The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 4, 2016, 05:34 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Traditions Kentucky Rifle Range Trip.

I was going to build the Traditions Kentucky Rifle from a kit. Instead I took the easy way out and ordered the factory finished rifle. I figured I have alot of tools to gather first, so I'll just put off a kit till later. Anyway, the rifle looks great, the fit and finish is pretty good. After wiping it down and cleaning the bore I took it to the range today to see what a budget Kentucky style rifle can do. I popped about a dozen caps to get used to the single trigger. It's heavy but not too bad. I fired 3 shot groups at 50 yards with 70-90 grains of FFg KIK Black and a .490 ball and .015" ticking patches. The rifle seems to like 90 grains. It shot all groups to the right. I had forgot my brass punch to drift the sight. All in all I'm happy with it. Not too bad for the money. I am not crazy about the 2 piece stock but it's sturdy and does the job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old September 4, 2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Model12Win

Looks like a great hunting rifle! Good job on it!
Old September 4, 2016, 10:46 PM   #3
Hawg

Cool Beans! You can swap the brass spacer out for something less noticeable.
Old September 4, 2016, 10:57 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Yeah Hawg I plan to do just that. I remembered you saying that on another thread. So I'm gonna fashion another spacer. At first I thought about doing it with wood and try to stain it to match. But I've been thinking of doing one out of steel and blacken it. Also, what can I do to knock the shine off the brass on this thing, short of painting or waiting for it to tarnish? This rifle is alot lighter than it looks so it's gonna be nice to tote it in the woods. But I don't want all the shiny.

Old September 4, 2016, 11:20 PM   #5
Hawg

It's probably got a coat of lacquer on it you'll have to remove first. Once that's gone it should mellow pretty quick.
Old September 4, 2016, 11:25 PM   #6
deerslayer303

Oh ok. Maybe I'll drop it in some mineral spirits or thinner. I'm one that thinks brass looks better tarnished, weathered and dull anyway.

Old September 5, 2016, 01:10 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
I'm one that thinks brass looks better tarnished, weathered and dull anyway.
Me too, I hate shiny brass.
Old September 5, 2016, 02:11 AM   #8
FrontierGander

leave it! Every wood spacer ive seen done has looked like crap. Looks dont make it shoot any better. Enjoy it and have fun. It will put meat in the freezer, 2 piece stock and all.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:56 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Those inexpensive Spanish guns can shoot well.
Old September 5, 2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Pahoo

More than one way to skin this cat !!!

Slayer,
Another option on that brassy look is to burnish the edges with scotch-bright and apply some Brass-black. Spot bluing will also give you that tarnish look. I often do this when restoring or making new Hickory rods, for older SideLocks. ..

However, knowing how you like to tinker sounds like more fun to make your own. Counter top laminate samples also work and are cheap. .....

Very nice work and
Be Safe !!!