The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 18, 2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Bennett

Marlin "trail riders" limited edition

I just pick up one of these, who knows if they are rare or collectible.
I had never seen or heard of this model.
Help would be much appreciated.
Old November 18, 2017, 02:50 PM   #2
RJay

Having never seen one or even heard of such an animal I let my fingers do some research. They are basely a Glenfield version of the Marlin and quite a few were made for the Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company in the 1980's, there seems to be very little interest in them as a collectors item and more desirable as a working gun. The prices I have seen are in line with a comparable Marlin. Perhaps others has more information and more valid values. Good luck and hoot safe
Old November 18, 2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Marlin models 36 levers and earlier do have some collectors value. 336s have a little. Button 336 models NON and I doubt they ever will.

Commemorative models value is based on how many were made. Less is better. Lots and you have yourself a fancy hunter/shooter only.
Old November 18, 2017, 06:01 PM   #4
jmr40

Based on my research it is just a cheap Glenfield model 30; a budget version of the Marlin 336 made as a special run for a hardware store chain in 1980.

Marlin and Winchester both made numerous versions of limited editions for anyone who would buy a minimum order. Most today aren't worth any more than a comparable standard gun. And they can be much harder to sell so sellers often discount them for less than standard models.

But it is about finding the right buyer. If an individual really wants one for sentimental reasons they may well pay a premium. For example they got that exact model for Christmas in 1980 and had to sell it later for financial reasons. Finding another 30+ years later is like looking for a needle in a haystack and that person may well pay a lot for it.

One notable exception is the Marlin 30 TK. A special run of the 336 made just for K-Mart from 1988-1990. They have cheap birch wood, but with a shorter 18.5" barrel and a straight grip. When those pop up they bring a premium.

Winston Churchill
Old November 18, 2017, 09:31 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

My quick dive into the Google results showed only Marlin being cited as the designated manufacturer, with the model being a variation of the standard Marlin Model 30. Where are you guys coming up with Glenfield?
Old November 18, 2017, 10:23 PM   #6
Bennett

Marlin trail riders

I personally can't tell the difference from a 336 but the barrel
says Model 3080.
I just wanted a Marlin 30/30 again.
I let the JM stamped 336 go that I had for a time and didn't shoot it much
being sorry after a while I wanted another.
I was just curious as to the value of it.
When I saw the mention of Oklahoma Tire and Supply it brought back
lots of memories. They were a good company and being an okie
I am glad that I have it for the sentimental value now.
Thanks for all the replies, I always enjoy the good responses.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving