets, so I just put my DL and permit in the left breast pocket when I get in the truck.

I've only been pulled over once (broken tail light) and handed both to the Sheriff. He didn't ask where the gun was, just to kindly leave my hands on the wheel. He ran the DL came back asked me to get the tail light fixed, gave me both back and then we talked guns for about 15 minutes.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old July 25, 2011, 12:11 AM   #13
maestro pistolero

When I have been pulled over, I have had the wallet out before I am even stopped. In Vegas the 3 times in 10 years i have been stopped, they have never batted an eye. My CCW has never been an issue for them.
Old July 25, 2011, 08:02 AM   #14
Don P

I do not drive with me wallet in me pants pocket. For me it tilts the old pelvic area and cause's problems with me back. Found this out many years ago the hard and painful way. Good to let them know for everyones safety involved
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 25, 2011, 02:09 PM   #15
mrray13

As an LEO in Illinois, I can honestly say some of, if not all of, my best traffic stop conversations have been with out of state CCW holders. After explaining Illinois law, and having them secure the weapon in a legal, Illinois manner, talking firearms just comes naturally.

As a note, none of them ever, or will ever, receive a citation for excersizing their rtc, although a few have received citations for the reason of the traffic stop.

I've also got to say that I've seen some very nice CCW firearm!
Old July 25, 2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Rj1972

thanks!

Great. I thought I was doing everything fairly correctly, I just wondered what others experiences are with the officer regarding being pulled out or just being asked not to jack with it. Sounds like the majority of the time I should expect to be asked not to mess with it or at least implied not to do so. Again I definitely don't have any problem being pulled out & being informed to do whatever (as I'd rather the officer feel as comfortable/safe as possible) but it sounds like this would be an unusual exception.
Old July 25, 2011, 05:59 PM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
When an officer pulls you over and you do have your weapon concealed on you, what USUALLY happens?
Usually, nothing. I inform, though it's not required. Officers seem to appreciate the courtesy.

That said, the worst thing I'm likely to get pulled over for is speeding or a broken piece of equipment, so I'm hardly giving them reason to be nervous.

The Ohio situation is certainly an anomaly, and the chances of a normal person encountering behavior like that are astronomically small.