The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 12:09 PM   #1
MrSharp

Concealed carry & Open carry & ??????? carry

You have concealed carry and open carry, but isn't there an option kind of in the middle. Where the firearm might not be 100% concealed but it's also not 100% in the open.

Is there a term for having your firearm not concealed but not completely in the open?
Old May 15, 2015, 12:18 PM   #2
rickyrick

I'd call it exposure of a concealed weapon.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:32 PM   #3
OldMarksman
Staff

MrSharp, what do you mean by "100% in the open"?
Old May 15, 2015, 12:38 PM   #4
claydoctor

The term is "careless" .
Old May 15, 2015, 12:39 PM   #5
2ndsojourn

I never heard of any third option. It's either concealed, totally, or it's open where it can be seen that you're carrying a gun. Just because an open carry may be partially concealed by a holster, it's obvious to a reasonable person that you're carrying a gun. And just because one may inadvertently partially reveal a normally concealed firearm, doesn't make it an 'in-between' or open carry.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Bob Wright

As far as terms of carry, it is either concealed or open carry.

Having said that, I live in Tennessee where open carry is legal, but choose to sort of cover my gun leaving the holster partially exposed. This gives me the advantage of avoiding curious questions from folks around me. also there is no certainty that I do in fact have a gun under there, cell phone or some other device. Also a little less noticible.

But, to answer your question, there is no middle ground.

Bob Wright
Old May 15, 2015, 03:35 PM   #7
BigMikey76

Your state laws may vary, but Nebraska state law defines concealed carry as having absolutely no part of the gun visible. If there is any part of it visible, even if it is not easily identifiable as a gun, it is being carried openly, according to Nebraska state law.
Old May 15, 2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If any part of the firearm can be seen, it's not concealed. There is no category or classification for "partially concealed" or "partially open," so if it's not concealed you are open carrying.
Old May 15, 2015, 05:46 PM   #9
KyJim

I normally carry concealed but occasionally carry like how I think Bob Wright does. I may carry in an OWB holster and with a short jacket that may not cover the entire holster. I sometimes carry like this when I don't plan on going anywhere public except maybe to stop and get gasoline or a cup of coffee. It doesn't scream GUN and most will never see it even if looking at it. But if someone does, no big deal. Open carry is legal here and I have a CCL.
Old May 15, 2015, 06:24 PM   #10
Hamsterdam

wild west here....

Welp, on July 1 this year, here in Beautiful kansas, Conceal carry is open to anyone, permit, training or not. This causes me to assume that every idiot stumbling around the street is as likely to be packing as anyone.

i don't disagree with the Law in its entirety, and my only concern about any increase in violence is due to ignorance and/or stupidity. i don't see an uptick in evil violence due to the law, but of course that possibility always exists.

It will save the cost of the annual fee, and it will have no effect at all on people that legally carry, or illegally carry. The only ones that worry me are those who are waiting for that date, so they can arm-up...and these are stupid people i speak of...in a town of 4,500, i know 95% of the ones that could cause real mayhem out of their Meth addled minds, and outright idiocy.

Well, i am prepared.

Be Well,
—h
Old May 15, 2015, 06:33 PM   #11
dayman

You mean like, own holster, but under a jacket?
I suppose it's concealed carry when the jacket is buttoned and open carry when the jacket's open.
It's my winter carry option, but I have a cc permit, and my state shows open carry.
Old May 15, 2015, 08:07 PM   #12
ritepath

Don't forget the "virginia tuck"
Old May 15, 2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Bongo Boy

I've heard that in Douglas County here in Colorado, the term would be 'here's your citation for disturbing the peace, and you can pick your weapon up at the Sheriff's office at the end of the day".

Here in El Paso county, I think someone might say 'make up you mind', but little else. I'm not going to test that, though.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; May 15, 2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 09:45 PM   #14
Limnophile

My CZ 82 came with a military flap holster. I've never carried it, other than in the glovebox of my car, but the gun is not visible when inside the closed holster. In my state open carry is kosher, and I have a CPL, so if I were to carry my 82 in its holster on my belt, shirt tucked in, no jacket, am I carrying openly, because the holster is showing, or am I carrying concealed, because the gun is concealed inside the exposed holster?

If I remove the gun from the holster and use it as a first-aid kit, would I be violating any law anywhere by openly carrying the resulting first-aid kit on my belt?
Old May 15, 2015, 10:04 PM   #15
g20gunny

its called constitutional carry and it just passed here in Kansas.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington
Old May 15, 2015, 10:21 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Moving to Tactics & Training
Old May 15, 2015, 11:19 PM   #17
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSharp
...Is there a term for having your firearm not concealed but not completely in the open?
No, there is no term for that.

There are really two dimensions to the question: (1) social; and (2) legal.

I. Social Issues.

The social issues with concealed and open carry revolve around the reaction of onlookers to the fact that you are obviously carrying a gun. In some places, it's not an issue. In other places various member of the public will find the fact that you're obviously armed to be very disturbing. (Whether or not that matters to you is another question.) And there is the theory that being obviously armed is a deterrent to criminals.

In any case, if the gun is only partially concealed the fact that you are armed will be apparent to at least some others and probably have the same social impact, if any, as a gun that is not concealed at all.

Legal Issues

Where open carry and concealed carry are both legal without any permit, partial concealment probably won't matter one way or another.

Where open carry and/or concealed carry is legal with a permit, and if you have the appropriate permit, partial concealment probably won't matter one way or another.

Where open carry is legal without a permit, concealed carry is legal with a permit, and if you don't have the appropriate permit, you will now need to do some serious legal research. It's possible that statutes or court decisions in the jurisdiction have clarified whether or to what extent partial concealment is either open carry or concealed carry. If those statutes or court decisions have defined your partial concealment to be open carry, you're fine. If those statutes or court decisions have defined your partial concealment to be concealed carry, since you lack the necessary permit you're violating the law. And if there are no statutes of court decisions clarifying the matter, it's a crap shoot.

Sometimes things can get complicated. For example, in Arizona, someone with a permit may carry concealed in a place which serves alcohol as long as it's not posted and he doesn't drink. But while open carry is generally legal in Arizona, open carry in a place serving alcohol is not. If your partial concealment is considered open carry, you need to stay out of places which serve alcohol.

Another wrinkle, in some States in which open carry is not legal but concealed carry is the law specifically provides brief, accidental exposure of a concealed gun is okay. I doubt that would apply to a gun which is being carried partially or poorly concealed.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 16, 2015, 12:48 PM   #18
rickyrick

Unless open carry is your only option, I'd just conceal it.

Open carry makes people uncomfortable in most locations. Many open carriers don't care, but it does no good.

I don't like seeing someone open carrying at the buffet with both arms full of plates of food. Anyone can snatch it.
Old May 16, 2015, 01:21 PM   #19
Bultaco

People are either aware of the fact that you have a handgun or they are not.
If open carry is legal you can do either. Concealed carry is required then fully conceal it. I guess in an open carry state you could do sloppy concealed carry but what is the point of that?
Old May 16, 2015, 05:26 PM   #20
FireForged

Conceal a gun or dont conceal a gun but thats about as far as I go with trying to qualify a method of carry. There are far to many instances of the word hybrid or modified being applied to the issues that are just not worth overthinking. Each person will likely decide what lawful mode of carry affords them the best options to stay safe and then go with that.
Old May 16, 2015, 07:12 PM   #21
Pahoo

It's open carry (FLASHING)

Quote:
Your state laws may vary, but Nebraska state law defines concealed carry as having absolutely no part of the gun visible.
Pretty much the same for Iowa except that we do have Open-Carry and what the OP has described, falls under the open carry law. .....

Iowa has had open carry for many years and when you look at it, it's really more for the convenience of the of the LEO's. Let's say a fella has a loose shirt that has mostly been covering his handgun. The wind blows his shirt open. A citizen or Liberal, will contact the police. Most of the time, the police won't respond to this "Nuisance" call because it was in the open carry condition and that is legal. Even if this happened in a bar, It's legal until he has gone over the legal limit. ......

I refer to it as "Flashing" but that is not a legal term. Open carry is .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 19, 2015, 09:08 AM   #22
Ashikabi

The cops in Sioux Falls SD told me that if the weapon is partially concealed in any way(i didn't ask but I assume this excludes the holster) then it is considered concealed. At the time I was open carrying but my jacket was over my gun kind of. This was then concealed carry
Old May 19, 2015, 10:01 PM   #23
Deaf Smith

It's called flashing.

When your gun is sort of concealed but the jacket flaps open in the wind.

It's a stupid thing to do as you lose your element of surprise (the concealed gun) yet your drawing speed is not helped (as would a open carry gun.)

I'd OC only when I'm hunting, hiking, or fishing (where legal.) Otherwise I'd keep it concealed.

Deaf
Old May 19, 2015, 10:04 PM   #24
Frank Ettin
Staff

Let's call it a day before we start the usual open carry vs. concealed carry debate.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread