The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 11, 2015, 07:38 PM   #1
zoomie

Louisville CCDW classes?

Anyone have a recommendation for a Louisville CCDW class? I'm sure they're all similar, but some first hand experiences would be nice before I schedule.
Old March 11, 2015, 08:17 PM   #2
ninjarealist

As a fellow Louisvillian...I would also be interested to know. There are a lot of places that offer CCDW classes but what types of experiences has anyone had at them?
Old March 11, 2015, 09:24 PM   #3
WVsig

They are all the same. State mandated curriculum with state supplied videos. Written test you should be able to pass without ever taking the course. 20 round live fire test into a man sized target at 7 yards. You have get your 50% of your rounds on target, head arms and hands count, IIRC.

Honestly it is nothing more than a tax on gun owners who want to carry. Take the cheapest one you can find and then spend $$$ on real training.

I am sure some instructors are better than other but the state constrains what they are allowed to teach and what topics are allowed to be discussed.
Old March 11, 2015, 10:23 PM   #4
chris in va

Classes all the time at Knob Creek.

Quote:
Honestly it is nothing more than a tax on gun owners who want to carry. Take the cheapest one you can find and then spend $$$ on real training.
I beg to differ. One reason why KY has so much reciprocity with other states is the lengthy discussion on local and intrastate laws. I feel every person wanting to carry a firearm on their person in public needs this information.
Old March 12, 2015, 06:03 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
I beg to differ. One reason why KY has so much reciprocity with other states is the lengthy discussion on local and intrastate laws. I feel every person wanting to carry a firearm on their person in public needs this information.
Most of this info comes directly from the state provided video which is basically KY states attorneys reading the code. The info is important but it does not have to come from state mandated course where the state gets a big chuck of the $$$ you pay to take the class. IIRC $30-$35 of the total cost of the class goes to the state for the required videos, test and handouts. Considering that the avg class is $70 give or take I consider it a tax. YMMV

KY does not have higher reciprocity than other states like VA, AZ, FL, WV etc....
Old March 31, 2015, 10:56 PM   #6
michael t

I know a trainer in outside of Harrodsburg . He teaches at his home and test in back yard If nice sit on patio ad clean when done. I got mine from him as did my daughter.
Old April 1, 2015, 04:46 AM   #7
riverratt

A place just down the road from GE called TG&G (training guns and gear I think) offers the course as well. It has a small classroom that gets very crowded but they are wonderful people there. They also offer many other training courses there, from women on target (a basic 101 on shooting) to advanced tactical training. Also has a good smith there if ya ever need one.