The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 1998, 09:01 PM   #1
PCurrent

Has anyone ever tryed painting a rifle stock camoflage? Any good techniques? How about a synthetic stock?
Thanks,
-PCurrent
Old December 4, 1998, 09:06 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Synthetic stocks should be dipped (anyone know who does that?)

honestly, I have painted a few wooden and one sythetic stocks a long time ago. Buy one of the 4 color kits from Hunter Specialties and start with the lighter colors, then add the darker ones (tan, green, brown, black). I fyou want to be fancy you can use leaves as stencils, fern and oak leaves make cool traces. Do your stenciling with the brown and green, depending on the season and terrain for best results. Green background for spring/summer or someplace with lots of evergreen and brown background for fall/winter.
Then use the flat non-reflective lacquer coating to protect you masterpiece.

Good Luck.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 4, 1998, 09:15 PM   #3
Rosco Benson

As with anything that you wish to have paint stick to, remove all of the dirt, grease, and grunge from the stock. If the surface is glossy, sand it and re-clean. You can then paint the stock with spray cans of flat, earth-tone paint that you can find in most well-stock discount stores (I found a line of camoflage paints from Krylon at a local Meighers) or from Brownells.

On the ones I've done, I simply sprayed the stock with a base coat of olive green and then sprayed angled and random stripes of light tan and dark brown. Don't skimp on the light color(s). If you get the stock too dark, it won't hide well. I never tried to replicate "woodland camo" or anything fancy. I just broke up the outline.

The "Spray Grit" product that Brownells sells can be sprayed onto the areas of the stock on which you want some extra traction.

Rosco
Old December 5, 1998, 08:22 PM   #4
PCurrent

So do you think it's worth doing, or should I just pay Camoflage Technology the $50 to do it? I have more time than money, but CamoTech will paint some nice paterns. Thanks for the feed back,
-PCurrent
Old December 5, 1998, 08:47 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

PC I am not familar with Camo-techs process. There are good ones and bad ones out there. Look at it this way, you could try it out for yourself, then if you are not happy, get one of the "professionals" to do it. You might save yourself 30 bucks or learn a $20 lesson about your lack of artistic talent.

------------------
-Essayons