The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 20, 2020, 11:46 AM   #51
CDW4ME

Of the handguns you own, what would you carry in the "bad" part of town, or an area of greater anticipated threat?
Strive to carry that everywhere, anywhere, anytime.
Because "bad" people are mobile and not completely nocturnal.
Old December 20, 2020, 12:23 PM   #52
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Of the handguns you own, what would you carry in the "bad" part of town, or an area of greater anticipated threat?
then why not "strive to carry" an AR pistol?
Old December 20, 2020, 08:33 PM   #53
FireForged

Quote:

Handguns are very minimalistic weapons but there are still circumstances where carrying a full size semi auto and reload is not practicable. That being said, it only makes sense to considering an honest assessment of risk and go from there. There are reasons that profiles, risk assessments, crime statistics and threat levels exist. Sure, anything can happen anywhere and anytime ( we get it), but carrying weapons is already a pain in the rear and I am simply not going to carry a 4.5" 19 round XDM everywhere I go. Sometimes is going to be a Ruger 380 LCP in the front pocket. I will stick with a thoughtful consideration of risk.

I will construct a plan to mitigate danger based on what I deem to be the most likely type and style of threat within my particular landscape. I accept that I might be wrong and if so, thats on me.
Old December 20, 2020, 10:12 PM   #54
JohnKSa
Staff

I think we all make some level of concession to convenience when we choose a carry gun.

The important thing is that we understand what those concessions mean in terms of capability.

There's a strong tendency for people to rationalize, and that can result in unrealistic expectations of the capability of the system composed of us, our carry method, our carry gun and carry ammunition.

In the immortal words of Inspector Harold Francis Callahan, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Old December 20, 2020, 11:42 PM   #55
Moonglum

Can we "Like " a post here?
Old December 21, 2020, 05:12 PM   #56
TunnelRat

How Do You Evaluate What's Necessary For EDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
I think we all make some level of concession to convenience when we choose a carry gun.

The important thing is that we understand what those concessions mean in terms of capability.

There's a strong tendency for people to rationalize, and that can result in unrealistic expectations of the capability of the system composed of us, our carry method, our carry gun and carry ammunition.

In the immortal words of Inspector Harold Francis Callahan, "A man's got to know his limitations."

The only thing I will add to this is that the tendency to rationalize goes both ways (not to say John was excluding this). By this I mean people will rationalize not needing more than a J frame and people will rationalize needing the AR9 in the backpack, as the OP mentions. It’s been my experience that when it comes to firearms most people take the choices they make seriously. Understandably, as on some level they think these choices might have a direct impact on their personal well being. Along with that seems to be the tendency to get defensive if they encounter someone else making a different decision, especially if it runs counter to their own. This isn’t unheard of in other areas, but firearms and the decisions related to them seem to make this more notable.

Whether it’s topping off a magazine, doing a press check, or carrying an AR9 in a backpack, I think the key is that we all make our own choices. Others may well disagree with the choices we make. Like John says the caveat is to know the limitations imposed by our choices. Certainly it is rewarding to read others doing the same as ourselves (confirmation bias is real). Sometimes it can be of value to think through the thought process of someone else to understand their decisions and consider potentially incorporating those into our own setup. If we end up not incorporating anything fair enough, but I know personally I can fall into the trap of being close minded at first. Discussions such as these are great for working through that decision process with others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 21, 2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old December 22, 2020, 01:21 PM   #57
zoo

Quote:
Sometimes it can be of value to think through the thought process of someone else to understand their decisions and consider potentially incorporating those into our own setup. If we end up not incorporating anything fair enough, but I know personally I can fall into the trap of being close minded at first. Discussions such as these are great for working through that decision process with others.
I agree with that, TR. While one risks being regarded as a troll, it is necessary at times in facilitating the ability of others to understand perspectives other than their/our own.
Old December 22, 2020, 03:42 PM   #58
stephen426

When I started carrying, I had a Glock 26. That was 10+1 and could take full sized Glock mags. I didn't carry all the time and I did not carry a reload. I switched to a Kahr PM9 which was only 6+1 or 7+1 with the extended mag. Even though it was only 3-4 rounds less, I decided to start carrying spare mags. I made a pocket mag holster out of shipping envelope cardboard, Tyvex from a mailing envelope (for the inside line to be smooth and water resistant), and coated the outside with duct tape. Don't judge. It lasted for several years.

I switched to a Glock 43 due to the better trigger and had to make a new mag pocket holster. I decided to do it right and I bought some Kydex and Cordura and sewed my own. I put the plus two extensions from Ghost and was up to 23 rounds. Someone brought a Springfield Armory Hellcat and I made the mistake of shooting a few rounds through it. That is now my carry gun and I carry it with the flush fitting 11+1 and carry two 13 round mags (for a total of 38 rounds). I have an extra 13 round mag I can carry, but I don't use it because it has more of a chance of printing.

I practice at the shooting club using the Hellcat most of the time, and I carry the extra mags in my weak side back pocket like I always do. I can reload as fast as the other guys so I don't feel there is an issue with speed.

Do I feel I need 38-40 rounds of ammo? Nope. It is a lot easier and more stable to carry 2 mags so they don't shift in my pocket. It helps to keep them upright and properly oriented, and it looks more like a wallet than a spare mag.
Old December 25, 2020, 12:01 PM   #59
Viper225

My normal everyday carry is a Glock G38.3 IWB with a factory 8 round magazine +1. I have carried for years and I am comfortable most days with 9 rounds on my person.
Sunday Church Security the round count goes up with 2 spare magazines on the belt, and some times when I wear a vest two more in the front pockets. These magazines all have +2 extensions upping the round count on a 45GAP magazine to 9 rounds. With people depending on me I do not plan on running out of ammo if things go bad.
Traveling out of town I will normally carry a double magazine pouch, and again some times the vest with two additional magazines.
Living close to a town like Mayberry I consider the threat level to be about as low as anywhere you can live.
We each need to determine the threat level where we live, work, and travel and arm ourselves accordingly for each threat level.

Bob R
Old December 27, 2020, 11:17 AM   #60
Nanuk

Quote:
Absolutely.

When I started carrying pistols for defense in the early 1980's I had a one question test.

"Is this the gun I want to be carrying if I am involved in a gunfight?".

Understanding that we have little control about what fights find us is part of the battle for the civilian CCW carrier.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 27, 2020, 11:21 AM   #61
Nanuk

Quote:
My normal everyday carry is a Glock G38.3 IWB with a factory 8 round magazine +1. I have carried for years and I am comfortable most days with 9 rounds on my person.
Why is that? I am curious, do you not plan on needing a reload? Even if a fight can be solved with what is in the gun an administrative reload is important because the fight may not be over when you think it is. I would much rather wait for the Calvary with a loaded gun.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 28, 2020, 12:28 AM   #62
Jeff22

Everybody has to evaluate their needs based on a realistic evaluation of the potential threats they might face.

I do very much worry about the security of off body carry, like carrying any kind of gun in a backpack. Or having a "truck gun" in preparation for response to an active shooter situation or a riot, and having that stored unsecured in the cab of a pickup or in the interior of an SUV where it might be stolen simply by smashing a window.

In the city where I live, there have been 87 firearms stolen from vehicles this year. The PD just made an announcement about that on their Facebook page.
Old December 28, 2020, 04:50 AM   #63
Moonglum

This is an article that actually popped up on my Facebook feed I think 3 or 4 years ago.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/that-guy-gearing-up/

It's from a website called primary and secondary. Com that I really don't know anything about. The article itself it was about making a realistic evaluation of what gear you might actually need as a citizen concealed carrier.

There used to be a guy that posted on another forum that never left his home unless he was wearing BDU style pants, combat boots and a rigger belt plus his GLUNK,(and a BUG ) plus a couple of 300.00 $ folders and a 2 million lumen (not really) flashlight and OC spray.

He routinely said if you left your home with any less you simply weren't prepared to defend yourself.

When I first started carrying I fell prey to the idea that I had to be prepared for every eventuality or I couldn't leave my home. I was constantly upgrading and refining my "load out". Then one day I realized I never used half the junk I was carrying and I quit.

I now carry my gun, 2 reloads, a pocket knife (25.00$ Buck), a multi tool ( that I actually use at work) and a $50.00 Fenix flash light.

I also make a point of not wearing "tactical" clothing because I think it's a give away.

Last edited by Moonglum; December 28, 2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old December 28, 2020, 11:41 AM   #64
Kirrich

Sittin' across a card table, my Ruger LCP fits real handy and the .380 Hornady ammo should do the trick.
Otherwise my Browning HP in 9 mm should handle most everything else.
For longer range, not that I carry it, but is available is my all purpose Ruger Scout in .308.
If a situation can't be handled by one of those three, time to get out of Dodge.
Old December 28, 2020, 07:36 PM   #65
pete2

First and foremost the gun must fire every time the trigger is pulled. It must be reasonably accurate at short range(it's for defense). It has to be such that I will carry it. For me my carry is a 5 shot 642 Airweight revolver. Other stuff is too big/too heavy and won't fit in my pocket. I don't carry a reload. If I was to carry a semi I would definitely carry an extra magazine. You never know when a magazine will fail or fall out of the gun. I do have a couple lightweight commanders with holster and mag carrier but haven't had occasion to carry either of them.
Old December 28, 2020, 10:12 PM   #66
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
What criteria do you use to decide what kind of gun you're going to carry on a daily basis? What eventualities are you preparing for?
Hey Moonglum,

in my case I think about the chances of having to confront a threat and the kind of threat.

I think my case is like yours but reversed. I work in the city, but it is coming home at night in the mountains that I have to worry about animals: I had to scare the bear off my trash can three times in the last few years. Every couple of months there is a deer killed in my property by mountain lion.

As for danger in the city, I guess I could get mugged at 9pm when getting off work and pumping some gas on the way back from work.

Since the animal threat if big bodied, I carry my Glock 21 retrofit for 45 Super AIWB. Since I need to be discreet carrying at work and the threat in the city might be a sole assailant, I don't carry any extra mags: I am betting 13 rds ought to suffice for both the bear or the mugger and I can't be printing at work while teaching, I dress "business casual".

No flashlight, on me, just my phone. I have one in the car.
Old December 29, 2020, 04:10 AM   #67
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
Since I need to be discreet carrying at work and the threat in the city might be a sole assailant, I don't carry any extra mags: I am betting 13 rds ought to suffice for both the bear or the mugger and I can't be printing at work while teaching, I dress "business casual".

No flashlight, on me, just my phone. I have one in the car.
The primary reason I carry a spare magazine (actually two) has nothing to do with the possibility of needing more ammunition than is onboard in the gun. In reality I (like most of us) haven't needed so much as the first round.

I carry a reload because the magazine is the weak link in any semiautomatic weapon. As was mentioned above , if (God Forbid) I should ever have to defend myself with a handgun my training dictates that I reload as soon as I think the shooting is over.
Old December 29, 2020, 08:31 AM   #68
CDW4ME

The word concealable was implied but not included.
A Glock 19/23 or 1911 is concealable under typical summer clothes.

it only makes sense to considering an honest assessment of risk

OK. Where would I rather defend my life with a 380 rather than a 9mm or 45? Nowhere.
Its no problem for me to carry a lightweight commander 1911 under a loose untucked shirt, all day; including walking the dogs a mile or two, moving to a new house recently, push mowing the lawn, or a casual bicycle ride.

A pocket 380 in case somebody(s) try to kill me "here" but a 9mm in case somebody(s) try to kill me elsewhere makes no sense to me; I want better ASAP potential regardless of location and I carry accordingly.
Old December 29, 2020, 09:58 AM   #69
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post

The word concealable was implied but not included.
A Glock 19/23 or 1911 is concealable under typical summer clothes.
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass dude. Go back and read the OP. Part of my original question was about 2 guys who are apparently seriously considering carrying AR pistols in back packs to work.

I mean, I get it's not my place to judge but isn't there some point where we've gone over the edge?
Old December 29, 2020, 10:04 AM   #70
Pistoler0

Quote:
my original question was about 2 guys who are apparently seriously considering carrying AR pistols in back packs to work.
I mean, I get it's not my place to judge but isn't there some point where we've gone over the edge?
I don't know, if it is allowed and they like to carry the AR and they do it safely, why not?
Besides being tools, my firearms are also a source of enjoyment for me. I like them like some people like watches, fancy top of the line laptops, phones or cars.

Why drive your Corvette, or Mustang, or Suzuki Hayabusa, to work, when the speed limit all across the US tops at 75 mph? Isn't that going over the edge?
And your F-150 Raptor when you are just going to get coffee at Starbucks?

Why DD breast implants when a C cup is adequate?

Look, as far as I am concerned, there are certain things about a dude that I don't need to know or see. One of those things is what they carry.
Carry whatever you wish as long as it is legal and you do it responsibly and you keep it to yourself.

Last edited by Pistoler0; December 29, 2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old December 29, 2020, 10:46 AM   #71
Moonglum

Quote:
I don't know, if it is allowed and they like to carry the AR and they do it safely, why not?
How many employers do you think would be OK with you bringing an SBR to work?
Old December 29, 2020, 02:23 PM   #72
Pistoler0

In my state of Colorado the law protects me and they cannot ask. They also cannot have policies barring it except carry at K-12 schools, which is forbidden.

So it is none of their business.

It varies state to state of course.
Old December 29, 2020, 02:42 PM   #73
Moonglum

Quote:
In my state of Colorado the law protects me and they cannot ask. They also cannot have policies barring it except carry at K-12 schools, which is forbidden.

So it is none of their business.

It varies state to state of course.
I live in Colorado too bro and none of what you just said is true. Your employer can absolutely bar you from bringing a gun to work. He can bar you from having one in your car on his property. And that desk you sit at? That's his and he can search HIS any time he pleases.
Old December 29, 2020, 03:00 PM   #74
Pistoler0

Quote:
I live in Colorado too bro and none of what you just said is true. Your employer can absolutely bar you from bringing a gun to work. He can bar you from having one in your car on his property. And that desk you sit at? That's his and he can search HIS any time he pleases.
Well CO bro, I am sure that ALL of what I said is right. << CORRECTION: it turns out I am the one who is WRONG, read two posts below #76 >>

The parking lot is his. He can bar your from having a gun at/in your desk at work, or in your vehicle at HIS parking lot (park somewhere else), NOT from conceal carrying it. And he cannot ask you if you are conceal carrying.

There is only one way to check though, lets both of us look at the statute and then report back? Maybe another thread?

Last edited by Pistoler0; December 29, 2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old December 29, 2020, 03:02 PM   #75
TunnelRat

How Do You Evaluate What's Necessary For EDC

Quote:
Well CO bro, I am sure that ALL of what I said is right.

The parking lot is his. Your car is not. Your pants are not his either. He can bar your from having a gun at/in your desk at work, NOT from conceal carrying it. And he cannot ask you if you are conceal carrying.

There is only one way to check though, lets both of us look at the statute and then report back? Maybe another thread?

If you can be barred from having it at work, how would that then not apply to concealed carrying at work? You can play the game of how will they know, but it doesn’t mean you’re not in violation of policy that could see you terminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk