The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2011, 02:01 PM   #1
MontyCop05

Savage 220 Scope and mounts???

Fellas,

I'm picking up a Savage model 220 bolt action 20ga next week. I've pretty much decided on going with either the Nikon Slug Hunter or the Leupold Utimateslam as my scope choice. I know the 220 takes the same bases as the Savage 110 as its the same long action, however I'm concerned about mounting the scope low enough and also having enough room to properly eject the spent shells. I really like the Nikon but its a moderately short tube and I'm worried that I'm going to have to use some type of one piece base, or crazy high off-set rings to mount it correctly.

For those of you that have, or have had the 220, what kind of scope did you have on it, and what base/rings did yo use??

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old September 23, 2011, 07:33 PM   #2
SteelChickenShooter

You Should Be Fine

I have the same shotgun with Leupold bases, rings and the Ultimate Slam scope. Everything is just great. No problems. Shoots like a dream. Scope is about as low as you could ever get it. The action is flawless, spent shells eject without a hitch contrary to some other reports I found about that topic.
This is one sweet setup and lays those rounds smack dab on the money. I've posted threads here before regarding problems or complaints about other guns- not true with this one. I have not learned how to insert a photo of my scope, base , ring combo as installed, but I think I can place one on photobucket and then attach a link. Let me know if we need to do something along that line.
Old September 23, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3
MontyCop05

That would be great if you could post a pic of your set up...I'd like to see it before I go ahead and just buy the nikon.

If you have photobucket, just copy and paste the img code right into the post and it should work. If not then post the link.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:41 AM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

Ulti-Slam on 220 w/ covers

Old September 25, 2011, 04:57 PM   #5
MontyCop05

Nice!
Old September 25, 2011, 05:16 PM   #6
SteelChickenShooter

Follow-Up

Since I posted this photo, I did experiment in the trials section and learned how to resize the photos so they are not so large.
Old September 25, 2011, 05:21 PM   #7
MontyCop05

What bases/rings did you use?? I'm going to go with the Luepold Slam scope.
Old October 10, 2011, 11:06 PM   #8
MontyCop05

Here she is

Old October 10, 2011, 11:08 PM   #9
MontyCop05

Thanks again for the help Steel Chicken
Old October 11, 2011, 12:15 AM   #10
SteelChickenShooter

I am very well pleased with mine. It seems to like the Hornady 20ga SST the best, but other brands are more than adequate. Unlike a problem shotgun I was trying earlier, this Savage bolt action sure does work. I only hope when I say things like that that others will find the same pleasing accuracy and operation I have. We exchanged private messages regarding the hardware. Did you end up using the same part numbers? I know in my case the install looked a bit odd, but it sure does work.
Old October 11, 2011, 04:25 AM   #11
MontyCop05

Yes I used mostly the same part numbers. With the ones you provided, and a little research, I found that most of the Savage 110 (round rear receiver) parts play well with the 220. So some of the parts I used are exactly the same, some are off buy a digit or two. Thats just because I used all matte finish Leupold parts. And the Mount is actually perfect. I dont know what your dealer meant but having to mount a piece backwards...?? In any case the scope is as low to the gun as one could want, and the eye relief is perfect. It really came out nice. I very pleased that I went with the two piece like you have instead of the EGW one piece mount.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:40 PM   #12
OLD PAINLESS

Savage 220 rings and base

i'm thinking of purchasing a savage. don't know what optics to go with. I read your guys post here on this thread and I saw your matte black gun. I was wondering what the base and rings numbers were? your gun looks awesome. sleek and low with enough clearance to eject spent shells. If you guys could help me out, that be great.
Old October 17, 2012, 11:50 PM   #13
SteelChickenShooter

LEU65480 Ultimate Slam
LEB55741 Leupold Std. 2 pc. base, gloss, 10/110 Savage, round receiver fit.
LEB49908 Leupold rings, 1" extention, low, matte black
00079 Butler Creek scope cap covers.
The dealer did note one part was reversed to fit.
If the combo as installed looks funny, I would not disagree. But it does fit, and it does work, and I am very well pleased with performance.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #14
redrick

My LGS moved into a new location last week. The old Grander Mountain building. Gander Mountain couldn't make it with Bass Pro & the LGS within 2 miles of them.

They had the 220 for $430. I am thinking about getting it even though I went in looking at something else. They had a couple used ones with scopes already mounted using DMZ one piece mounts.

If I do decide too get it, I am going too put a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope on it, with the DMZ low mount. Redfield has a $30 rebate going on, so I can get it for about $119 after the rebate.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:12 PM   #15
Magnum Mike

I bought the 212. I bought the weaver style mount for $3.99. I believe the number was 402. It sets back the front rings to mount a sluggun scope. I love the gun, it will clover leaf at 100 yards.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:27 PM   #16
OLD PAINLESS

savage 220 setup

Thanks for the parts list. I will look at my local gun store and see if i can whip it together. thanks again.