The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 13, 2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Greg Bell

Maxsight contact lenses? Any use in sport shooting...?

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...rss.technology
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old February 14, 2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Striker

Perhaps for claybirds against a close in background. I wear yellow or amber in situations like that. I have lately taken to wearing amber at night routinely, finds in sharpens and "brightens" in low light.

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old February 14, 2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Jim Watson

You might get some improvement in contrast if your target and background were compatible with the lens colors. Bear in mind that any tint reduces the total amount of light available and the color gimmicks cannot change that. I wear the lightest tint available in regular shooting glasses and recommend the same unless you are very bothered by glare. Also remember that contacts don't protect you from flying gas or debris and you would have to wear glasses over the trick contacts for shooting.
Old February 14, 2006, 07:39 PM   #4
CTC01

Being a 43 year old service rifle shooter I am looking for somthing to improve my failing vision. My prescription safety glasses sofar are doing OK but I keep hearing from older shooters that "its only going to get worse".

Hate the thought of wearing contacts (cant stand stuff in my eye) but if it helps the score I would be willing to try it.

Any thoughts older & wiser ones
Old February 14, 2006, 10:35 PM   #5
scottys1

I am a long time contact lens wearer.

I suppose having tinted contacts would be of value in a situation where glasses are undesirable or to enable wearing of clear glasses. A smart sporting shooter wears glasses for protection anyway so having tinted glasses is no hardship. Shooting glasses are also easily changed for a different tint to suit changing conditions. The same cannot be said for contacts. I use contacts for prescription purposes and let glasses handle protection and other duties. The only time I would shoot without eye protection would be in a SHTF situation.
Old February 15, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Tim R

Quote:
Being a 43 year old service rifle shooter I am looking for somthing to improve my failing vision. My prescription safety glasses sofar are doing OK but I keep hearing from older shooters that "its only going to get worse".

Hate the thought of wearing contacts (cant stand stuff in my eye) but if it helps the score I would be willing to try it.

Any thoughts older & wiser ones
I've got ten years on you and I'm just getting into the front sight getting fuzzy on my S/R's. Last year I started having a real problem last year figuring out where the front post is at when shooting at 600 yards. The front sight is crisp until I get it next to the aiming black.

I have an advantage as I have a close relative who is an MD eye doctor who is also a hunter. He says there is nothing to be done medically at this time. So we are stuck with lens.

There are a couple of ways to go. One way is the Jones lens system which puts a small lens in the rear sight. I was going to go that way until I was told his len's are not opticly clean. I do know a couple of old HP shooters who thought their S/R days were over until they installed the Jones lens on their rifle.

I have been using Knoblocks for many years as I am near sighted. (not choke bottle either) They have clear filters which are +.025, +.050 and +.075. I have the +.025 and the +.050 to try out.

I was going to try the new filters out here last weekend but wouldn't you know I forgot to put the Knoblocks in my stool and had to shoot the M-1 match with my regular glasses which is a PITA. I managed to still win the match but I believe my scores would have been much better with my Knoblocks even without my new filters.

Last edited by Tim R; February 17, 2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old February 16, 2006, 05:26 PM   #7
CTC01

I shoot mostly reduced course (mostly 200yd) dont get to shoot 600 alot. I know what your saying about the front sight and the black on the target blending together. I have a small dot of yellow paint on the front sight which seems to help.

I have been considering a Jones lense. I got new glasses a couple months back. I'm going to see how things look when the season starts up again..
Old February 19, 2006, 12:20 PM   #8
sjhark

Hello, everyone. A new guy here and this is my first post. I have had some experience with contact lenses having worn them for several years and shooting in High Power and Combat matches (National Guard). I've learned to shoot only with glasses as I seem to have a problem with forgetting to blink while sighting. This causes contacts to dry out and makes it very difficult to see the front sight. Disasterous in the rapid fire events.