The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Grey_Lion

Want your thoughts on favorite powder coat media

I'll be going into powder coating cast rounds later this year and want the wealth of experience of this group.

My research tells me to stay away from Harbor Freight white as it doesn't give a good single coat finish.

What powder coat media do you like & why?
Old May 28, 2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Moved to cast bullet forum…
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 28, 2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Rottweiler

Harbor Freight's red and yellow both work just fine. When mixed close to 50-50 they make an orange that is very close to UT burnt orange. Found that out by accident.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:41 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

Eastwoods is the best combo of easy to buy with good results.

However, Smoke over at cast bullet forum has a handful of colors, all that work very well. Not the easiest to buy but its just a couple emails to purchase.

I recommend Res's plastic bead method. Pony beads in a tuperware, makes excellent coverage.
Old May 29, 2018, 06:51 PM   #5
res45

Of the powders I've used that work best with no fuss I like Smokes Signal Blue or Carolina Blue, Yellow/Green or the Super Durable Clear which just plain works every time. Smoke will sell you a single lb. of one color or split a lb. into 3 one third lb. bags of 3 different colors if you want a variety.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raying-bullets

I've also used a few of the Eastwood powders, the ones I have used and like are Med. Green, Ford Light or Dark Blue, Maroon Red and Lime Green.

https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-pow...g/powders.html

Below are four colors using the same Lee 185 gr. RN bullet L to R are Smokes Clear, Eastwood Med. Green, Smokes Carolina Blue and Eastwood Maroon Red.

When I first started powder coating bullets I used the HF Red and Yellow with OK results, for me it sprayed on much better than shake and bake. I also tried the white but it didn't work at all. I use it on occasion to add a little speckle to some dark OD Green powder I have. HF powders are epoxy based and a bit courser ground while the other powders are polymer based and are more highly refined.

The powders that I use have pigments that flow well with the base material while curing so they fill in most of the small voids and if properly done the coating is much thinner and make applying gas checks much easier. That's just my 2 cents.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:07 AM   #6
Beagle333

I like HF red, but only if sprayed. If I try to tumble it, I have to do two coats.
Any of Smoke's powders are great. The blues seem to be the most forgiving.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 1, 2018, 10:45 AM   #7
totalloser

Now that I've gone "pro" the first rule of fight club seems to pertain.

But at the risk of being flayed, I'm using nailhead fixtures. Though my method for determination is less than scientific, I think HF red/yellow might be better than HF red alone. Red is easier to get a good coat, but red/yellow seems IME to do better with the "smash test".

Still doing it this way. Works really well. Maybe not quite as fast as tumble processes, but so so pretty. Click image link in my first post.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...6&d=1393880418
Old June 2, 2018, 07:29 AM   #8
Grey_Lion

my inclination is to start slow so most likely I'll get some HF red & yellow to make orange the first time I step into this new territory.

Thanks for the feedback all - I'll give this a try this winter when it's not 125 degrees in my garage.