The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2017, 12:38 AM   #51
TruthTellers

The one thing I'll say is that fads often don't last. This Shockwave is in the same position the Judge and the KSG once were.

Don't overpay for something that's not worth it.
Old March 24, 2017, 02:58 AM   #52
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The one thing I'll say is that fads often don't last. This Shockwave is in the same position the Judge and the KSG once were.

Don't overpay for something that's not worth it.
Being mass-marketed might be a "fad" but the Title 1 firearm 'short shotgun' is not. People have been modifying "PGO" shotguns to non-shotgun Title 1 status for many years.

It isn't a Judge by any means. The Judge still sells, and was a product meant to introduce a new 'niche' to the market; while the Tile 1 'short shotgun' is a niche that already exists and Mossberg is trying to take advantage of.
And, unless Mossberg screws the pooch with production numbers, it won't be a KSG, either. The KSG is still in high demand -- Kel-Tec just doesn't produce enough of them.
Old March 24, 2017, 03:50 AM   #53
Venom1956

Mine arrives tomorrow. Im gonna go get it before work. Just so i csn post pictures make u all jealous.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 24, 2017, 08:15 AM   #54
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Thanks Uncle Malice. I meant you no harm.

I am just miffed that Buds hasn't sent any out yet. Reports are streaming in of guys getting them from elsewhere. It's been two months since I put my reserve order in on Buds. It's getting annoying.
Quote:
UPDATE: Just called Buds. They said they had an order in for at least 1000 of these guns and so far have only got a couple hundred from Mossberg. These things are FLYING off the shelf. The representative said he plans to buy one in the near future after the initial orders are filled. Hopefully they receive another batch soon, I still have my place in line for one. I am STOKED.

About using it for defense, I did some research and it appears Ian might not be as experienced at shooting this style of shotgun as I originally thought. He even mentions something to that effect in the video. I want to formally apologize to Uncle Malice for acting like a know it all. I fully believe you to probably be a better determination of the defensive use of a pistol grip only shotgun than him.
No hard feelings here man. Hope you get it quick!
Old March 24, 2017, 10:04 AM   #55
Targa

Nice 87samurai, I can't help but like it!!! I would also like to try some short shells out in my 500, just haven't found any.
Old March 24, 2017, 11:07 AM   #56
Venom1956

^ ditto on short shells I cant find any either
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 24, 2017, 11:22 AM   #57
87samurai

I've been stockpiling some for a while. I googled "Aguila minishot shells" and found some for about $20 a box of 20. The laser setup did great this morning-allowed me to shoot from the waist-center mass at 20' with both the buckshot and slugs. Not sure on the longevity of this laser mounted this way-will experiment with other lasers next week.
Old March 24, 2017, 11:59 AM   #58
Model12Win

Putting a laser on this seems like a great idea to increase hit probability.

I bought an OpSol mini-clip and several boxes of Aguila mini-shells last night in anticipation for my shotgun. If I can practice getting good hits out to 10-15 yards or so (the longest distance in my house) I might even consider using this for home defense.
Old March 24, 2017, 03:24 PM   #59
Uncle Malice

I have considered adding a laser as well, just haven't found a good way to mount one. I supposed adding a pic rail to the top and just going that route would be best. I considered a red dot with higher mount as well, but too much variability in sight picture, dot acquisition would take too long.

I'd like to do a pressure switch activated laser on the fore end or something. Would be easy if the Magpul version would fit.... maybe Magpul will drop a 6.5" front end for this version.
Old March 24, 2017, 04:51 PM   #60
Venom1956

Got mine. Its very fun and reasonable to point one handed. I think stippling the grip installing a swivel on it will make it insanely packable.

I am gonna have to check out Forends aswell or just remove the strap on this one.

I will say many people handled mine and you could totally see them enjoying themselves. Sure its impractical but everyone was all smiles.
Old March 24, 2017, 06:58 PM   #61
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I am gonna have to check out Forends aswell or just remove the strap on this one.
There is very little available for fore ends in the short package.... but to be fair, you probably want to keep that strap. It makes it really nice for keeping a solid purchase on. Your arms will move more than normal during recoil.

At least give it a hundred rounds or so before you decide to take the strap off. For safety.
Old March 24, 2017, 08:15 PM   #62
Model12Win

Curse you Buds!! CURSE YOU!!!

I'm seeing EVERYONE EVERYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD has theirs now except me!!!

Just kidding of course, but it sure seems that way, dammit. I can't wait to get it!!!
Old March 25, 2017, 12:28 AM   #63
TruthTellers

Quote:
^ ditto on short shells I cant find any either
There's only one internet store that I've found that sells them, along with a lot of other Aguila ammo.

It's called ammofast.com and while they're out of them now, they will have them again in the future. Check them daily and eventually you'll find some.

They'll cost $1 a shot. I would encourage you to make your own short shells via reloading.
Old March 25, 2017, 10:14 PM   #64
Venom1956

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9iYvyffAh4

This is pretty much the reason i got my shockwave. All I was thinking about was his 'gun counter guy' impression
Old March 25, 2017, 10:38 PM   #65
Model12Win

It's got a good spread!
Old March 26, 2017, 12:20 AM   #66
Black_Sheep

The counter guy at the gun shop tried talking me out of buying a Shockwave. Apparently a pistol grip shotgun is no good for self defense and shooting one will break your wrist. I told him to write it up and take my money....

Old March 26, 2017, 01:10 PM   #67
Model12Win

I'm SO jealous!! Seems that the smaller gun shops are the ones who got all the Shockwaves.

BUDS ignorant ass on the other hand got like two and has about a million on backorder, of course I'm SUPPOSED (who knows?) to be in line for one but at this point I've given up all hope.
Old March 26, 2017, 09:08 PM   #68
drobs

Note to self - don't bring a Mossberg Shockwave to Utah.
Old March 26, 2017, 09:21 PM   #69
Targa

Don't lose heart Model12, my one complaint about Buds is how slow they are. With that said, I believe it is because they are so popular, every firearm I have ordered from them (4 now) has taken quite a while. I imagine something as popular as the Shockwave will take a bit longer. Big picture though, it is just costing you a bit of time but I bet it will be more than worth it when that little gem is in your hands blowing stuff up at the range.
Old March 26, 2017, 09:59 PM   #70
Model12Win

Quote:
Don't lose heart Model12, my one complaint about Buds is how slow they are. With that said, I believe it is because they are so popular, every firearm I have ordered from them (4 now) has taken quite a while. I imagine something as popular as the Shockwave will take a bit longer. Big picture though, it is just costing you a bit of time but I bet it will be more than worth it when that little gem is in your hands blowing stuff up at the range.
Thanks, Targa.

At least I paid a good price on it. I can wait a little bit longer with losing my mind I suppose! Just SO HARD to go on when I see people like BLACK SHEEP ( ) rubbing it in!!!
Old March 26, 2017, 10:22 PM   #71
Black_Sheep

Not trying to rub it in Model12Win, I was fully expecting to order one and wait for it, just like everybody else. When I stopped at the gun shop to find out how much one would cost there was a Shockwave hanging on the wall behind the counter. Buds initial price was cheaper but after shipping and a transfer fee it would have been a wash. I even slept on it for a couple days before going back to fork over the cash, with the level of demand it was somewhat surprising that it was still there...
Old March 26, 2017, 11:36 PM   #72
Venom1956

I beat buds price =D not rubbing it in

But seriously how cool would it be having the raptor grip in wood? And a wood forend?

I just wrapped my grip with hockey tape. Huge improvement over the slickness of the factory. I'll stipple mine eventually but honestly the tape just looks fitting.

Malice what forends do fit on the short style pump?

Last edited by Venom1956; March 27, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old March 27, 2017, 05:01 PM   #73
Model12Win

Quote:
I just wrapped my grip with hockey tape. Huge improvement over the slickness of the factory. I'll stipple mine eventually but honestly the tape just looks fitting.
Very cool, that sounds like it looks really cool. Care to post a pick?
Old March 27, 2017, 08:21 PM   #74
Venom1956

It took alot of chopping on that Magpul Fore end. But I got it attached!

Here I taped up the fore end a bit for you.

Last edited by Venom1956; March 27, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old March 27, 2017, 10:14 PM   #75
Model12Win

Looks awesome!! Cannot wait to get mine!!