The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 19, 2007, 12:33 PM   #26
Camguy

A very educational thread for me. I live in Virginia, so I was completely unaware of laws in other states such as Texas mandating "full concealment."
Since it's open carry here I'd face no legal issues if I printed.
Mind you, once I do get my CCW, I'll make every effort to carry discreetly, but what with all the things people have hanging off their belts these days I'm not going to worry too much if I bend over the wrong way and there's a visible bulge in my shirt.
When I bought my 92 FS I half-jokingly asked the dealer for a bag so I "didn't scare the citizens." He said "most people won't know what it is, and the ones who do won't care."
As for deranged ex-felons seeking veneance or gangbangers wanting an early Christmas, I'm not going to worry about those scenarios AT ALL for two reasons: they are so remotely unlikely as to be laughable, and secondly, I'll have a gun!
Old November 21, 2007, 04:55 AM   #27
grey sky

printing

I have spotted a couple of LEO printing. Fewer citizens or I didn't care (I don't view average joe as a threat) I find it unlikely anybody is looking that close at my figure to know or care about what is what under my clothing. Much ado about nothing. Behavior will give one away faster than printing.
Old November 21, 2007, 11:17 AM   #28
obxned

I've seen more than a few people who I was pretty sure were carrying. Then their guns would 'ring' and they would answer them. Not every funny lump is a gun.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety

Last edited by obxned; November 23, 2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old November 21, 2007, 05:06 PM   #29
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
As an aside, it's strange that in Texas, the land of "everyone has a gun" printing is illegal, but here in Michigan, a veritable USSR by comparison, prinitng is OK as long as you're allowed to carry concealed in the first place. Go figure.
I don't know what they'd be able to do in Michigan for mere "printing" since there is no law against open carry here.
Old November 21, 2007, 08:14 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Just to clarify, it's not illegal to accidentally print in TX. The statute requires that the gun be concealed from normal observation. If you made a reasonable effort to conceal then it's not an issue if a gust of wind blows your shirt flat against the gun and it shows. But the initial post on this thread makes it sound like it's ok to print even if you know that your gun is easily detectable. That may be legal in some places, just not in TX.

Whether or not it's a good idea in the places where it's legal is another story altogether.
Old November 22, 2007, 07:43 AM   #31
imthegrumpyone

The more I read this forum, and some of the questions and advise given, I can see why we have a problem with guns. Half of you have no business owning or carrying, my dimes worth.
Old November 22, 2007, 08:31 AM   #32
Crimp

The West Virginia Code states:

Quote:
61-7-2(10) "Concealed" means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the deadly weapon was being carried.
This Code is the one I'm mostly concerned with and I believe it's well stated. If someone sees your piece in the "ordinary course of events," then you are not concealed and are subject to the consequences. Punishment for printing is another story. The worst situation might be considered "brandishing" by a zealous officer and would be a misdemeanor if prosecuted.

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old November 22, 2007, 08:57 AM   #33
rampage841512

My 1911 prints* in a few of the shirts I wear, but you know what? It makes me look just like every other yuppie with a cell phone on a belt clip under my shirt with an IWB holster.

*By 'print' I generally mean that there is a noticable out line of something under my shirt, but not what that something is.
Old November 23, 2007, 01:41 AM   #34
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
The more I read this forum, and some of the questions and advise given, I can see why we have a problem with guns. Half of you have no business owning or carrying, my dimes worth.
Old November 23, 2007, 07:58 AM   #35
Tanzer

Well yougun,
Still think it's okay to print?
Quote:
Please explain.
Old November 23, 2007, 10:06 AM   #36
joab

Don't encourage him, it's a habit
Don't play and he will go away

Hee hee hee, so easy to get 'em all razzed up.
Old November 23, 2007, 10:26 AM   #37
NukemJim

Dear grumpybutt, I think you might be on the wrong website. Why don't you try this one

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

NukemJim

"Guns shoot bullets.
People shoot people."
Old November 23, 2007, 02:07 PM   #38
Boris Bush

You guys are a odd bunch. Didn't anyone ever teach you that there is a difference from cover and concealment? No matter what you do, if you are "concealing" a pistol it will print. Some way some how it is going to put an odd shape to your body. According to some here the very act of legaly carrying a pistol would therefore be illegal bucause you just told the world you are carrying.

If you read the laws, most will be the same. It is only considered brandishing if you let any part of the pistol become visible. The LAW says not one word about "printing". Now if you would please excuse me, I have to go do some black friday shopping. I hope no one bumps into me on my carry side while bucking the crowds.......
Old November 23, 2007, 02:34 PM   #39
Double Naught Spy

Boris, that has to be one of the more naive posts I have read in a while. This isn't an issue of cover and concealment. We are not talking about hiding versus ballistic protection. And no, not all concealed firearms print. There you are mistaken.

Many forms of carry do result in printing, no doubt. However, they should not result in printing that makes the object being concealed be recognized for what it is.

If YOU read the laws, you will find they are not all the same. For example, many states don't consider a visible gun to be brandishing, but some do. As for laws not mentioned the word "print" or "printing," you are probably right, but in some places like Texas, if the printing is such that the gun can be recognized as a gun during normal observation, then it is not concealed and hence is illegally carried (by a CHL holder).
Old November 23, 2007, 04:13 PM   #40
Tanzer

Quote:
No matter what you do, if you are "concealing" a pistol it will print
I'd lay odds that I could show two pictures of myself wearing the same button down short sleeve shirt on a summer day, and you could do nothing more than guess as to which one had me concealing a .45 ACP OWB. Likewise, two pictures of me in business attire. In which one am I carrying a .32 Kel-Tec in my front pocket?
Old November 23, 2007, 08:51 PM   #41
sw_florida

Any gun hid under your clothes produces a bulge. But the bulge must not print in a way so that the shape is easily recognizable as that of a gun. That is how I interprete the law and I haven't been arrested yet.
Old November 23, 2007, 10:01 PM   #42
geezer in NH

Man I am happy I do not live in one of the new Nanny CCW states.

Print being illegal? The gun is covered, duh that is concealed no where does the law say the shape of a gun to be illegal.

Note in your states all this crap is coming from the LEO and DA's who hate that they are not the elite anymore. You think you have CCW but you don't.
Old November 23, 2007, 11:02 PM   #43
Wildalaska

I dont carry anything big enough to print

WildineverythingdiscretionAlaska TM
Old November 25, 2007, 09:01 PM   #44
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I dont carry anything big enough to print
Yep. I imagine around about now, you could hide a Barrett under all that clothing.
Old November 25, 2007, 10:13 PM   #45
Wildalaska

Quote:
Yep. I imagine around about now, you could hide a Barrett under all that clothing.
Its 29 degrees, thats shorts weather

WildseecampweatherAlaska TM
Old November 25, 2007, 11:47 PM   #46
XD Gunner

I was carrying when a LEO (Fish and Wildlife) spoke to me at my aunts store. I was wearing a thin fleece pullover with a rather large OWB and an XD40 service, he had no idea what it was that was making such a huge bulge on my side...

I showed him my CCDW and it hit him...

Sometimes LEO's aren't even paying attention.
Old November 26, 2007, 08:30 AM   #47
Spade Cooley

I might be getting a little off topic but once anyone knows you are concealed carry, you have lost a big advantage. Bad guys practice taking away guns in prison and taking one away one from a civialian would be a piece of cake. They practice in order to take them away from LEOs. They look upon the general public as unarmed scarred rabitts. We should keep our readiness a secret which could give us the upper hand. Let the use of the weapon be a surprise and you will come out on top if you use your head.

Granted, Someone seeing the pistol is not the end of the world but I would rather they didn't know I had one.
Old November 26, 2007, 08:54 AM   #48
Tanzer

Spade,
I agree with you, but your reply belongs on a thread named; Is it STUPID to print?
Old November 26, 2007, 10:57 AM   #49
Kruniac

Firstly, if the law states that accidental printing is "okay", then how idiotic do you have to be to get busted for printing?

If the police question you about your print - say "I didnt really catch that. Someone mentioned it and I thought I had fixed the printing." I mean.. how hard is that? Two seconds to feed the cops a line that saves you from legal hassle.

Another thing to realize is that it really shouldnt matter if people can see that you are packing. This isnt a beauty contest, or a "tough guy" competition. CCWs are for shooting people, or just scaring off a threat in some cases. I've carried at public gatherings and so forth, and when someone comments I just say "Yeah, its a gun." if they ask to see it... "No, man. I just have it for protection, theres no need to bring it out around people." Its not hard.
Old November 26, 2007, 06:18 PM   #50
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Its 29 degrees, thats shorts weather
My thunder, it's colder than that, here!