The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 31, 2006, 10:01 PM   #1
Ignatz

Glock 17L

I did'nt want to hijack the below topic on the Glock 17 and 34, but what purpose or "game" is a Glock 17L for? I just saw a new one at a shop last weekend. They all seem similar except for barrel length.
Old March 31, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2
HSMITH

IIRC the 17L is another 3/4" longer than the 34, with a full 6" barrel. Other than that there isn't much difference.

I have seen a few in USPSA matches, I have heard that PPC shooters use them occaisionally too. It would be a good GSSF gun for sure.
Old April 1, 2006, 08:34 AM   #3
38_Super

17L also has a lighter trigger pull - since it is a match gun, you would hope that the action would be smoother in addition to lighter. I know that some shooters have tried to acquire the trigger groups to drop into their own Glock but they appear to be unobtainium.

IIRC, they have vents/ports in a slot at the front - essentially a type of compensator.

Don't know what game Glock would say this is for, but they came out when Glock started becoming a hot item in IPSC/USPSA limited class, and were an apparent response to requests for USPSA match guns. At this point in time, red dot scopes were just arriving on the scene _grin_

My guess is that as of today, the 17L is a gun in hunt of a game - the comp puts it in open class, probably makes it illegal for IDPA

I've never seen one. Would like to see how it felt.

Ought to make a killer house gun